<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Our Bowling....

April 27 2016 at 1:15 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

....so far, has been un-impressive, putting it mildly.

Yes - we have had appalling weather and loads of time lost for rain.

Yes - we have played on two "roads" so far this season.

Yes - we have Tim and Fisher injured, and now Siddy.

But even so, we are now averaging 51 runs per wicket in the two matches played. Worrying, especially bearing in mind absences coming up with England call ups for Rashid, Plubkett & Willey.

It`s not "rocket science", but we are not going to win many matches, if any, with a strike rate of 50+.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 27, 2016 1:55 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Alibor
(Login alibor11)

Re: Our Bowling....

April 27 2016, 2:10 PM 

For Notts match I would like to see Willey and Fisher opening bowling (wicket takers) if Siddy is unfit and would also rest Brooks. Root must come in probably for Gale and there is case also for including Rhodes - but it will not happen as we are very conservative with team selection (until after we start losing games!)

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 27 2016, 2:19 PM 

Alibor- our "conservative" team selection has led to us winning two titles surely. The fact that Gillespie is not a "knee-jerk" coach has been a positive to my mind. I don't think dropping players after one or two games is the right way to go.

The Gillesipe approach - rotation - is in my view a much better way of looking at it. You pick horses for courses and only drop people if they are clearly out of form.

There were clarion calls for Leaning to be dropped after one game. He scored (by all accounts) a very accomplished 50 in this game.

Alibor
(Login alibor11)

April 27 2016, 2:31 PM 

Yes Martin, I agree with you in principle about wholesale changes but IMHO Willey, Fisher and Rhodes would be better than Brooks, Plunkett and, dare I say it, Gale especially early season. I like Leaning but at number 3 rather than number 6. He used to bowl at York but rarely gets chance nowadays - surely better than Ballance!

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

April 27 2016, 2:51 PM 

Alibor- I'm surprised how forcefully you argue for the inclusion of Willey, Fisher and Rhodes (none of whom have any proven record of success in red ball cricket) at the expense of Brooks (our leading wicket taker for past two seasons I think), Plunkett(England international and probably quickest in the country)and Gale (captain and scorer of over 1,000 runs last year). Just what credentials do the three proposed players have - other than bags of potential. Very few successful teams make multiple changes solely on the basis of potential. Only desperate teams, and we are certainly not that.

Alibor
(Login alibor11)

April 27 2016, 3:03 PM 

OK Nick, let us wait and see what happens in the next 2 CC matches. Willey opened the batting for Northants, Rhodes is obviously in excellent form and Fisher is definitely player for future - unless he leaves us. Gale rarely scores many runs early in season but tends to get most of his big scores when there is less movement.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

April 27 2016, 3:08 PM 

Our bowling had long stretches of being very unimpressive last season, punctuated by short bursts of quick collapses. The writing has been on the wall for a while.

PaulYorks
(Login paulyorks)

April 27 2016, 3:16 PM 

>> OK Nick, let us wait and see what happens in the next 2 CC matches. Willey opened the batting for Northants...

Not in CC matches he didn't. He generally batted no.8.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

April 27 2016, 3:36 PM 

"Our bowling had long stretches of being very unimpressive last season, punctuated by short bursts of quick collapses. The writing has been on the wall for a while."

But we won the championship at a canter. Doesn't say much for the rest of division 1!

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 27 2016, 4:05 PM 

I have seen nothing 'unimpressive' about our bowling so far this season.

Brooks was a bit below par against Hampshire, but was most impressive at Edgbaston on days 2 and 3. Sidebottom was steady in both games, but is now injured. Patterson has so far bowled slightly fuller than in the past. No problem, but he has gone for runs (wow 3 per over!) in striving for wickets. Plunkett has been hugely impressive, fast and accurate, in both games. Rashid also, highly accurate, loop, good pace.

All the bowlers have fought against flat pitches and cold beyond all belief at Edgbaston. I have to say that Gale and our fielders touched the heights in awful conditions, with great stops by the captain and by Jack Leaning especially. They can't have been enjoying it, but you couldn't tell that from the body language.

Willey will presumably come in for Sidebottom. Fisher was injured at Liverpool and will be out for 6 weeks or more, just at the time when he is studying for his exams.

Alibor
(Login alibor11)

April 27 2016, 4:18 PM 

Thanks for the first hand update - did not know about Fisher's injury although it could help his studies happy.gif Bring on some better cricketing weather!

This message has been edited by alibor11 on Apr 27, 2016 4:20 PM

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

April 27 2016, 4:42 PM 

Dave's comments are more than welcome and reassuring.From the outside looking in it is easy to assume that the wheels are coming off the bowling attack and our strength and penetration of the past few seasons has declined.

Hopefully we will get some warmer weather and pitches that offer more of a contest but , regardless of the above, I think we are going to find the 3rd of 3 much harder to achieve than the previous two.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 27 2016, 4:42 PM 

Thanks Dave for your opinion of our bowling.

The figures seem to tell a misleading story in our case, as although our figures look unimpressive, you state that they are not. I was at the first game but not the second, so take comfort that our bowling is not as bad as it appears.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

April 27 2016, 4:59 PM 

There will be two changes at Trent Bridge due to Siddy's injury and Root's availability. Willey will surely play and uncapped Leaning will probably step down.

(Login KennyShovel)

April 27 2016, 5:02 PM 

During our 1983 wooden spoon winning championship campaign the Yorkshire Post sports-desk mailbag must have received some A-mazing letters.

Go well this season DaveM - regards, DaveH.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

April 27 2016, 7:35 PM 

i'd back up Dave's comments about the bowling at Edgbaston.
Like him, I endured days of mithering cold on the Dollery Suite balcony - day two and day three.
Brooks is never utterly consistent but his opening spell was excellent and he bowled decently thereafter. Patterson bowled without giving much away. As Dave said, he had a tendency to bowl rather full. Plunkett bowled with pace and heart; perhaps he overdid the short ball a bit. Rashid was splendid.
After an uncertain start,Chopra batted with growing fluency. Bell looked terrific but was defeated by a superb delivery. Trott played with surprising panache. Warwickshire look a very formidable batting outfit but they were fully stretched by our depleted attack in the most abominable conditions. The passage of play immediately after lunch yesterday was enthralling. High class batting combatting splendid bowling.
Nothing, I think, to worry about too much with regards to the bowling. The top order batting seems to be struggling somewhat and this will need addressing.
Rashid batted very prettily. Patterson's knock wasn't a thing of beauty but it underscored my personal view that our bowling was somewhat more demanding than that of the opposition on a surface that offered only a little.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

April 27 2016, 7:39 PM 

But they still outscored & outbowled us in terms of bonus points.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

April 28 2016, 10:18 AM 

George Dobell on Cricinfo says:

It would also be premature to suggest there is too much wrong with Yorkshire. They have the likes of Kane Williamson, Joe Root and David Willey (who will make his Yorkshire debut at Trent Bridge on Sunday) to come into their side and have shown, over the last two years, they have enviable depth in their production line.

But their top-order does look just a little fragile and their seam attack just a little plain.

With Sidebottom - who Andrew Gale warned would probably miss the next two Championship matches after injuring his ankle - at an age where every season is a bonus and England calls likely to cut deep, it does appear that they face a tough fight to win a third successive Championship title.

Steven Patterson's career-best with the bat may have saved them from a tricky situation here while Jonny Bairstow, who has papered over some cracks for a while, will not be available for much of this campaign.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk