<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
stevebluejay
(Login stevebluejay)

Re: Scarborough

September 1 2016, 7:27 PM 

I went to the Notts T20 game on mid summers day June 21st (ish!) last year and i had a coat on and the wife had a big coat on and most of the 8,000 or so crowd were well wrapped up and drinking warm drinks instead of beer because it was that cold. From what i remember it was around 12 or 13 degrees at around 7.30 or so.

So the comments above about balmy evenings are true. The main thing about T20 under the lights is the fact that many people can get to the games after work or school, which is a fair point, good weather is a distinct bonus!

This message has been edited by stevebluejay on Sep 1, 2016 7:55 PM

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 1 2016, 8:04 PM 

I think the only way around would be to have 50 over games start at noon and then on a weekend, maybe a Friday. As mentioned 20/20 is at a set time so people can come after work. Not a great deal we can do about the weather.

Was it last year an early game at scarborough, with wind chill, it was just above freezing?

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 1 2016, 8:10 PM 

That would be th best solution. 50 over games during the day, t20 in the evening with floodlights.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 1 2016, 8:24 PM 

Yes it could work, I think it would be better to have them start earlier. I'm not sure there's much demand for 50 over as a day/night at county level as 100 overs in a day is quite a lot, but the counties have a few at that time. Only downside it would limit them to 50 over games on a weekend.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 1 2016, 8:31 PM 

And then sky will come along to tell you when to start anyway to fit in around Wardys golf and some third rate football from South America.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 1 2016, 9:17 PM 

True but we get money from sky, so that's at least something. Not sure that there are many 50 over games on sky per season?

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 1 2016, 11:21 PM 

Yes T20 under floodlights works because that actually means the start can be moved to a time that people can make after work, day/night 50 over matches are no good for spectators at the ground and are another thing that only exists for the benefit of TV audiences.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

September 7 2016, 3:55 PM 

Two 4 day games guaranteed at Scarborough, announced today.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 7 2016, 4:02 PM 

84% of those responding to the survey voted for two cc games at Scarborough. Decisive but not surprising.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 7 2016, 4:57 PM 

That decision will probably lead to me cancelling my membership.
It won't represent value for money.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

September 7 2016, 6:23 PM 

Not seen it official but guy sat in Truemans today said membership prices are frozen for 2017 our Headingley CC games will probably be at the beginning and end of season with Scarbro taking the 2 summer ones.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 7 2016, 7:49 PM 

A 'Headingley only' slightly cheaper membership option might be necessary.

(Login dpressed)

September 7 2016, 8:08 PM 

Sorry but I'm sick of Leeds members complaining because they have to travel to Scarborough to watch cricket. The team is Yorkshire, not Leeds. The rest of the County have to travel to get to home matches. Stop moaning & get thyself to Scarborough.

To get to & from Scarborough is about 3 days travel to & from Leeds for me. The massive advantage is once I park up in Trafalgar Square I can forget the car until it's time to go home, rather than fighting may way to & from the ground.

As for Leeds only membership. I pay a full membership but saw 1 T20 played on a Sunday as with luck I can get to a Friday 7pm match, but it's a massive rush after work. No way could I do it on public transport. 50 over matches are played as day/night matches. I can do them by car, but I'd be late home. So again Leeds members should realise how lucky they are.

This message has been edited by dpressed on Sep 7, 2016 8:23 PM

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 7 2016, 8:45 PM 

Everyone has to draw the line somewhere when it comes to travelling for cricket. For some that is just watching Yorkshire at headingley. However the attendance at NMR doesn't seem to be affected by its distance from Leeds, so there's obviously plenty of people that do like to go.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 7 2016, 8:46 PM 

I'm with Dpressed on this. I have an 80 mile round trip to Leeds and 150 to Scarborough. With 2nd team cricket its approx 85 to York and 80 to Harrogate. I've no sympathy with the Leeds crowd. We are Yorkshire CCC.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 7 2016, 8:49 PM 

Prices are frozen as I got my pack today. Should have gone down £20 for four days less cricket, but the club were never going to do that.

No 4 day cricket at Headingley in July & August, and all the 50 over stuff there, where we are useless!! we have lost our last four 50 over matches at Headingley.

(Login matthefish2002)

September 7 2016, 9:12 PM 

You are not going to please everyone but think the right decision been taken as regards to Scarboro.
Living in Sheffield its too far to go for anything other then a Championship game and stopping over.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 7 2016, 9:17 PM 

Whilst Scarborough is a decent venue to watch cricket, there is a chronic lack of facilities in the event of inclement weather and this needs to be addressed if North Marine Road is to justify hosting two County Championship matches a season.

Also the ground needs to be able to cope in the event of heavy rainfall prior to a game or during it. Last thing Yorkshire need is to lose points because of play lost to the weather, where Headingley is better equipped to minimise such delays.

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

September 7 2016, 9:17 PM 

Let's not get these changes out of proportion.
We are only losing one four day match at Headingley and it is one that would have been played in the middle of April or in late September, times of the year when it is likely to be freezing cold or else the match ruined by rain.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 7 2016, 9:50 PM 

No Roundhegian, it is not a match in April or September at Headingley we are losing. That is when we will be playing at Headingley. It is July & August when there will be no CC cricket at Headingley.

5 matches at Leeds during April, May, June & September. 2 matches at Scarborough during July & August.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk