<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 2)

September 1 2016 at 2:38 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Yorkshire 275-9 (85 overs)
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 2)

September 1 2016, 6:38 AM 

Big day today.

We need to do as we did v Notts and see the seamers deliver. If we an eke out another batting point it may be vital in bigger context of things.

Just as well the Hants slippers are not as good as ours. Let's hope our cordon catches as well as it has in the last few games.

So is your cricinfo open on the Yorkshire game or the odi at headingley whilst at your desk? Will be telling as to where your priorities are in those surveys!

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 1 2016, 7:56 AM 

ODI? is there another one today then?

cricinfo page open on the middx game, while listening to cally.

I would be seriously annoyed today if we got into a position to enforce the follow on and yet batted again. There are a number of tropical storms winging their way across the Atlantic, it is quite likely that there will be no cricket in england at all on saturday.

Therefore, we need to treat this game as an old fashioned 3 day game.

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

September 1 2016, 8:00 AM 

will be at the ODI and keeping the yorks score on the phone

bad day today for us and it could well be all over

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 1 2016, 8:07 AM 

not at all menston

still got 72 points to play for after this game

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 1 2016, 8:09 AM 

Disappointed if we don't enforce the follow on? I'd be doing cartwheels if we get Hants out for less than 125.

Mark Smith
(Login spikeyboy60)

September 1 2016, 8:12 AM 

I'm hoping middx bowl awfully,lose,get 1 point from the game,we get 22 for the win and we take the top position with 3 games left.....it's cricket,anything can and does happen....c'mon lads happy.gif

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 1 2016, 9:19 AM 

Sounds like a reasonable idea Mark ! Fingers crossed it pans out that way . Any win or us and even a draw for Middlesex would do me .

This message has been edited by garywilson2 on Sep 1, 2016 9:20 AM

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 1 2016, 9:34 AM 

I have to say I'm with Peter this time, we've already lost some overs and likely could lose a lot more so the follow on could be key.(I agreed with the decision not to enforce against Notts.) Normally I wouldn't dream of it with less than 300 on the board but against weak opposition with our seam attack on this pitch I don't think it's out of the question. Anyway I've opened myself up to look silly now.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 1 2016, 10:26 AM 

I think there is more than just the weather to factor in. It's often quoted that bowlers are tired so need a rest even though we bowled Notts out in little more than a t20 innings. An overnight break also makes a difference to give bowlers a rest as does the prospects of batting last on a Bunsen burner.

Asking a team to follow on when you get hem out for under 150 differs from 300.

But on balance I would enforce follow on in this game if we have that luxury which is not a given

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 1 2016, 10:29 AM 

I'm not sure how weak an opposition Hants are.
I believe a batting line-up with Adams, Vince & Ervine (in form) is not too shabby.
They've put us to the sword in the past so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 1 2016, 10:32 AM 

We are getting way ahead of ourselves! We have only scored 275 (lets hope we add at least 25 more!). But even if we do that, the chances of us dismissing Hants for less than 150 would seem to be a bit remote - this doesn't appear to be a minefield of a pitch. I guess we will know the lie of the land by lunchtime.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 1 2016, 10:33 AM 

I'll have two Cricinfo windows open: Yorkshire/Hants and All Live Scores. Plus Cally and the excellent Ken Someone on the radio.

Forecast is fair cloud all day, sunny in the morning, less so in the afternoon. Our bowling needs to fire and I am sure it will, but I don't see a follow-on coming our way.

First thing, we need to hit out, without going crazy, to 300; then go crazy and hope for but probably fail to get 350. No time wasted doing so.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 1 2016, 10:47 AM 

Agree with the last three posters. No way are we in a winning position yet. They are an excellent batting side, the forecast is for a clear and sunny day with excellent batting conditions. It could well be us facing a big first innings deficit. We shall know by close of play, but would not be surprised at Hampshire being 270 for 3 or 4.

I shall have two Cricinfo windows open, us and the Middlesex game. Def. not be listening to Cally, he is useless. I need the score, which he never gives.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 1, 2016 10:49 AM

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 1 2016, 11:09 AM 

Stu, I've sung his praises already. but local commentator Ken is an absolute model of professionalism and is on air much more than Cally who is always off doing update reports.

Sleuthing reveals he is:

KEN MAXTED has been a member of Hampshire since the early 1950s. He played club cricket extensively in Hampshire and Dorset for around 30 years, including at both the County Ground and Dean Park in Bournemouth. In the 1980s he became actively involved with Hampshire CCC in the general management of Dean Park, and in the later attempts to preserve the county’s position there. Thereafter, he continued to work with the Cooper Dean Estate to secure the future of the venue exclusively for quality cricket.

He has commentated regularly for forty years on cricket for The Hospital Broadcasting Association, locally at both Northlands Road and the Ageas Bowl and during the last ten years of the county’s tenancy at Dean Park. He has been responsible for the HBA cricket output since 2010, setting up in August of that year, on their behalf and with BeatPortFM, the first ECB Accredited independent online radio commentaries, reaching supporters worldwide.

This message has been edited by Fraisse10 on Sep 1, 2016 11:14 AM

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 1 2016, 11:15 AM 

Well, 12 minutes in, so much for 300.

Now we'll see.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 1 2016, 11:18 AM 

Crucial day in our CC quest. Ideally we will bowl them out for under 200 and Warwickshire will score 400+ happy.gif. Good effort by Brooks and Sidebottom with bar - now a few wickets each would be perfect. Maybe good day for Patto.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 1 2016, 11:19 AM 

Jack Brooks really has turned into an all rounder this year.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 1 2016, 11:21 AM 

Now we are in September the play should be starting at 10.30 to help to get in all overs before risk if bad light etc.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 1 2016, 11:25 AM 

Only 10.30 if the first day of the match is in September, which this was not. Our last 3 matches will have 10.30 starts, which with the "no toss" rule gives the "away" team a massive advantage.

6 wickets for Berg with his little dibbly dobblers!!

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk