<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

August 11, 1977: Today in Yorkshire cricket history | Boycott's 100th hundred

August 11 2016 at 10:50 PM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Quote from Wisden

All Today's Yesterdays - August 11 down the years

August 11,1977

"One of the most highly charged days in English cricket ends with Geoffrey Boycott making his 100th hundred. In a perfect piece of stage-management, he scored it on his home ground at Headingley in a Test against Australia. He was the first player to hit his 100th ton in a Test match. Boycott went on to make 191 as England won by an innings to regain the Ashes."

Geoff Boycott: 100th hundred vs. the Aussies, 1977

PS: Your moderator was there...

AuthorReply
Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

Re: August 11, 1977: Today in Yorkshire cricket history | Boycott's 100th hundred

August 12 2016, 7:01 AM 

Remember it well - watched it on my 40th birthday! Geoff has always been tops for me and a totally dedicated Yorkshireman!

Gary Watton
(Login GaryFulford)

Re: August 11, 1977: Today in Yorkshire cricket history | Boycott's 100th hundred

August 12 2016, 2:19 PM 

Greg Chappell generously bowled at Boycs as he prepared to hit the runs that would take him to his ton. Was it this test where Boycott actually batted every day, by some strange quirk?

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

August 12 2016, 2:25 PM 

Wasn't that Trent Bridge? Was it the same test he ran Derek Randall out

The obligatory quiz question re Sir Geoff's innings, which I am sure will be known by many on here. Who was at the non striker's end.?

(Login dpressed)

August 12 2016, 7:13 PM 

A batsman who Wisden said was also at the other end when John Edrich got his 100th ton. They then had to admit that the latter claim was wrong

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

Re: August 11, 1977: Today in Yorkshire cricket history | Boycott's 100th Hundred

August 12 2016, 7:30 PM 

It was Trent Bridge when GB batted on every day of the test. At Headingley he was on the field for every ball bowled.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

Re: August 11, 1977: Today in Yorkshire cricket history | Boycott's 100th Hundred

August 15 2016, 2:07 PM 

I too was there . With my mum ! Other batsman was Roope of Surrey. I always believed he was batting with Edrich . And i think i read somewhere he was bowling when Amiss reached his 100th 100 .

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

August 15 2016, 2:07 PM 

I too was there . With my mum ! Other batsman was Roope of Surrey. I always believed he was batting with Edrich . And i think i read somewhere he was bowling when Amiss reached his 100th 100 .

(Login dpressed)

August 15 2016, 7:20 PM 

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 11 2017, 1:09 PM 

Told you we did this every year....

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

August 11 2017, 2:50 PM 

A belated Happy 80th birthday to Alibor.

I was also there, with friends, sat on the concrete steps by the old pavilion because there was nowhere else remotely comfortable to accommodate all of us.
The ground was full an hour before the start and the traffic around the ground extremely heavy.
It was gloriously warm. A lot of alcohol was drunk despite the journey back to York, where I then lived.
There was a lot of hostility directed towards the broadcasters and the press where I was sitting.

At first there was great tension but gradually an air of inevitability settled on the ground despite the regular fall of wickets at the other end. When the famous on drive was struck the place erupted. It must have been ten minutes or so before play resumed. It was more than a celebration of Boycott's hundred, it was the pent up frustration of a Yorkshire crowd sickened by almost ten years of failure. At that moment Boycott represented the two fingers so many of us wanted to stick up to the establishment, many of whom took a ghoulish pleasure in Yorkshire's discomfort and recognised in Boycott someone defiantly but gloriously cussed.

I've been to countless sporting occasions since, with far larger crowds and with far more riding on the result of the game but nothing has come close to the emotional intensity of those few sunlit hours in 1977. Utterly unforgettable.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk