<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Next years venues

August 27 2016 at 11:02 AM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

I think the club have agreed on no 50 over matches at Scarborough next season and still two CC matches there.

We are not playing to our strengths!!

Headingley - we have only lost 1 CC match in the last 22. Scarborough we have lost 2 from the last 8.

Headingley - we have only won 3 of our last 8 50 over matches, including losing our last 3 and have a much better record at Scarborough.

Next season we have no 50 over matches at Scarborough where we nearly always play better and less CC at Headingley where we are almost unbeatable.

Just a suggestion with tongue firmly in cheek. Why not play four 50 over matches and one CC match at Scarborough. Good both for results and attendances (especially if the four 1 dayers were played on Sundays). Same number of days cricket at Scarborough as well (8 days).

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

scarbourgh

August 27 2016, 3:56 PM 

thought everybody wanted two county games at Scarbrough ,only having one would affect boarding houses and hotels ,and people coming for a fifty over game would fetch their own food and drink ,obviously yccc don't run like a business they just ponder to pressure and not what is good business .

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

Re: scarbourgh

August 27 2016, 4:17 PM 

Gary Verity on Look North during the week claimed the Scarborough matches put £4 million into the local economy. He also says on a website that 28,000 people per year visit the town to watch cricket, so that would be £143 per person which seems a lot.
Anyway it is not the primary purpose of YCCC to boost the Scarborough economy though clearly the synergy is good for everyone.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

August 27 2016, 4:26 PM 

I usually go to Scarborough for both CC matches and stay there for the week, travelling from Scotland and have done this over many years, attending my first Festival cricket 70 years ago. There is no way that I would do this just to watch a one day match. It would be a sad day for Yorkhire cricket if it became even more centred on Headingley, which is not really an attractive venue.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

August 27 2016, 5:33 PM 

Dont think anybody wants a reduction in cricket at Scarbro , but we also dont want a reduction in cricket CC games at Headingley where a good percentage of our games will probably be in April or late Sept

(Login dpressed)

August 27 2016, 6:52 PM 

There are 2 opinions over Scarborough. Most members what 2 matches 'by the sea'. But there are a significant number who don't,t travel and what as much cricket as possible at Headingley.

As should be obvious I'm a 2 matches Scarbados person.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

August 27 2016, 7:12 PM 

I Don't worry at all about non travelers to Scarborough lots of us travel 75 miles to headingley.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

August 27 2016, 7:13 PM 

I think it's a difficult circle to square. Scarborough is popular with the fans, however headingley is an expensive stadium that needs as much cricket as possible to pay it's way.

I should go watch cricket at Scarborough one of these days and see what all the fuss is about.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 27 2016, 7:39 PM 

The main worry for me, is possibly no 4 day cricket at Headingley for the whole of July & August as those CC matches will be at Scarborough.

The only 50 over matches we have won this season have been at Scarborough, and next season we have no 50 over matches there.

We have won just one of our last five 50 over matches at Headingley, and next season we are playing them all there.

Peter (Don)
(Login Yfactor)

August 28 2016, 12:17 AM 

Two 4 day matches at Scarborough with all the rest of the fixtures at Headingley is the best plan.

An important consideration is the difficulty of televising live cricket from Scarborough because the huge trucks which the TV Companies use cannot access North Marine Road easily or at all!

It`s sad that TV coverage should have any affect on fixture planning but 50 overs and T20 games need to be available if required. (Whether we like it or not!)

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

August 28 2016, 8:20 AM 

If the powers that be want the Northern powerhouse to become a reality they need to drastically upgrade the transport links to the East Coast from the Humber northwards.
I believe even more people would go to Scarborough for the cricket & to all the other east coast resorts if it was quicker & easier to get there.
I don't go because the journey from Leeds is dreadful. It's ok to York but can easily become a nightmare thereafter.
The rail journey at busy times is equally rubbish with an inadequate number of carriages.
Compare the trip to Scarborough with the ease of getting to Blackpool or Southport.
The entire road & rail network across the north is totally unfit for purpose, the links between Sheffield & Manchester being arguably the worst.
Supporters of Scarborough may say that I can of course go over to stay but that is not practicable due to a wife who hates cricket & two dogs who cannot come to the ground with me.
Finally, I have no desire to pay over the odds in the high season (or at any other time for that matter) for somewhere to stay that is markedly inferior to my own house.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

August 28 2016, 9:22 AM 

Couldn't agree more Old Feller, ive tried every which way but loose from Leeds and on average for a Yorks game with a hint of sun you can be looking at 2/3 hrs journey each way by car , I haven't completely given up on Scarbro which is my favourite ground but without doubt only go now when a full days play is likely and the schools are open (re every mum and their dog heading for the coast in holiday time), unlike Headingley when i go every time i can .

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 28 2016, 9:35 AM 

I can usually do it in 2 hours from North Manchester; this time it took 3 hours because of problems on the M62 around Leeds. I used to travel each day, but as my age and petrol prices have both increased I now prefer to stay over in Scarborough.

How brilliant it was to see the ground packed on days 1 and 2, well populated on 3 and 4. The last bastion of real cricket.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

August 28 2016, 9:59 AM 

Old fella, is the train from Leeds that bad? I was thinking of taking my first trip up to watch Yorkshire at Scarbourgh next season and see what all the fuss is about.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

August 28 2016, 10:06 AM 

The train is a good option but to get the best price you need to book well in advance making it a risk , a perfect solution would be a good road network and the abolition of the Hopwood junction road improvements happy.gif sometimes it feel like it would be quicker driving over the fields.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

August 28 2016, 10:33 AM 

Cheers, mind you headingley feels like a bit of a pain to get to for me. The trains out of headingley even on match day only run infrequently and seem never to be at a convenient time, particularly if I go watch a day/night game. Plus they never seem to connect with any trains leaving leeds train station so I'm often left hanging about waiting. A relative who lives just east of huddersfield, spent 3 hours coming back from Headingley one night. I'd drive but I like a drink at the game.

Well we are talking about transport, does anyone know if the buses from the train station to the ground still run? I went to the Warkwickshire game and looked on the website to see they weren't running, yet when I left the ground there were 3 or 4 double deckers waiting outside showing leeds train station.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

August 28 2016, 6:38 PM 

A few points:

- In a county as large as Yorkshire, it is not reasonable to expect every game to be on your doorstep.
- It has been reported that the two Scarborough four day fixtures are the best attended four day fixtures in the country. Presumably, this accolade could be extended to 'best attended domestic first-class fixture in the world'. It would be madness to chop either of them.
- Making decisions that would seriously affect the finances/survival of one of the county's only two grounds on the basis of recent results is not really very sensible. Apart from anything else, the above-reported two recent defeats at Scarborough were largely the product of playing the best team in the country at the time, in the latter case with a much-weakened team.

This message has been edited by EastCoastType on Aug 28, 2016 6:42 PM

(Login dpressed)

August 28 2016, 6:43 PM 

The first day if the Notts match was watched by 4971 the 2nd by 4994. Today's semi was attended by less than 4,900. Yet some people still want the rest of the County to travel to their doorstep. We are Yorkshire not Leeds

Ps I've corrected my type that originally said 9,779 sorry

This message has been edited by dpressed on Aug 30, 2016 7:27 AM

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

August 28 2016, 6:48 PM 

To re-enforce Stu's argument, there is definitely a case for hosting 50 over games at Scarborough, based on our Headingley record.

Sky could cover it with drones, they cram enough into thier commentary boxes.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

August 28 2016, 6:59 PM 

Attendences are high at Scarborough no doubt about it, but cann YCCC afford to play x amount of days cricket away from their ground? That's the key question.

I wonder how the other counties get along, do other clubs also own their outgrounds?

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk