<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Gillespie Gone

August 29 2016 at 9:03 AM
Guest  (Login WhiteroseDave)

The club have just announced that Jason Gillespie will leave at the end of the season. There's been a lot of speculation recently but I didn't think it would be this soon. Bad news for us.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login Jacobus24)

Re: Gillespie Gone

August 29 2016, 9:12 AM 

They should have announced this after the season has finished.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 29 2016, 9:15 AM 

Just what I wanted to wake up to after yesterday!

Would have preferred the announcement to be made at the end of the season as well (preferably with a successor announced at the same time).

(Login WhiteroseDave)

August 29 2016, 9:19 AM 

Agree, this could have been announced at the end of the season, especially with them saying a replacement wouldn't be looked for until then anyway.
Gale to retire from playing and a Gale/Pyrah duo to take over?

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

August 29 2016, 9:19 AM 

Bit of a gutter but the reality is we all saw it coming and he has every right to return home with his young family.

Let's hope this inspires us to a third CC title in a row.

The search now begins for a new coach. I presume Dawson at Gloucestershire would be a very good fit. He's done well on a shoestring there. He's Yorkshire and with us as coach recently.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 29 2016, 9:21 AM 

Anyone but Moxon (who is a fine no.2, I should add)

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

August 29 2016, 9:24 AM 

I think Dizzy has embedded good habits and an outstanding ethos, so I'm not quite as worried by this as I would have been a year ago.

The end of the season is the obvious time to announce it. However I picked up the rumour that this was imminent while at Scarborough. I don't think the club would have got to the end of the season without having to make a statement, and it's better for them to be in charge of the news getting out.

On the positive side, I'm sure the team will want to give him a good send-off.

As for the club, I believe we have had two Australian honorary life members. We should now elect a third.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 29 2016, 9:24 AM 

Before we all start moaning about the timing and speculating about the future - can we just take a few moments to thank Jason for a brilliant job!
He took a promising group of young players and moulded them into a fantastic team.
We played attractive positive cricket and we actually won things.
I've loved following Yorkshire for the last five years and i'd like to thank Jason for EVERYTHING hes done for Yorkshire cricket and the hours of pleasure hes given me.
I wish him and his family every future success and happiness.

(Login Jacobus24)

August 29 2016, 9:27 AM 

I'm more concerned about the rest of the season, its about the team not individuals including the coach.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 29 2016, 9:29 AM 

Seconded Steve. I echo and agree with all your sentiments.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

August 29 2016, 9:29 AM 

Hear Hear idle man.

Dizzy should be given the freedom of the county.

he will be hard to replace.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 29 2016, 9:37 AM 

All good things come to an end and this was inevitable at some stage. I suspect it's family driven rather than cricket related but I suspect he won't be short of offers back home to advance his coaching career.

I don't think the timing is inappropriate. First it means the team now have an added incentive to win the third title in a row. Second it gives the fans the chance to give him a proper farewell at headingley in our last home game. Thirdly he may have another role lined up where they want to announce the role before the season ends.

I would like to thank Dizzy for raising standards at the club, improving performance and winning trophies that matter. Hard act to follow and plenty of options. Former players doing well elsewhere in coaching roles and overseas options. Plenty to think about

(Login Jacobus24)

August 29 2016, 9:37 AM 

"Jason feels the close season is an appropriate time to part company," a Yorkshire statement said.

So reading between the lines the club might not feel the same way. I'm not convinced both Jason and the club are getting along that well, we had the whole sponsorship cheese farm issue lets not forget.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 29 2016, 9:40 AM 

I was told this at Scarborough on Friday, and also that the Club was interviewing Paul Grayson today (Monday), though the official statement would seem to refute this second part.

Whoever the new coach is, he MUST continue what Dizzy started. Gillespie will live forever in our hearts.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

August 29 2016, 9:41 AM 

Many thanks to Jason. Five wonderful years. He did what no other has been able to do - take the club out of the shadow of its 1960s achievements. He also acted with considerable composure and class.

Probably the right decision. Five years is a long time and people like Jason need new challenges. He leaves with a great track record and leaves behind a club with better habits and attitudes (and, just in time, an improved approach to white ball cricket). The one thing he hasn't been able to address is the batting problems of the last 15 months. The top priority for his replacement.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

thanks DIZZY

August 29 2016, 9:41 AM 

people on here wanting the announcement made at the end of the season why? all the team would know dizzy was leaving so why keep it a secret to the public , let's hope it is not someone from within .

(Login Jacobus24)

Re: thanks DIZZY

August 29 2016, 9:47 AM 

I'm worried about results, hopefully i'm just being negative and everything will end well.

stevebluejay
(Login stevebluejay)

August 29 2016, 9:52 AM 

I think that these things have a tendency to be leaked to the media or get out into the public domain anyhow, so Yorkshire have just reacted by making it public and to end the speculation.

Also with JG's family having returned to Australia it was obvious what would be happening. I personally think the timing is neither here nor there as there may be a thought within the camp of 'let's win it for Jason' re the Championship and just give the lads extra motivation, not that they need anymore of it.

Good luck to JG for whatever he does next and many thanks for the fantastic work he has done here and i hope that whoever we appoint can carry on the legacy that he will leave.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

August 29 2016, 9:53 AM 

We've been given perfectly logical and reasonable personal reasons for this. I can't see any real evidence of his relations with the club souring. And surely not even Yorkshire could let someone of value go because of a cheese farm.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

August 29 2016, 9:56 AM 

Thanks Jason for everything you've achieved for & with the club over the past five years.
I wish him all the best for the future until he becomes the Australian head coach when I wish him to fail dismally particularly in any Ashes series.
Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen.
Paul Grayson? You have to be joking, after the resounding success he had with Essex?
Richard Dawson, yes please.
Re the downbeat tone of the club's announcement, surely that's because Gillespie has a contract with another 12 months to run, so obviously they didn't want him to leave?
Or have I made that bit up about him being under contract till 2017?

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 57 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk