<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

Re: scarbourgh

August 28 2016, 7:31 PM 

If there are fundamental problems with the viability of Headingley, it is hardly going to be because of eight days of championship cricket being played elsewhere, from which the club takes a financial cut anyway (I would also be interested to know how much club merchandise was bought by the 15,300 spectators last week and how that compares with Headingley sales at four day games).

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

August 28 2016, 7:37 PM 

I don't know the cut that is taken from the ticket sales, however it's clear headingley needs every penny it can get.

I think the attendence would be more than that, someone said it 10k day one and 5k day two against notts.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

August 28 2016, 8:29 PM 

Attendances are high at Scarborough and I love going. It's a long time though, since more than 7,000 have regularly attended.
With more than about 6,000 in the ground, it's an uncomfortable squeeze.

I would support two Championship fixtures at Scarborough for as long as good attendances can be maintained.

Yorkshire need to work very hard to build their support base and should be able to attract far higher audiences than that which attended today's semi-final. I hope the Club feels disappointed with today's attendance. Nevertheless, as support is grown for the one day forms of the game, Headingley is the only ground in the County with the capacity to comfortably accommodate crowds of 6,000 plus.

I wish it were different.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

August 28 2016, 9:09 PM 

There wasn't a 10,000 crowd on the first day. 4971. Almost exactly the same on day 2. Chris Waters recorded the final aggregate as 15,300. Day 3 lower coz of the weather and day 4 the usual lower last day figure.

Looking at my 1980s photos of championship matches, i would say that championship crowds at Scarbs now are much, much higher than in the 1980s. Over the past 15 years or so when exact crowd numbers have been recorded, the crowds have been largely unchanged. Exception in 2001 when the first title for 33 years was in view. Great video of that match, BTW, on You Tube. Higher attendances now, as against the 1980s, might reflect the higher number of retired people in the UK population compared to the 1980s.

One day crowds at Scarbs are lower than, say, the 1990s and much lower than in the 1970s/early 1980s - again from looking at old photos and recent announced gate figures. The 1970s crowds of course benefited from one day cricket still being a relative novelty. The recent decline vis a vis the 1990s i am sure is partly because of the endless messing around with the 40/50 over competitions.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 29 2016, 1:17 PM 

Recent results on the pitch notwithstanding- and I think you would be on very shaky ground if you were to include these as a factor for deciding the future of Scarborough- they have clearly got the split correct. Championship cricket is better-attended at Scarborough than Headingley and is far better-attended than one-day cricket so it clearly makes sense to leave the Championship games at Scarborough.

I'm sure there would have been a bigger crowd for the SF yesterday had (a) Yorkshire been able to field a stronger XI and (b) had the weather leading up to the game not been so foul.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

August 29 2016, 10:22 PM 

Taking the new toss rules into consideration and that pitches have worn faster than usual (three weeks according to Mark Butcher), having two CC matches at Scarborough might be a shrewd decision.

As far as I am aware, the white ball formats are yet to be determined and Andrew Strauss wants more 50 over cricket. Reducing two CC matches potentially allows a 16 match T20 Blast, therefore an additional T20 home game goes a fair way to compensate for the loss of a CC home match.

(Login dpressed)

August 30 2016, 7:29 AM 

Apologies for the confusion over Scarborough. My tryping let me down, again

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 30 2016, 8:29 AM 

The club need to look to use headingley for other games more often especially when we play at Scarborough. We have never hosted t20 finals day but most other test grounds have. Ladies internationals are another option.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 30 2016, 1:24 PM 

Agree in principle but that may be easier said than done. The Finals Day venue has already been decided until 2019 and I doubt Headingley would be considered with other grounds having much higher capacities anyway. I can't see the women's internationals being profitable and the ECB seem to prefer using smaller grounds (Chelmsford seemingly being favourite), where a crowd of 3000-4000 makes the ground look reasonably full.

(Login ShandyPants)

August 30 2016, 3:04 PM 

As someone trying to arrange a weekend (hopefully) in Scarbados in 2017 a 50 over game or first/second day of a championship game would be appreciated on a Saturday

(Login dpressed)

August 30 2016, 4:50 PM 

T20 finals day was raised at the last member's forum. The answer was that we don't have the facilities to host it so we haven't bid for one. It was then inferred that we may do once the football stand has been rebuilt

This message has been edited by dpressed on Aug 30, 2016 4:53 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 30 2016, 7:24 PM 

That would make sense. We could hardly reasonably argue that we have superior facilities to Edgbaston and Trent Bridge- the two upcoming hosts- at present.

Ws55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 1 2016, 12:00 AM 

Two or three years ago I travelled from Brussels to Scarborough for a Notts game (Gale's 270-odd ...). Was delighted at how easy it was -- two hours Brussels to St Pancras, 5 minutes walk to Kings X, 2 hours to York, 50 minutes to Scarborough.
Couldn't actually do it and back in a day, but still ... got there after a day's work, ready for a lie-in and 11 o'clock start the next day. Brilliant.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 1 2016, 12:33 AM 

and they whinge about having to travel to scarborough from west yorkshire.

ian
(Login devon_outcast)

A CC free headingley?

September 1 2016, 9:32 AM 

At the risk of being shot down in flames.

Would it really be the worst thing in the world if there was not a CC game at Headingley during July/August?

I'm not suggesting that there's no Cricket but with the various proposals for T20s, 50/50 games, Yorkshire Diamonds and Internationals the summer dates can fill up. From a business perspective would the club be justified in getting more bums on seats for games that only last 1 day each.

July and August (kids holidays I guess) see an increase in attendances but I'm not sure that day 3 of a game vs Hampshire (made that fixture up) is going to appeal to the day out with the kids market. Cheap prices and kids for a quid will fill the larger ground, sell more burgers and beer than at Scarborough.

I love going to Scarborough, great ground and ideally suited to 4 day games. Continuing to host the 4 day games on the coast seems a good fit. The excellent crowds we get here would more than fill many main county grounds (thinking Taunton, Sussex etc).

The population around Leeds is a larger Market to attract 'day out' supporters than Scarborough. A different demographic but not a bad one.

Ian

Spire Tyke
(Login SpireTyke)

Scarborough

September 1 2016, 12:24 PM 

I always felt that the one day crowds for the Sunday League games in the early eighties were higher because it was the only place you could get a drink after 2pm

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

Re: Scarborough

September 1 2016, 12:46 PM 

Spire Tyke (Login SpireTyke)
Posted Sep 1, 2016 12:24 PM

I always felt that the one day crowds for the Sunday League games in the early eighties were higher because it was the only place you could get a drink after 2pm

True & the shops weren't open either I don't think.

(Login dpressed)

September 1 2016, 5:26 PM 

ST is right about the Sunday League. It got so bad that they had to close the bars for a while and I remember the start of the ban on bringing alcohol into the ground. But people got used to going to cricket on a Sunday afternoon. The rot started when they changed the Sunday League to the One Day League. The first few games under floodlights were well attended, but the crowds soon tailed off as people realised that it's cold and they can watch matches in the pub where it's warmer & the beer is cheaper

This message has been edited by dpressed on Sep 1, 2016 5:46 PM

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 1 2016, 7:03 PM 

I think floodlit games are a red herring. From my experience far more people are put off going because of the late finishes and the cold than are attracted. Especially in 50 over games. It is just unnecessary.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 1 2016, 7:15 PM 

marsker (Login marskeman)
Posted Sep 1, 2016 7:03 PM

I think floodlit games are a red herring. From my experience far more people are put off going because of the late finishes and the cold than are attracted. Especially in 50 over games. It is just unnecessary.

I agree 100% with the above.
The ECB administrators confuse the balmy evenings in the sub-continent & Australia with the chill evenings we enjoy(?) here even at the height of summer.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk