<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

S.O.S from Old Trafford

August 26 2016 at 7:24 PM
Howden73  (Login howden73)

Help desperately needed by Lancashire .....are you all confident of beating our relegation rivals Hampshire next week?

We are relying on Yorkshire to do us a favour and we will try (don't hold your breath) to hold up Middlesex's title charge at Old Trafford in our penultimate match.

Do any of you think Anderson should be made available to play in any of the final 3 games. He was NOT made available by England to play at The Oval this week, yet Broad was available for our relgation rivals Notts (he pulled out injured) and Cook played for Essex at Leicester.

Does not seem fair to me when titles and relegation is at stake.

Good luck at Southampton.

This message has been edited by howden73 on Aug 26, 2016 7:56 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: S.O.S from Old Trafford

August 26 2016, 7:29 PM 

Bizarre if Broad was available and not selected especially when they lost Ball.

But think Broad picked up a knock somewhere whilst signing to play in the Big Bash?

If the red rose could just avoid defeat v Middlesex it would help but not sure this is possible. But Middlesex may be missing a few with England and Ireland who have some games in a Mickey Mouse ICC event which will see Stirling and Murtagh unavailable.

Howden73
(Login howden73)

August 26 2016, 7:34 PM 

Has a moderator "spiked" my original post and left up the duplicate?

I read on Cricinfo that Broad was given the go-ahead to play against Yorkshire only to pull out with a injury niggle.

This message has been edited by howden73 on Aug 26, 2016 7:36 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 26 2016, 7:53 PM 

Yes. I deleted the duplicate. They were the same were they not? Apologies, if I have deleted the wrong one, but the system deletes all replies as well, so I deleted the one with no replies.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 27, 2016 7:47 PM

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 26 2016, 8:02 PM 

Hard to see anything but a draw down there, unless they want to contrive a result like last year. If it follows the same pattern as other matches on such roads this season we'll lose the toss, bowl first with little reward and be left fighting for a draw for the remainder of the game. A Hampshire draw wouldn't be the worst result for Lancs though

Howden73
(Login howden73)

August 26 2016, 8:16 PM 

Surrey managed to win at Southampton - but only just taking the last couple of wickets in the last half hour.

Lancs were a bit lucky to get a draw there after following on. Hampshire scored big but too slowly.

(Login Roundhegian)

August 27 2016, 2:43 PM 

Well we now have the answer that Anderson will not play again this summer as he requires "ongoing rehabilitation" following his shoulder injury. Ditto Broad with his ankle, so at least they are being consistent.

Howden73
(Login howden73)

August 27 2016, 6:32 PM 

Yes...Anderson is having "ongoing rehabilitation" on an injury which (a) does not exist or (b) is very minor (admitted by the ECB themselves before the Test series against Pakistan).

Jimmy A would have come in handy in against Middlesex at OT, but perhaps the leaders have friends in high places? My conspiracy theory. What odds Buttler - yet to play a four-day game for us this season - will be made unavailable to Lancs because he needs "ongoing rehabilitation" to his thumb?

Have Yorkshire got a spare seamer they could loan us? We have Jarvis and Smith (now injured) but the rest are not even Division Two standard.

Cannot believe we have not replaced Wagner as overseas after his call-up. Kent have signed Viljoen and Worcs have taken on Miguel Cummins while Giles and his team sleepwalk towards relegation. Laughably, Giles was talking about winning the title until the Surrey loss.

This message has been edited by howden73 on Aug 27, 2016 6:35 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 27 2016, 7:43 PM 

Howden --- Have great sympathy with you, perhaps you appreciate how we feel when our England players are never made available (4 or 5 at a time).

As for a loanee - perhaps Matthew Fisher?! Can`t see that we will need him and he is now fit.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 27 2016, 8:38 PM 

I'm sure we'll do our best for Lanky; after all, we have a stake in the result too - just a bit!

The ECB showed their contempt for the county game when they allowed Stokes to play for Durham but pulled Anderson out of the Lancashire side, then took Moores for the U19s when Lancs had both their regular keepers unavailable.

Hampshire need to win the game, so presumably they will prepare a pitch accordingly. I don't think they can hope for a big batting-point draw against Yorkshire, and then rely on winning the other games. Likewise Lancashire v Somerset. We had a pretty flat pitch at OT for the Roses match, which did the home side no favours. They need something more sporting against the powerful Somerset batting. If they go for the bore-draw and find Hampshire have won, they will look very silly.

It's a shame Wagner is not available, but at least some of the younger players have made progress this summer - Hameed, Livingstone, Lilley and Clark especially.

I was going to go to this game but made a late decision to travel down to Southampton.

Howden73
(Login howden73)

August 28 2016, 7:51 PM 

Yes...Dave Morton mentions the Lancs v Durham game at Southport when Anderson was allowed to play ONLY the first two innings of the match but Stokes all FOUR innings for Durham.

Durham squeezed home by two wickets in a close encounter which could have gone either way. Anderson's second innings replacement was the ineffectual Nathan Buck whose figures were 4-0-26-0 as Durham chased down a target of 250 with Stokes guiding them home despite Tom Smith's five-wicket spell.

At the time, Durham were serious title contenders but they have lost two matches since and have slipped into relegation trouble with us and Hampshire.

If, at the end of the season, Durham survive at Lancashire's expense (by a margin of 32 points or less) serious questions could be asked re: the Anderson/Stokes "farce".

This message has been edited by howden73 on Aug 28, 2016 7:54 PM

David in Morley
(Login DavidinMorley)

August 28 2016, 8:24 PM 

To refer to Stu's comment of last evening about 4 or 5 players in the England side think of it another way, Yorkshire have developed (some of) these players to be good enough to play for their country: Lancashire's current players, Anderson excepted, just aren't good enough to play for England. Perhaps apologies to Mr. Buttler, who of course was imported but hasn't played first-class cricket for Lancashire this season anyway.

As well as Fisher, how about a loan of Leaning? I am aware of the endless stick he gets, but this is meant to be a serious suggestion. He clearly has talent and maybe a change of scenery would do him good and be beneficial to both parties.

Howden73
(Login howden73)

August 28 2016, 9:06 PM 

I think you'll be seeing Haseem Hameed as Alistair Cook's opening partner sooner than you think.happy.gif Maybe even this winter in Bangladesh and India.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

August 29 2016, 8:35 AM 

have to agree with that.

I wouldn't count on Hameed playing much cricket for lancs next season.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 29 2016, 1:19 PM 

We'll see, he's 19 and not played a full season of FC cricket yet, there have been a number of young players who've come into county cricket and made a big impact in their first season only to find it a bit tougher second time around as the pros start to pick their technique apart; we were probably saying similar things after Lees' first season of county cricket for instance. I'm sure Hameed is an excellent prospect but let's not put too much pressure on him.

howden73
(Login howden73)

August 29 2016, 3:25 PM 

The only consolation for Lancs if they lose Hameed to England is that he is unlikely to make the ODI and Twenty20 teams, so he should still be available for a decent number of championship matches (in the same way as Cook - 6 matches for Essex so far this season).

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 29 2016, 8:48 PM 

1. Cook
2. Hameed
3. Root
4. Bell or Joe Clarke
5. Bairstow
6. Stokes
7. Foakes (wk)

How can that not be an improvement on 2016? There are alternatives, too. Gubbins, for example, if Hameed is thought to need more time; Hain, if and when he becomes England qualified.

With so many of the bowlers having genuine batting ability, we should also be able to field our BEST spinners, whoever they may be, two of them in sub-continent this winter.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 29 2016, 8:55 PM 

I would be interested to know why you believe Bell should be deserving of a recall, Dave. He doesn't appear to have done much in the Championship, and looked completely out of sorts when we played them a few weeks ago

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 30 2016, 8:33 AM 

Bell may have turned heads with a well timed one day knock on tv yesterday.

It would be a mistake to go back to him based on his performance at headingley a few weeks ago though. Pick Hain before him.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

August 30 2016, 9:19 AM 

Are you sure that's not a typo and you meant Bell-Drummond?

I'd like to see Hameed given a while yet, perhaps ease him in with a home test. Livingstone isn't a bad shout for the future either.

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Aug 30, 2016 9:21 AM

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk