<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: Sorry - stand aside...

September 1 2016, 11:02 PM 

Force the pace for me. I wouldn't fancy Hants to chase more than 250 anyway. Would be happy for us to bowled out before tea tomorrow.

Edgbaston looks very wet on Saturday also.

JG
(Login _JG_)

Re: Sorry - stand aside...

September 1 2016, 11:30 PM 

Today's Cricinfo report very complimentary about our bowling performance in unfavourable conditions. I get the impression from his reports that the correspondent hasn't seen much of our side recently; it's easy to take the likes of Sidebottom and Brooks for granted but looking from the eyes of an outsider can remind us how special they really are.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/1052903.html

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

Weather forecasts

September 1 2016, 11:37 PM 

The forecasts for Saturday are currently suggesting half a day's play at Southampton and none at all at Edgbaston.
Thus it seems we should try to build a lead of about 300 by mid afternoon tomorrow and that would be enough, allowing about 70-80 overs to bowl Hants out the second time around.
Middx on the other hand should probably declare round about lunchtime tomorrow and try to finish off Warwicks in two sessions. But I don't think they will.
If Middx follow this strategy, the forecast is wrong and Warwicks pull off an unlikely win, Warwicks would be back in contention especially if we fail to win.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

Re: Weather forecasts

September 2 2016, 9:44 AM 

I expect that we will ignore the weather & bat normally as for any 4 day game.
I'm sure that they will (should) try to force the pace but it depends also on how well Hants bowl.
Some folk on here seem to believe that our batting/bowling is the only variable ignoring what the opposition can or can't do.
If we go out this morning to try to thrash it we could well be bowled out cheaply setting Hants no real target.
We cannot control what Middx or Warks do in their game.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 2 2016, 11:03 AM 

Interested by some earlier comments re. Alex Lees. At the start of yesterday he had 894 championship runs, 2 hundreds and an average of 42.57. He's our highest entrant in the stats published in The Cricket Paper.

Our great white hope for some, Ben Duckett, has 778 second division runs, 2 hundreds, and an average of 45.76.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 2 2016, 11:21 AM 

443 runs at 63.28, SR 98.88.
477 runs at 43.36, SR 141.54.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 2 2016, 11:29 AM 

Sorry, what are those figures?

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 2 2016, 1:20 PM 

His stats in List A and T20 cricket, which are exceptional. He would undoubtedly be a massive boost to our white ball batting which is currently very reliant on Lyth and whichever overseas player we have around at the time.

By the way the Championship stats you quoted don't include the 80 and 185* Duckett has made in the current match, which take him to over 1000 runs @ 55 this season.

Any move looks unlikely anyway.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Sep 2, 2016 1:20 PM

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 3 2016, 12:42 PM 

I saw one of Duckett's big innings for England A so would be the last person to undervalue him particularly in white ball cricket. My comparison was more of our reactions to their performances than of the two players.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 3 2016, 11:56 PM 

Fair point, Lees' poor white ball performances shouldn't take away from the fairly decent season he's had in the Championship; my only issue here would be lack of innings to set the game up- no first innings centuries.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 4 2016, 9:31 AM 

Well the fourth day thread has rightly closed to avoid the tedium and usual arguments over declarations and our approach which is wearing thin.

Have the Middlesex fans castigated Franklin for not declaring earlier and perhaps setting Warwickshire a 4th innings target of 100 in potentially 150 overs due to the weather forecast saying rain would limit to only 30 overs?

I don think we could have done any more. Batting more aggressively to allow an early declaration sounds easy but bowlers, field placing, over rates and light don't help you.

Not often I cheer on the Lankys but I can make an exception this week.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 4 2016, 11:14 AM 

Duckett would be a replacement for Hodd, the only reason some have a problem with his name being mentioned is because of where he was born. I‎f Bairstow plays then at least we have a suitable replacement for our captain who hasn't produced consistent runs. I'm hoping Duckett is just 1 of 2 domestic players we sign but with Moxon in charge i'm not going to hold my breath.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 4 2016, 11:17 AM 

That will be the same Moxon who has overseen the signing of Hodd, Brooks, Willey, Plunkett, Sidebottom....

(Login Jacobus24)

September 4 2016, 11:30 AM 

His comments regarding overseas a while ago have left me to believe we'll never have success in limited overs whilst he's in charge. I believe apart from Willey the signings have been made for Championship cricket which i'm not criticising but i'd like to see the squad more balanced.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 4 2016, 11:36 AM 

Duckett is going nowhere judging by his recent comments. It sounds like we have a chance of signing Borthwick, who hasn't yet committed himself to Durham. I wouldn't be surprised if Lehmann signs for a full season next year, with Head augmenting him for the t20.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 4 2016, 11:38 AM 

Other than George Dobell speculating there is no hard evidence that Duckett is going anywhere. When he talks to the press the suggestion is quite the opposite in fact.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 4 2016, 4:03 PM 

For 2015 Moxon signed Finch (for the second time) and Maxwell. In one of the previews of the t20 World Cup, they were both listed in the top ten players to look out for, and both are far more respected in white than red ball cricket. This year's signings were Williamson, a star across all forms, and Head, another whose white ball reputation is significantly higher. I can't see that these signings support your comment at all Jacobus.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 4 2016, 5:38 PM 

Over the years we have never been consistent with signing players, in 2011 we had nobody then the year after we suddenly signed 2. At the start of this season we had no overseas help in one day cricket and by the end of the season we had nobody as well. It is true we need the T20 played in one small block rather than every Friday to help sign 2 players.

(Login dpressed)

September 4 2016, 7:07 PM 

The reason we had no overseas player for the White ball knock out was that Head was called up for Australia. Due to Essex signing someone for finals day a few years ago the rule is that you can't play an overseas player in the knock outs if he didn't play in a 'regular season'/league matches. So Lehmann can only play in Championship games.

This is the 2nd year this has hit us although last year was probably worse as Finch was with us during some of the league matches but didn't play due to injury.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 4 2016, 7:23 PM 

The year (2011?) we didn't have an overseas player was because we couldn't afford one.

< Previous Page 12 3 4 5 6 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk