<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Playing football to warm up cricketers!

April 25 2016 at 12:09 PM
Alibor  (Login alibor11)
from IP address 109.146.196.115

What are the views of Forum members on this practice? When I coached youngsters, footballs were banned from our cricket pitch but an increasing number of counties and even some national teams (excluding Australia and West Indies) play football as a means of warming up before play starts. There have been numerous players who have injured themselves doing this and recently Fidel Edwards sustained a broken leg. IMHO, it just is "not cricket" and players should be warming up practising relevant skills rather than kicking a football around!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login devon_outcast)

Re: Playing football to warm up cricketers!

April 25 2016, 1:19 PM 

I don't really have a problem with it. the best teams a re happy and relaxed. It may be my perceptions again but it seems as if more injuries are caused by treading on discarded balls and kit whilst playing football/rugby/running than having your legs from behind by a 6ft all rounder.

A couple of weeks ago my lad was warming up for his first district match of the summer. There had been the usual cricket drills but a football ended up on the outfield and the kids from both teams started messing about. No crunching tackles or even goals to be honest. But myself and a dad about 30 yards along noticed a couple of cricket balls had been left out. As its usually my daft lad who gets the random injury I wandered out, picked up the ball I could see and another parent did the same.

It's far more likely that we saved the club £5 on a new ball rather than the NHS on a twisted child. Can't the teams just clear up the area? I bet there are some player's mums in the ground:-)

It seems strange that many members of the forum scoff at being made to wear helmets but the mood is against football or anything other that launching leather clad wooden balls at each other as a warm up.

Ian

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 25 2016, 9:36 PM 

Whenever county coaches are asked about the football thing they always say the players would go mad if all they had to do were the usual drills. I personally think football is asking for trouble and touch rugby would be preferable.

Alibor
(Login alibor11)

April 26 2016, 11:41 AM 

The key to warm ups is to make them interesting but not risky. Freddy Trueman warmed up with a pint and a couple of deliveries and was rarely injured, despite bowling flat out for many overs and fielding all day!

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

April 26 2016, 11:47 AM 

I doubt it. Fred didn't drink that much, particularly pints. He just played up to that image a lot.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk