<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

DrawWatch

April 27 2016 at 11:43 PM
Guest  (Login WhiteroseDave)

Plenty of thought given to the number of draws that there may be this season so I thought I'd have a look back over the last few. I've not got any context to these figures particularly with regard what sort of summers we had with the weather but still found it interesting so bear with me!
Over the last 10 seasons (72 games a season) looking at div 1 only the mean number of draws has been 30.1 or 42% of all games. The last 5 years have seen less (26.4 per season) than the previous 5 (33.8).
The "best" seasons for results have been 2011 with 18 draws and 2015 with 21. The "worst" being 2009 with 43 and 2008 with 38. Does anyone remember if they were particularly wet summers, or maybe they were very hot with ideal batting conditions??

Is there anything else other than the weather that may have had a big influence on the numbers of draws in the last 10 years? Maybe scheduling with some seasons having more games than others when it's likely to move about? Perhaps as the players seem to say, quick changes from T20 to championship and back again may be an influence?

Anyway for what it's worth we're at 7 out of 9 so far.

To be continued....

This message has been edited by WhiteroseDave on Apr 28, 2016 7:59 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: DrawWatch

April 28 2016, 9:11 AM 

Thanks Dave for the stats. Must have taken you a while to compile the figures.

I firmly believe the "no toss" rule will see an increase in "roads" being produced by groundsmen and a much higher percentage of draws. We shall see, one way or the other, at the end of the season.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 28, 2016 9:12 AM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

April 28 2016, 10:05 AM 

Well, it's the stated aim of the ECB to force Counties into producing pitches that start dry and grassless, spin later. Trouble is...if it rains there's no 'later'.

Oddly, when they introduced the early starts - second week in April - we all said most of the games would be rained off. What actually happened was that we got excellent weather, even hot weather. This season, we've got what we always expected, though it must be remembered that the Warwickshire game was in the old late-April start-of-season slot.

There used to be a natural rhythm to the season. Green April/May seamers' pitches. Good batting pitches in high summer, but (being uncovered) always likely to change overnight into something utterly spiteful. Then some worn tracks in late August/September.

We can't go back to uncovered. Even I wouldn't tolerate having paid good money to sit and watch rain falling on the pitch, when all the rest of the square was covered. But we have lost variety, somewhat compensated by now having three forms of the game.

Expect more draws, but we - as potential Champions - can't afford to produce 'roads' at Headingley. We know we're going to get them everywhere else.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

April 28 2016, 5:00 PM 

10 matches so far in Division Two with 7 draws, so that is (in both Divisions) 14 draws from 19 matches. Much to high a percentage.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Apr 28, 2016 5:03 PM

marsker
(Login marskeman)

April 28 2016, 10:32 PM 

a lot of time lost to weather in all games.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

April 28 2016, 10:40 PM 

73% draws. We're doomed!

(Login EdLondon)

April 29 2016, 11:25 AM 

Far too early to say. Many of these draws lost a lot of overs.

I'm not sure even after a whole season we'll be able to say definitively, because there are so many factors at play. Wet weather takes time out of games but can also create 'result' pitches.

Wasn't 2011 that weird year where summer happened in March and April, then it seemed to rain every weekend after that? Totally ruined my club season - yet very few CC draws.

Flash
(Login Lord_Flash)

April 29 2016, 11:59 AM 

If the pitches are becoming more like roads...I think it's important that bowlers start to improve on the 'dying art' of bowling more accurately and patiently. There's also the issue of captains and their 'cookie cutter' mentality. Few captains these days seem to be adventurous/knowledgeable enough to set good funky fields/plans.

I've said for a while now that bowlers are not of the quality of yesteryear...I could trot out some stats (admittedly from Test match cricket) which shows that quality bowling is in decline. Improving bowling techniques/skills isn't going to happen quickly though...it could take years for bowlers to acquire the necessary skills.

Of course this begs the question; Can the longer form of Cricket survive numerous seasons of batsmen dominating not just poorer bowlers but also better batting pitches to assist them?

Pretty much all short form Cricket watchers (die-hard or otherwise) seem quite happy for T20/ODI bowlers to be 'fodder'. "Oooh 230 plays 231...what an exciting game" they say, as opposed to "140 plays 139...well that was hard work".

Yet when it comes to the longer form, 500 vs 500 is just a high scoring bore draw. "The bowlers didn't have a chance on that road, where's the balance!" they say.

Would a better quality of bowling have a negative impact on the shorter form of the game? Quite possibly IMHO.

Personally though, I love watching 'bowlers on top' (Not the 70's X-rated version either). I want all batsmen regardless of format to have to work hard for their runs. There just doesn't seem to be many bowlers around the world capable of putting batsmen under extreme pressure these days...and if they do their captain starts moving attacking fielders at the first sign of a good shot.

Joe
(Login Backward_Point)

May 2 2016, 6:36 PM 

Agreed, nothing worse than run fest bore draws. I don't know why the ECB is so concerned with shortened result CCC games - aren't they saying they want LESS cricket anyway?

If road pitches start to become common maybe the trick will be to rely more on swing bowlers who can take the pitch out of the equation?

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

May 3 2016, 1:31 PM 

Looking like there could be another few draws this week. If ours is one of them then fair enough it'll be down to the weather, but you can't say the same of the others with first innings scores of 336, 475 and 493/9d as well as good starts to the second innings for each team.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

May 4 2016, 6:37 PM 

Well there's another 4 bore draws in division 1(!)
In all seriousness the other 3 games had a lot of runs and were a fair distance away from a result.
The running total now stands at 11 draws from 13 games (84.6%)

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 4 2016, 7:04 PM 

21 draws from 27 matches at the moment (from both Divisions).

A lot of them have been rain affected though, so not a true picture.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

May 4 2016, 7:57 PM 

You're right. A lot have been rain affected but just looking at the number of 400+ scores and declarations is a concern in itself.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Draw watch

May 4 2016, 8:53 PM 

I am reminded of Gilbert and Sullivan's opera "Iolanthe". Mountararat, harking back to a golden age, sings,

'And noble statesmen do not itch
To interfere with matters which
They do not understand'.

For 'noble statesmen' substitute 'ECB'

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

Re: Draw watch

May 5 2016, 8:43 AM 

Fine sentiment..
But what was "OO wak a doo wak a day " all about?

(Login WhiteroseDave)

May 11 2016, 6:58 PM 

DrawWatch update: the total now stands at 13 out of 17 (76%) with 2 results in this week's div 1. Still hard to tell what the season will bring with more rain around stopping anything happening in the other 2 games.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 16 2016, 5:19 PM 

26 draws from 35 matches in both divisions so far.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 18 2016, 11:26 AM 

Lancashire set 325 to win v Durham.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

May 18 2016, 11:35 AM 

Durham may regret that, were they expecting rain? Lancs going at 7.5 an over so far.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 18 2016, 2:41 PM 

Lancashire 6 down now. Weather radar suggests there may be interruptions at CLS. I guess at this stage of the season, best result for us would be a draw (or a Durham win?)

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk