<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Draw watch

August 17 2016, 1:26 PM 

Dave --- I will use your figures from now, as they are more likely to be right.

This week only 2 draws from 8 matches.

Season Totals.

Division One -- 53 matches, 29 draws.

Division Two -- 53 matches, 32 draws.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 26 2016, 5:55 PM 

This week

Division One -- 4 matches, 2 draws.

Division Two -- 4 matches, 0 draws.

Seasons Totals

Division One -- 57 matches, 31 draws.

Division Two -- 57 matches, 32 draws.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 27, 2016 9:25 AM

(Login WhiteroseDave)

August 26 2016, 7:17 PM 

Looking at div 1 only, with 17 games still to play we're now worse than 7 of the last 10 years already in terms of drawn games. It's now unlikely we'll end up worse than at any point in the last 10 years (2009 had 43 draws) but if 7 of the last 17 are draws it will come 2nd.
I know there's been a bit of weather interruption at times but there's also been a lot of high scoring draws, instinct (and no facts or research at all) tells me that headingley has been OK as has Taunton surprisingly but that might not be right! Either way I'd be surprised if the new toss rule stayed as it was next year, I don't think I'd have a problem with them trying out awarding the away team free choice of bat/bowl if there was a determination to carry on in some way. We'll see.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 26 2016, 7:34 PM 

Agree Dave, To many draws, IMO. We should either ditch the experiment completely, or just let the "away" team always to have the choice of batting or bowling.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 3 2016, 5:41 PM 

This week

Division One -- 4 matches, 4 draws (mainly due to he weather).

Division Two -- 4 matches, 1 draw. (again due to the weather)

Seasons Totals

Division One -- 61 matches, 35 draws.

Division Two -- 61 matches, 33 draws.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

September 3 2016, 6:16 PM 

I thought I'd go back a bit further with this as we're getting close to the end of the season. Going back to the split to 2 divisions in 2000 we're now up to the 5th worst number of draws in div 1 with 11 games to go. If there are 3 more draws in the remaining games (likely) we'll be the 2nd worst since the split. 8 more in the remaining games (unlikely) and it will be the worst.
In fairness, this week would probably have seen 3 results out of 4 with no interruption.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 4 2016, 12:00 AM 

That's the problem, it is so difficult to isolate the draws caused by weather from those caused by flat pitches.

My feeling is that the pitches were overly flat at the start of the season as the groundsmen got used to the new rule and erred on the side of caution, but as the season has gone on this has become less and less of an issue.

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

Bonus Points

September 5 2016, 1:47 PM 

To take out the weather, it may be worth looking at the bonus points awarded over the last few years - after all, if the county scene has become a batting paradise, we'd expect relatively high batting points, and relatively low bowling points.

Average batting points per team per game for the last few years [Div 1 (Div 2)]

2012: 1.722 (1.924)
2013: 2.403 (2.521)
2014: 2.535 (2.229)
2015: 2.313 (2.500)
2016: 2.680 (2.730)

In Division 1, 2016 is higher than previous years, but not by so much that it's obvious we've been playing the whole seasons on roads (somebody else can work out the significance or not of the numbers). The contrast is more marked in Division 2.

Average bowling points per team per game:

2012: 2.597 (2.361)
2013: 2.479 (2.396)
2014: 2.514 (2.611)
2015: 2.701 (2.618)
2016: 2.508 (2.303)

This is a bit more blurred in Division 1, though - suggesting the effect hasn't been that great. Again, though, Division 2 shows a greater drop this year.

I've separated the divisions because my feeling is that it was partly designed to negate the dibbly-dobbly Division 2 bowlers (which rankles as my all-rounder in fantasy cricket is Jesse Ryder) - and it certainly looks to have had more effect in the lower league.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Bonus Points

September 10 2016, 10:28 AM 

This week

Division One --- 4 matches, 1 draw.

Division Two --- 3 matches, 0 draws.

Totals to date ( 2 weeks to go)

Division One --- 65 matches, 36 draws.

Division Two --- 64 matches, 33 draws.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 16 2016, 11:02 AM 

This week

Division One --- 3 matches, 1 draw.

Division Two --- 4 matches, 1 draw.

Totals to date ( 1 week to go)

Division One --- 68 matches, 37 draws.

Division Two --- 68 matches, 34 draws.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 24 2016, 9:52 AM 

Final Seasons figures.

This week

Division One --- 4 matches, 0 draws.

Division two --- 4 matches, 2 draws.

Final Totals

Division One --- 72 matches, 37 draws. (51%)

Division Two --- 72 matches, 36 draws. (50%)

Over to you Dave, or anyone, to see how that compares to other seasons before the "no toss" rule. Seems on the high side to me.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 24, 2016 5:17 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 24 2016, 12:11 PM 

Whether it's higher or not is irrelevant to me. It led to the most exciting finish in years for the title with three teams in with a shout in the last hour still.

It could have been higher if we had settled for the draw yesterday when six down. That draw would have been a better game than most victories over the season for tension and excitement. The toss rule might have led to some counties preparing different tracks but I think weather led to high draws early season more than preparation of pitches

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

Uncontested coin toss

September 24 2016, 5:44 PM 

Just as pertinent may be to ask if the rule change achieved its objective of more friendly wickets for slow bowlers. I have not attempted any analysis or comparison but a look at the division 1 bowling averages shows that Rayner (Middx), Leach (Som) and Patel (Warwicks) were among a small group taking 50 wickets or more. Last year Rayner wrote an article complaining about his lack of opportunities which he put down to the prevalence of pitches friendly to quick bowlers. So maybe it has worked.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

Re: Uncontested coin toss

September 27 2016, 6:03 PM 

So 37 out of 72 in the end in div 1. Not a new record, not even 2nd. 43 draws in 2009 still stands. It is the highest since then though and is much higher than the average in the last 5 years (just over 26). My impression is that the first half of the season was blighted by high scoring draws while the 2nd half was much more business as usual, interesting that the one place with traditionally dull high scoring draws (Taunton) was the place with the most significant changes made, how many of leach' wickets came at home?
In conclusion, results are inconclusive. Will they continue the experiment? Probably, although I'd much prefer an "away team wins the toss" rule to try to create wickets as balanced as possible with the hope that as many as possible give the away captain a hard decision.

This message has been edited by WhiteroseDave on Sep 28, 2016 9:09 AM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Uncontested coin toss

September 27 2016, 6:13 PM 

I also would prefer "the away team captain" has the choice (no toss at all). It would result in much fairer wickets for both teams.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk