<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

Re: Scarborough

September 7 2016, 11:28 PM 

I've got sympathy with Pyrahtechnics. Scarborough is a lovely place to go when the sun shines but dismal and forbidding in the rain. I'm not sure much can be done about that which is affordable. However, the problem of adequate covers, drying equipment and possibly even drainage should be addressed as part of the commitment to 25% of our home championship fixtures being played there.
I'd hate Scarborough to be blamed, one season, for denying Yorkshire a championship or causing a relegation.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

September 8 2016, 6:53 AM 

I'm going to repeat a couple of things I've said before. Firstly, this is an undesirable state of affairs forced on the club by the decision to reduce games. They're trying to make the best of it. Secondly, my preferred option from a purely selfish point of view would have been one game only at Scarborough. However it seems highly unlikely that NMR could survive on that basis. It needs to keep two games or it will probably decline and keep none. If that is the case I'm in favour of two Scarborough games. Whether there are ways in which subs could or should reflect that is a different issue. Similarly with the question of facilities, but I think it's an opportunity for YCCC to point out that they have - or will have - made a decision in Scarborough's favour and that there are a few improvements to the terms of the agreement which could be made, e.g. members' guest vouchers also valid for Scarborough.

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

September 8 2016, 1:15 PM 

In the letter from mark Arthur that accompanied the 2017 membership packs I received yesterday he states that 80% of respondents to the recent membership survey supported two championship fixtures at Scarborough.
Although the decision re venues/fixtures is yet to be ratified, the membership details for one day membership refer only to access to games at Headingley (not Scarborough). These two points suggestto me that unless its another publication cock-up (which, as we know, cannot be ruled out)then the clear intention is 2 county championship fixtures but no one-day fixtures at Scarborough.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 8 2016, 6:52 PM 

Yes, that is definitely the intention Nick. The choice was either one Championship game and two one-day games or two Championship games. I think the right decision has been made; the attendance figures alone attest to this.

Re: Scarborough drainage, as far as I recall there was a deluge on the night of the third day of the Notts game and play started on time on Day Four, so I don't think there is any evidence this is an issue. We're not talking about a situation like Chesterfield.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Sep 8, 2016 6:53 PM

sheffieldhawk
(Login sheffieldhawk)

Scarborough must be retained

September 8 2016, 6:56 PM 

I saw my first cricket at Bramall Lane, then Scarborough. Bradford and Harrogate were also used in addition to Leeds.

I can understand the need to maximise the use of Headingly but you cannot ignore the attendances at Scarborough!

It would not be impossible to send the drying equipment over the day before a match would it?

The daily travel time to and from Headingly, 2 trains, for me is 3 hours, I go to Scarborough for a relaxed week of cricket and fish and chips, a total travel time of 5 hours!

The Leeds contingent must realise the club is Yorkshire, Scarborough is an hour away, one train, hardly a marathon!!

Cricket grounds are not designed for wet weather, Headingly is hardly welcoming when there is no play!

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

Re: Scarborough must be retained

September 8 2016, 9:58 PM 

As a Bradford man, I am with you Sheffieldhawk. Travel to Leeds is of course easier than travel to Scarborough, but is travel nonetheless. I miss Park Avenue and Harrogate and relish the fact that we are (just) still a more-than-one ground county. Scarborough has its other delights as well as the cricket, a visit well worth the prompting that the cricket brings.

EastCoastExile
(Login EastCoastExile)

September 8 2016, 10:19 PM 

Both Leeds and Scarborough are over 200 miles away for me but I am delighted with this decision. Four day games at Scarborough are events with cricket the focus but so much more. The views on both beaches and the harbour, walks up to the castle, Peasholm Park, the scenery on the train up from York. Top class chips. We should cherish all this before it disappears.
A serious question. Is there anywhere better to watch serious cricket than from the popular bank on a sunny day at Scarborough surrounded by a big crowd? Especially if we are running through the opposition on the way to a big win. If there is, I'd like to know.

(Login Tyke1950)

September 8 2016, 10:28 PM 

Coming from Bakewell and having a Bradford birth certificate makes me a Headingley sceptic.
I loved the days when the cricket team travelled the county. At no time, in my opinion, has Headingley ever matched the atmosphere and character of Bradford Park Avenue or Bramall Lane or North Marine Road. If I could turn back the clock I would.

But cricket in Yorkshire is now focussed on a single Headquarters. Huge sums of money have been spent on trying to make Headingley a comfortable and welcoming place for the supporters as well as a well-equipped environment for the pursuit of excellence on the field.
The decision, therefore, to locate 25% of the remaining Championship fixtures at Scarborough is a very big one. I'm not opposed to the decision but I have concerns about the adequacy of facilities for both spectators and players. I would hope, that resources would be allocated to Scarborough in order to maintain and expand facilities so that Yorkshire's wonderful players and supporters can enjoy the experience of county cricket in conditions appropriate to the Champion County.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 9 2016, 2:44 PM 

Why not have the marquee up for the non-festival Scarbs game as a members area. Meals and bar.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 9 2016, 11:02 PM 

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Sep 10, 2016 11:52 AM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk