<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

James Taylor

April 12 2016 at 10:29 AM
Guest  (Login EastYorkshireTyke)
from IP address 213.249.140.86

Had to retire at 26 due to serious heart condition. Very sad news for him.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: James Taylor

April 12 2016, 10:32 AM 

I wondered why he was not playing for Notts in the current match.

Very sad news. An excellent player. A future long England career at an end. Best wishes to him for a full recovery.

This message has been edited by StuartRA from IP address 79.69.134.167 on Apr 12, 2016 11:13 AM

(Login matthefish2002)

April 12 2016, 10:37 AM 

After reading this post I had to go on BBC sport website to make sure I had got the right James Taylor. Really sad news at only 26 and had a decent winter with the England test side.
Remember 2014 T20 v Notts at Headingley when he won the game by himself just about in the 19th Over.
Seems a decent bloke and would wish him good luck in the future.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

April 12 2016, 10:42 AM 

Unbelievable. Terribly sad news.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 12 2016, 10:58 AM 

Good grief, I'm genuinely shocked. He was playing test cricket just a few weeks ago.
Best wishes to him.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

April 12 2016, 11:15 AM 

Really sad news although thankfully not as sad as it could have been if the medical team at Notts hadn't made this discovery. I hope he manages to stay in the game in some capacity (if that's what he wants to do) as I'm sure he'll have a lot to offer.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

April 12 2016, 11:33 AM 

Yes, thank goodness it has has been spotted.
What a shock to see this on Sky sports news today.
A truly gutsy batsman with a bright future, it seemed.

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 12 2016, 12:00 PM 

Christ, that's awful. Better they found out about it now rather than due to a terrible incident on the field, but what a shock to the system that must be...

Agree that he was a fine player, with an excellent county record and quite likely an international career ahead of him. Seemed a good, level-headed bloke too. A big loss for cricket in England.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 12 2016, 12:17 PM 

Shock news. Went on Cricinfo to catch up with the CC scores, and there it was. One moment you're an England player, the next you're gone for ever, down the Job Centre.

My abiding memory will be his fielding at short-leg in S Africa, especially the two sensational catches as they were skittled out in Joburg.

This is my best action shot, I think, though not a catch. The two catches are in the same album, but the still photos don't really do them justice.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/24831573159/in/album-72157664064940035/

Tyke 1950
(Login Tyke1950)

April 12 2016, 12:26 PM 

Desperately sad news. Cricket is enormously the poorer for his absence.
There was so much still to come. He deserves a richly fulfilling and happy future.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

April 12 2016, 12:30 PM 

It also begs some questions - if it's a congenital disorder, why wasn't it spotted by the England medical back-up? Or if it's just developed recently is there not a surgical solution? Also it will be very difficult to manage it through the rest of his life,I would have thought, given that exercise will presumably be problematical and he'll have to watch his diet carefully. I would hate to be in that position and hope the professional cricketers' association will help.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 12 2016, 4:14 PM 

Due to have an operation on Friday I believe. Hopefully he will be fit enough to do everything short of being a professional sportsman.

Look forward to seeing his smiling face around the game for many years to come.

Best wishes to him and his family and friends.

Rey
(Login Rey2)

April 12 2016, 5:06 PM 

I don't think you can cast any blame on the England medical team, there seems to have been no signs until just recently. He will a defibrillator implanted to stop the effects of the condition, but is still unable to take part in professional sport.
Also to correct an above post, Taylor was feeling unwell and sent home from the university game, and later went to A&E complaining of a high heart rate and light-headedness - so you can't credit the Notts team for 'spotting' it, I don't think. Credit to the hospital staff, who were obviously better equipped to detect such a rare condition.

The saddest part for me is that Taylor was only just starting to get the recognition he deserved, after a few years of being on the England sidelines. Whilst not cementing a place in the Test side, you could've seen him taking plenty of runs this season, and deserved a longer run in the ODI side.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

April 12 2016, 6:04 PM 

Fair enough, I'd just assumed the Notts medical team. Whoever spotted the signs/ordered the tests deserves huge credit.

(Login dpressed)

April 12 2016, 8:41 PM 

Agree. Very sad. I remember a young Taylor winning a T20 match for Leicestershire played on a Sunday morning because England were playing Germany in the World Cup in South Africa in the afternoon. He will be missed. I hope it all goes well for him

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 12 2016, 10:04 PM 

Sad news for such a talented player just starting out on a test career after a few false starts. I admire him for overcoming previous challenges he faced due to his stature and the Pietersen bullying episode and I am sure he will find a role within cricket somewhere else in a coaching or admin capacity where he will excel.

The level of wishes from a wide mix of people in the game are both a reflection on his popularity but also how cricket is one big family.

I wish him well with the treatment he needs and also the next phase of his cricket career.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

April 12 2016, 10:59 PM 

Yes this is really said. On Cricinfo you'll see he has posted a message under the hashtag 'when life gives you lemons' ... implying the optimism of someone who wants to find a way to make lemonade. In the circumstances this is really courageous of him, on the (likely) assumption it is genuine and not organised by PR people. My sharpest picture of him is near the pavilion at Trent Bridge, our 2014 championship-winning game,, exchanging a few words with Joe Root. Their body language was so warm and friendly it spoke of years of junior international play and practice together, as England stars in the making. Sad that this is not to be for him. But the condition is manageable and liveable with, and a better outcome for him than a Muamba-type incident.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 13 2016, 8:44 AM 

Indeed - its very sad but thank goodness it was spotted and diagnosed.
If it hadn't been found the consequences could have been much more serious..

JG
(Login _JG_)

April 14 2016, 4:29 PM 

Gale's tweet mentioned Taylor as one of his "best friends in cricket". I didn't know that- good to see players from different countries who have at most only ever played together briefly for the Lions getting on well.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 22 2016, 8:59 PM 

Encouraging news that the lad is now out of hospital.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/36112944

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk