<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Joe Root admits he might not be able to get back into Yorkshire team

April 26 2016 at 2:44 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner
from IP address 24.138.78.204

"Joe Root is set to feature in his first four-day game for Yorkshire in two years this weekend, yet the world's second-ranked Test batsman admits he is unsure if the back-to-back county champions have room to accommodate him." - Daily Mail

Read More

""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: Joe Root admits he might not be able to get back into Yorkshire team

April 26 2016, 7:31 AM 

Tell Joe not to worry, he'll get in alright.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

April 26 2016, 8:25 AM 

I wouldn't be so sure about that Geoff, I imagine we'll go with the on form Patto and Plunkett in the number three and four slots.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

April 26 2016, 9:00 AM 

He will get in for his bowling . We need an off spinner to keep things tight at one end . Then Patto can concentrate on his batting .

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

April 26 2016, 10:28 AM 

He isn't suggesting that he isn't good enough. The key words are 'is it worth unsettling things just for a couple of games.' He's right. There's no-one obvious to leave out and Rhodes is already waiting his turn. Unless one of the two captains gives way, I suppose it will be Jack Leaning, who batted well enough this time to have recovered his right to be selected. Not easy, and typical of Joe that he can see the problem from the team's point of view.

Flash
(Login Lord_Flash)

April 26 2016, 11:04 AM 

I think Team England will be keen for Joe to garner some more captaincy experience.

In which case, Gale will be the man to sit out. If Gale is on the field, he'll want to captain (subconsciously or otherwise).

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Joe Root admits he may not be able to get back into Yorkshire team

April 26 2016, 11:18 AM 

Traditionally, where a selection dilemma has arisen, Yorkshire have always gone for a capped player over an uncapped one. This suggests Jack Leaning would have to stand down.

Flash
(Login Lord_Flash)

Re: Joe Root admits he may not be able to get back into Yorkshire team

April 26 2016, 11:45 AM 

Traditionally, you had to be born in Yorkshire to play for Yorkshire.

This suggests that tradition has gone 'out the winda'. wink.gif

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 26 2016, 6:05 PM 

You have to think that the non capped player would be the one to step aside but the England captaincy thing clouds things a little.

Not sure that England still look at Joe as captain material, but if they did put in a request for Yorkshire to give him a go then Gale batting at Joe's preferred No4 slot would seem the ideal person to drop out.

I hope Leaning does enough this season to pick up his cap at the first, or if not the second Scarborough game.

Lewis
(Login Lewis116)

April 26 2016, 11:07 PM 

Get him in there.

Our team has been nothing but unsettled over recent years...Call ups for England...injuries...Gillespie and England...You overcome it.

Our batting is fragile at the moment. Stick him at 3, moving Balance to 4. Either Leaning or Game test for a game or two then return when he goes back to England.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 27 2016, 7:43 AM 

I think it is inconceivable that the ECB would ask Yorkshire - a championship winning side - to change captains just to give Root some experience. They will expect Root to get a game but that is a different issue. For me Lees should have a blow. Gives us a headache at the top of the order but that can't be helped. He is the one player in the top six without a score.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

April 27 2016, 7:11 PM 

I'm pretty certain Root is in England's plans to lead in the future. They made him vice captain only recently.

I think he could ease out Lees, Gale or Leaning at the moment. But suspect it's leaning to Leaning

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk