<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

CHAMPIONSHIP | Warwickshire vs Yorkshire at Birmingham (Day 1)

April 24 2016 at 1:49 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner
from IP address 24.138.78.204

Apr 24-27, 2016 - at Edgbaston, Birmingham

Yorkshire from: Jonny Bairstow (wkt), Gary Ballance, Jack Brooks, Andrew Gale (capt), Jack Leaning, Alex Lees, Adam Lyth, Steve Patterson, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid, Will Rhodes, Ryan Sidebottom, David Willey.

Live scorecard
Weather
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Warwickshire vs Yorkshire at Birmingham (Day 1)

April 24 2016, 11:16 AM 

Unchanged from last week.
We've won the toss & are batting.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

April 24 2016, 11:42 AM 

Reasonable start, it seems from Cricinfo viewing.
I'm on Radio 5 Sports Extra where we listeners are being treated to what Martin Emerson has been up to during the winter. Most interesting.
I believe Durham are playing Middlesex.

Alibor
(Login alibor11)

April 24 2016, 11:45 AM 

Disappointing that neither Willey or Rhodes are playing today. Glad we are batting but would have thought playing Willey (for Brooks) and Rhodes (for Leaning) would have strengthened both our bowling and batting. Next match we will have Root available so presumably we will need to make at least one change for that match.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

April 24 2016, 11:53 AM 

I hope we'll see a degree of improvement in the bowling with one game under their belts. But it's good to have quality players to come in as and when required.
Kent player has done a Michael Vaughan apparently - out handled ball for a duck

Rey
(Login Rey2)

April 24 2016, 12:05 PM 

I didn't see any great need for changes after one match. Rhodes was unlucky to miss out in the first game, but having picked Leaning it's to better stick with him, at least until Root comes in for the next game.

Rhodes extra bowling makes a negligible difference - so suggesting Willey for Brooks could easily make the bowling worse. Kevin Howells interviewed David Willey, who said he hadn't bowled with a red ball for ten months. You can't expect him to come straight in with no practice and do better than Brooks, who is proven class in this division. Hopefully Willey will get some overs in the seconds, before he's ready to come in.

Alibor
(Login alibor11)

April 24 2016, 12:20 PM 

Sorry Rey but do not agree. Willey bowled superbly in India and is fine batsman. However, with both openers now gone we will see how strong our batting is today and after we lose Johnny Bairstow for the test matches.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

April 24 2016, 12:31 PM 

Maybe not such a good start now with Gale gone too

Looks like the usual big centuries from lower order then

Rey
(Login Rey2)

April 24 2016, 12:33 PM 

Willey did well in T20 I agree, but still doesn't mean he'll do well in Championship cricket.

The radio commentators were not complimentary about the Warks bowlers in the first hour, but they've improved now to take three wickets. It's down to Bairstow. Again.

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

April 24 2016, 12:33 PM 

I just wonder how long gale has despite his brilliant captaincy

he had never been the most technically correct batsman and getting older his reactions may not compensate

mind you in his not the only weak link in our batting which has been suspect since the season before last

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

April 24 2016, 12:38 PM 

Warwickshire have not bowled very well, but Lees blown away by a full one, Lyth having played well skied a ball too full to pull and Gale played round a full one.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 24 2016, 12:47 PM 

I just wonder how long gale has despite his brilliant captaincy

he had never been the most technically correct batsman and getting older his reactions may not compensate

mind you in his not the only weak link in our batting which has been suspect since the season before last

I guess he will continue as long as his batting is up to scratch - i.e. like last season where he scored 1000 runs in the Championship!

As for our batting having been suspect for two seasons, wow - just think what we could have achieved!

Alibor
(Login alibor11)

April 24 2016, 12:52 PM 

Our top order looks decidedly dodgy. Agree about Gale's suspect batting and I do not rate his captaincy highly - too predictable with bowling choices, field placement and general decision making. I am not very optimistic about our chances in this year's County Championship without a regular class overseas batsman (Williamson only available for short period) and likely to be without 3/4 test/international call ups through the Summer. Of course, I hope to be proved wrong. Come on Johnny please again happy.gif

This message has been edited by alibor11 from IP address 109.146.196.115 on Apr 24, 2016 12:53 PM

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

April 24 2016, 1:18 PM 

I've been critical of Gale in the past for his apparent captaincy by numbers or off the back of a fag packet but in the past two seasons he's been excellent.
His field placings can be imaginative & he also uses his bowlers wisely.
The last game was a prime example of this.
It certainly wasn't his fault that the bowlers couldn't provide the necessary wickets.
It's easy to forget his success with the bat also & I think his fielding's improved as well.
So let's not write him off too soon.
Lees is already under enough pressure due to his current lack of runs, let's not burden him with the captaincy just yet.
Anyone know why they appear to have come off for lunch after 4 balls of Rankin's over, is it raining?

This message has been edited by Old_Feller2 from IP address 87.114.117.115 on Apr 24, 2016 1:19 PM

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

April 24 2016, 1:26 PM 

I think everyone acknowledged the coaches included our batting was vulnerable last year - bairstow and bresnan got us out of the mire generally

looks like gale was late on his dismissal - the reactions are going

I cannot see him scoring many this season against quality first division attacks - hope I am wrong

we need to bed in a future captain

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 24 2016, 1:26 PM 

Yes, they went off for rain, so they take lunch as it was within about 5 minutes of the scheduled lunch time anyway.

Rey
(Login Rey2)

April 24 2016, 1:35 PM 

Gale's only 32, no need to pension him off quite yet.

Without looking at the stats, I don't think April is his month. A combination of early season conditions and needing time in the middle. If Leaning scores runs in this match and Gale doesn't in the second innings, I wouldn't be averse to dropping him for Root in the next game.

And Alibor remains incredibly wrong about his captaincy. He is the leader of this team on the field and in the dressing room, and deserves a lot of the credit for Yorkshire's success. As much as Dizzy does, for comparison.

This message has been edited by Rey2 from IP address 79.69.144.233 on Apr 24, 2016 1:37 PM

EastCoastType
(Login EastCoastType)

April 24 2016, 1:48 PM 

I don't really understand what the argument is here. The title was won last year despite inconsistent top order batting. Those who pulled things out of the fire last year will not be available much this year, especially JB. This leaves vulnerable. If certain of the top order keep failing Dizzy will have to give others a go, with Rhodes first in line. I can't see how this is controversial. We have all enjoyed the last few years, but that is gone now and we need to make honest appraisals of the players.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 24 2016, 1:58 PM 

Quite right, ECT. The team now have an opportunity to prove us "worriers" wrong, myself included.

The main man out!!. He has provided about 50% of our runs recently, it now needs someone else to contribute. Who??

This message has been edited by StuartRA from IP address 79.69.134.167 on Apr 24, 2016 2:01 PM

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

April 24 2016, 2:05 PM 

Don't panic yet - I still fancy a century from someone today..

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk