<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: Dare we believe?

May 4 2016, 6:05 PM 

Noble effort, but time to call it a day I suspect.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 4 2016, 6:15 PM 

It`s time for blocking, call the chase off.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 4 2016, 6:22 PM 

Now the jitters..

(Login seenemgiven)

May 4 2016, 6:31 PM 

What time do they finish or is it an overs thing?

Rey
(Login Rey2)

May 4 2016, 6:35 PM 

Two balls left, and Jack Brooks has to survive!

(Login WhiteShamrock)

May 4 2016, 6:37 PM 

Rather annoying that Negative Notts ended up with the same number of points as we did.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 4 2016, 6:39 PM 

Entertaining effort!
Disappointed we didn't win after having them 150-6.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

May 4 2016, 7:00 PM 

A high quality match, very entertaining, thouroughly enjoyed it.....well except the last 4 overs.

nip and tuck all the way through.

Only complaint was awful umpiring especially from Gough.

Reckon we needed just another 3 overs or so to have won.....yes and know we finished 9 down, but would not have had to slog quite so recklessly with just another few overs extra. Day 2 we were looking at an inspection at 5 without a provisional start at 5.30, this was delayed 15 minutes.....could have been so different with that extra 15 minutes.

An honourable draw in a round of draws.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 4 2016, 7:00 PM 

What a match, we almost lost!! That last ball was almost lbw or caught at short leg. A great advert for County Cricket.

With an enormous amount of hindsight, perhaps we should not have gone for it, and just settled for the draw at 5pm. I am a nervous wreck!!

This message has been edited by StuartRA from IP address 79.69.134.167 on May 4, 2016 7:07 PM

Peter
(Login Yfactor)

May 4 2016, 7:14 PM 

It was a brilliant last day with any result possible until we had to hang on for the draw.

Credit to both sides for magnificent entertainment- I thought we would do it with Bairstow in belligerent mood but, on reflection and considering the time lost to bad weather, a draw was the right result.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 4 2016, 8:10 PM 

Well that put us through the wringer a little bit.

Can we keep this AZ Lees please and make sure the guy whose been pretending to be him just lately doesn't come back.

Overall we were just a little bit off our best against a team who probably played a little above theirs. The less than top notch umpiring certainly didn't help. I especially feel for Adam.

No damage done, lets move on and see what Surrey are made of.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 4 2016, 8:12 PM 

I'm both impressed and delighted that we went for it, it shows the Champions' mentality is still there, despite three inconsistent performances.

(Login matthefish2002)

May 4 2016, 8:22 PM 

Saw the last ten overs when I get home from work.
Would have put me off my tea if we threw it away at the end. Thought overall a draw was fair, best County Championship game I have seen for a while.
Looking forward to the Surrey game.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 4 2016, 8:23 PM 

Inconsistent is the word. All of the batsmen and some bowlers have now made a score of 40+. In fact I make iit 8 out of the 10 making 50+. Three centurions. And all of our bowlers have bowled well in patches. Just need to bring it all together in the same game!

This message has been edited by Martinh00 from IP address 2.123.136.174 on May 4, 2016 9:27 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 4 2016, 8:28 PM 

It took me by surprise that they went for it so late.

I think Lyth being given out put the mockers on the chase to begin with because a clearly painfully out of form Ballance left us too much to do after he was out.

Not the only reason of course our bowling wasn't up to standard and they were allowed to get too many runs. That said it was a lot easier to play with the sun shining and the pitch just got better. Not sure what good this is doing for spin bowlers.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

May 4 2016, 8:56 PM 

I know he took a wicket late on but I quite enjoyed seeing Stuart Broad getting a bit of treatment. Final match figures of 1 for 108 off his 25 overs!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 4 2016, 9:25 PM 

Read is one of those annoying cricketers who seems to reserve his gritty knocks for against us.

The fact it went to the wire was due to our positivity and belief and whilst Notts were closer to winning in the end, they would have never had a look in against most teams who played out a draw as soon as they started the second innings.

Good runs for Lees, some wickets for Willey on debut, even though it looked odd to see him in an uncapped players sweater and a good bowl for Rashid.

It's falling into place and someone is going to pay when it finally clicks.

Oh look it's the brown hatters of Surrey soon...

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

May 5 2016, 12:55 AM 

That was an excellent game. I was lucky to see all four days, with today's wonderful climax, when even the Day 4 weather seemed to join in to announce that the cricket season is really here.
There's a good summary on cricinfo --http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/1008315.html -- where George Dobell pretty much admits he's run out of space to give credit to just how good a match it was -- he says his description "barely scrapes the surface of a wonderfully engaging game" and "this was a game filled to bursting with fine cricket and notable performances".
Indeed it was. There was also a fair bit of dross from time to time (notably when our bowlers lost the plot for an hour or so on first and fourth mornings) and the umpires and the rain gave us something to complain about.
Huge credit to Yorkshire for going for it today ... and I count Ballance's contribution with Lees Part I as part of it, because the platform had to be set at 3.5 to 4 an over with lots of wickets in hand before we could credibly accelerate. In the context Ballance did OK, and a bit better than OK I thought. Lees Part II changed tone at just the right time, joining in a good supporting role with the Root-Bairstow-Plunkett-Willey charge ... and dying, like them, in the cause.
Peter feels that missing 1/4 hour on Day 2 might have had a big impact. I'd agree and add that in their first innings we didn't appear ruthless/focussed enough at the end, and I think we let their tail get 15-20 more than they should. And at the end of ours, careless shots cost Rashid, Plunkett, Patterson ... who between them should have been good for 20-25 more. 40 runs less to chase would have made a helluva difference.
But cricket is full of 'what ifs', and while we can regret the 16 points, we really can't begrudge a draw that was so well fought between two well-matched teams. It was enthralling from the first ball to the nerve-racking last.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

May 5 2016, 7:17 AM 

And as Dobell says, fantastic that it was on TV. I'm not a Sky subscriber, but that can only have done the game good.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

May 5 2016, 8:15 AM 

I agree Idle Man. It was a wonderfully engaging match and an excellent advert for the County Championship.
It's very sad however that the commentators insist on viewing the competition through the refracting lens of Test cricket. I would love to hear commentary that refers to the Championship as a wonderful competition in its own right and on its own terms.

A typical exchange - this one directly after the match - was:
Commentator A 'That was a first class advert for County cricket'.
Commentator B 'Yes. Of course there were fourteen internationals playing so it ought to have been'.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk