<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

(Login Lord_Flash)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Nottinghamshire vs Yorkshire at Nottingam (Day 4)

May 4 2016, 12:42 PM 

Here's an occasion where captains (Gale in this case) can miss a trick.

Jake Ball cannot play Adil Rashid's leg spin (we know this from his effort in the first innings). However because the 'New Ball' is still new, Gale will persist with seam bowlers.

Throw the ball to Rashid, get Ball out and then, if necessary, punch back into the seamers.

...and 'interestingly'...as I write this....

er..good thinking Gale. wink.gif

EDIT: We do however need Ball on strike to Rashid.

This message has been edited by Lord_Flash on May 4, 2016 12:45 PM

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 4 2016, 12:44 PM 

Agreed Old Feller. To say our championship hopes have gone when to date there have only been TWO positive results in the Championship (and only the Somerset/Lancs game anywhere near close to producing a result apart from our games), is completely over the top. As you rightly say, we started 2014 slowly but still won. Yes we need to start improving but as long as we dont lose today and Lancashire fail to win v Somerset, the table remains tight and all to play for.

I am perfectly prepared to criticise Gale when he gets it wrong -and it sounds like tactics today haven't been sensible. What is beyond doubt is that for a team to win two championships in a row (particularly when the doom merchants were suggesting last year that we didnt have a hope in hell because of our depleted squad), the captain must be doing more right than wrong.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

May 4 2016, 12:45 PM 

Can't believe the negativity here this morning, one would think notts had 500 on the board.

Sure they have Broad, but we have top batsmen and bat very deep.

its a perfect day 3 pitch, we got 290 on a much more difficult pitch with dodgy decisions to boot.

No reason on earth why we cannot score 300 plus in our second innings.

Standard in the CC seems higher this year, we were spoiled last year by totally dominating our games, maybe this year that won't happen and we have to produce wins from this sort of situation instead.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

May 4 2016, 12:46 PM 

The Notts scoring rate seems to suggest they are looking to declare soon .

Flash
(Login Lord_Flash)

May 4 2016, 12:47 PM 

But Peter it's a day 4 pitch, and we won't have enough time to score 300+.

We either draw or collapse from here.

Early days in the CC yet. No cause for panic on that front.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 4 2016, 12:55 PM 

70 overs remaining 260 ahead. You would imagine they would want to set a target of at least 5 an over - so we may well see them returning after lunch. It may be a 4 day pitch but weather clearly more conducive to batting than it has been all match. And our batting on paper at least is very strong.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

May 4 2016, 1:07 PM 

Plus we need to add into the equation that Read is the most risk averse, least adventurous captain on the circuit & you'd have to think that Notts will bat on till they're all out, especially since Read is also approaching another ton.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 4 2016, 1:12 PM 

No issue with people having a moan here. We had them in all kinds of trouble and they've scored nearly 150 runs in the session! Definitely a big opportunity missed if we don't win.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 4 2016, 1:24 PM 

148-3 this morning off 30 overs. In anyones book that is poor, so we have every right to moan about our performance. I hope the players are equally ****** off about how they have played.

As for knocking the runs off - they are already 270 in front with 66 overs left. 20 mins more this afternoon plus 2 overs deducted for the innings break and we are looking at about 300 off about 55 overs (not to short of 6 an over). They would have to bowl as badly as we did this morning for us to score at that rate.

I know we bat deep and have several class players, but they also have 4 International seamers and Broad is not going to go wicket less again.

If it`s not a draw, 20% chance of us winning, and 80% chance of Notts winning from were we are at the moment. Just hope we can scramble a draw.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 4, 2016 1:27 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 4 2016, 1:35 PM 

I think i'd favour us over Notts in a 55-60 over chase. With the draw the obvious favourite.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

May 4 2016, 1:45 PM 

But Peter it's a day 4 pitch, and we won't have enough time to score 300+.

with respect, no its not. we have lost 80 overs in this match which really makes this a day 3 pitch

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

May 4 2016, 1:50 PM 

Stu, how many times have we been in the same position notts are in, looking at setting a run chase?

only last week we could have set hants a target, but the conensus of opinion is that a declaration usually favours the side batting last.

Now you say we only have a 20% chance of winning with 80% chance of losing.

We were spoilt last season, how many times did we need to score more than 100 in the second innings to win a match?

If Read and Braod, and my God, even Ball can score freely so can our joe and company.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

May 4 2016, 2:20 PM 

300. 6 an over. Will we even try?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 4 2016, 2:21 PM 

"Plus we need to add into the equation that Read is the most risk averse, least adventurous captain on the circuit & you'd have to think that Notts will bat on till they're all out, especially since Read is also approaching another ton."

Read is batting on past his 100! Edit - he is out. So - 6 an over it is (or surviving just over 50 overs). I would suggest that the former will be a stretch even for our talented batting line up - effectively need to get a good 50 over score but without fielding restrictions.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

May 4 2016, 2:23 PM 

320 from 53 overs. Place you're bets.

I reckon we'll shake hands at about 170/4

Flash
(Login Lord_Flash)

May 4 2016, 2:24 PM 

I can see 50-6 at tea coming.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 4 2016, 2:25 PM 

320 off 53 is the target. Over 6 an over.

It is a flat wicket now (really a third day pitch with the time lost), but even so with Broad and Ball in their side, I will still stick to my original prediction of 20% chance of us winning, and an 80% chance of Notts winning, but it will probably end as a draw.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

broad

May 4 2016, 2:29 PM 

you can bet one thing that broad bowls more overs in the second than he did in the first, as soon as anybody started to knock im around he was taken off ,i can only see one result a draw .plunket very poor rashid nearly as bad .

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: broad

May 4 2016, 2:33 PM 

Lyth has had another shocker!! Sawn off twice by shocking upiring.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 4, 2016 2:34 PM

Alibor
(Login alibor11)

Re: broad

May 4 2016, 2:41 PM 

The standard of CC umpiring is quite appalling - where was there any evidence that Lyth's bat touched the ball?

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk