<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Alibor
(Login alibor11)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Warwickshire vs Yorkshire at Birmingham (Day 1)

April 24 2016, 2:44 PM 

Well said ECT - we cannot live on past year's successes and we need to recognise our frailties and that the CC opposition will be stronger. I see Sangakkara has already scored ton today - like Kane Williamson he is top class number 3(or4). Bet David Willey is disappointed at not being played from the outset in CC after being persuaded to move to us and what more does young Rhodes need to do to get a CC place? However, maybe Rashid and Plunkett will get tons to rescue us today if we lose Ballance and Leaning. However, if we lose all of our test players, we need to have others ready and in form to fill places - which is not an easy scenario.

Ball_Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

Ball Supping

April 24 2016, 3:10 PM 

Superb & creative beer range in the Tom Dollery Member's Lounge at Edgbaston. All basically from the Marston's stable.

Pedigree on cask
Pedigree & New World Pale on keg
Revisionist Craft Stout on keg
and
Boon Doggle
Brakspear Bitter
E.P.A.
Forty Niner
Sneck Lifter
all in bottles. And your industrial lager & cider offerings.

A great way to organise it if you're tied in to one supplier. A big Salute.

Phil
Twitter @ball_sup
Blog Address
http://www.ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

Re: Ball Supping

April 24 2016, 5:22 PM 

Excellent 50s by Leaning and Ballance. Not that easy conditions and under pressure at 85-4.

Alibor
(Login alibor11)

April 24 2016, 5:38 PM 

Agree again ECT - very well done Ballance and Leaning under pressure and not the best conditions for batting.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

April 24 2016, 5:50 PM 

I think that may be that. Bad light under the floodlights - only cricket authorities could manage that. Happily, Leicester game on in the main stand restaurant 😊

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 24 2016, 5:55 PM 

Frustrating day listening doing my decorating, feel for those who have gone down.

Cricket wise it's very much in the ballance, eventually leaning towards having been not a bad day for Yorkshire. Time will tell of course and there is hopefully going to be a second chance for Lees and Gale to get some runs.

Should be a fascinating day 2, weather permitting.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 24 2016, 6:10 PM 

Not a great day overall. As well as our performance, I actually went to watch Cas getting hammered by the worst side in Super League.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

April 24 2016, 6:54 PM 

"....I actually went to watch Cas getting hammered by the worst side in Super League."

I know the feeling.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

April 24 2016, 7:17 PM 

Re the toss, have we decided to opt for the toss whenever we're away from home or was today's decision taken because we didn't know what to do?
Otherwise if we really wanted to bat why didn't Gale simply opt to do that rather than risk losing the toss?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 24 2016, 7:20 PM 

OF ---- The "away" side do not have that option. They either bowl first without a toss, or if they want to bat first they have to toss.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

April 24 2016, 7:22 PM 

Maybe it would have been better to award the toss to the away side that way teams would be looking to prepare wickets that looked like they'd have something in them for batsmen and bowlers instead of the inevitable temptation to prepare roads.

This message has been edited by WhiteroseDave from IP address 86.140.77.145 on Apr 24, 2016 7:23 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 24 2016, 7:22 PM 

For an uncontested toss the away captain can only opt to bowl. Like to think we are sticking with tradition and having the toss but I believe it looked like a good pitch to bat on.

Simon
(Login SimonCurtis81)

April 24 2016, 7:44 PM 

Misjudged my clothing today. Frozen.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

April 24 2016, 9:00 PM 

Quite odd reading this thread. You'd think we'd underperformed for half a season minimum, or a bunch of oldies were ripe for replacement.

Our top six have now had three visits to the wicket. Two have centuries, one a double. Two more made unbeaten fifties to pick us up from 82-4 today. One of the other two has a top score of 46 from his 3 innings, not good enough, but not a total disaster. If that's a dodgy line-up, other sides would kill for it. Below no 6 we have Rashid and Plunkett, who are obvious assets at that point in the batting order. There is an issue over involving Rhodes, but there is no obvious candidate for him to replace as yet.

This leaves our one real problem: Alex Lees, whose run of bad form s now a genuine concern. But he's our second captain and has already shown massive potential. It's far too early to drop him and in any case I think Rhodes' future is in the middle order, not opening.

Conclusion ? Calm down for the moment. We're still the quality side. As Gary and Jack (best I've seen him bat for some time, particularly his back foot shots on the off side) a Warwickshire supporter in front of me said 'This is where Yorkshire are better than us. When they get into this position someone always seems to make a score.'

This message has been edited by Idle_man from IP address 82.69.51.91 on Apr 24, 2016 9:08 PM

(Login matthefish2002)

April 24 2016, 10:38 PM 

Was a frustrating day with all the stoppages. They never seem to be in a hurry to get the game back on. Light & rain didn't seem that bad to me. And I can not remember when I felt so cold watching cricket. Also not impressed with Edgbaston scorebord which wasnt working.

Got a sinking feeling when Bairstows furniture got rearranged but Leaning & Ballance excellent in steadying the ship. Pity the light stopped us making progress.

Not sure if because a big ground but the crowd seemed very sparse. Although dont blame anyone for stopping home today in the warmth.

Hoping for a better day weather wise tomorrow. In a budget hotel at moment in the city centre which is not bad for the price and very quiet. Will have a Wetherspoons breakfast a wander round the lovely park across the road from Edgbaston and then hope to see us get passed 300.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

April 24 2016, 11:08 PM 

Very good to see Leaning get a decent start - needs some runs for his confidence.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

Photos

April 24 2016, 11:33 PM 

A link to my photos, as promised on the pre-match thread:https://www.flickr.com/photos/132039271@N03/albums

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

Re: Photos

April 25 2016, 8:44 AM 

Picked the wrong day to forget my coat, hat and scarf. One little point: In the morning session if we had been playing to one day game interpretation of wides, then Wawickshire would have struggled to get 20 overs in before lunch. And we would have had another 30-40 runs on the board. No wonder scoring was so difficult-our batsmen couldn't reach dozens of deliveries. Not great to watch.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 25 2016, 9:50 AM 

Bowling 2 ft wide of the off-stump seems to becoming a trend now in CC by a lot of teams. Over after over of it, hoping that the batsmen lose their patience, chase a wide on and get themselves out.

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

April 25 2016, 9:59 AM 

Stu- Most of the deliveries yesterday were a foot wide of leg stump, never mind off-stump. All the bowlers seemed to struggle from the Pavillion end in particular. Cant remember when I last saw an opening attack and field so focused on the leg stump.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk