<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 4)

September 3 2016 at 3:01 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

County Championship Division One, Hampshire v Yorkshire at Southampton, Aug 31-Sep 3, 2016

Yorkshire 281 & 143/2 (42 ov) Hampshire 222
Yorkshire lead by 202 runs with 8 wickets remaining

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Southampton Weather

AuthorReply
Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Hampshire vs Yorkshire at Southampton (Day 4)

September 3 2016, 5:28 AM 

Looks like Middlesex will have about an hour to beat Warwickshire, we should have most of the day. Need to bat well to declare at lunch though. 350 lead then (fingers crossed) 2 sessions to blast them out

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 3 2016, 6:46 AM 

I hope Yorks have enough time to force a win - not sure Hampshire would risk losing a "lucky 5 points" for a draw they did not look like getting at the close on second day.

Hants must have been quite happy that bad light prevented nearly a whole day's play after conceding a first innings lead of 59 and Yorkshire going so well in second dig.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 3 2016, 8:00 AM 

yep, looking at the updated forecast this morning, the rain is not due to arrive in southampton until around 6pm, giving us an excellent chance to force a win. Such a pity we got no play yesterday despite it staying dry all afternoon. Isn't there an argument to play in bad light if both sides agree?

Meanwhile, it looks like middlesex will only have an hour to get 7 wickets. Sweating on middx yesterday afternoon on their victory charge, think it will be their turn to sweat on our performance this afternoon.

We need to declare at lunchtime, or even just before, come what may. Even if we only have a lead of 340. It is unlikely hampshire will get those runs and if they try very likely we can bowl them out.

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 3 2016, 8:06 AM 

Bat for 15 overs get another 75 or so & declare no need to set them 350 that will not give us enough time to win

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 3 2016, 8:36 AM 

That would be very generous to hants, fozzie.

This is a really difficult decision to make. I suspect the team will bat normally all day and 'take the draw' like they did at old trafford.

But there must be a good chance to win if we set them something like 340 in 70 overs. This will give us in effect 2 chances to win. Bowl well and bowl them out, or they get themselves out when needing to up the rate later in the day, i really think hants will go for any reasonable target, and may even bowl joke bowlers this morning in a bid for us to set them something. That way they may get 75 overs to get the 340.

After seeing our behaviour in other games earlier this season, i doubt we will even try to win, unless perhaps middlesex pull off an unlikely win this morning.

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 3 2016, 8:44 AM 

Would want 10 overs at them before lunch so maybe 100 in 20 overs then, very much doubt that we will get all the overs in anyway today

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 3 2016, 9:11 AM 

Assuming Middlesex fail to win, I don't think Yorkshire will give Hampshire a sniff of victory...it might only be one point but Middlesex will have had their lead cut with all to play for.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 3 2016, 9:19 AM 

We need to bowl at some point, to get the over rate sorted, I believe it was minus 1 at the end of our first innings, so we need Hampshire to bat at some time to sort it out, or it is a 1 point deduction for us.

Might not gain a point on Middlesex if neither side play.

As for the bad light issue --- It used to be the case that if both sides wanted to carry on then they would. It was changed some time ago to the umpires always deciding if and when to go off for bad light. The teams now do not have that choice. If the umpires decide the light is to bad, the teams have to go off. A crazy ruling in cases where both teams want to play on.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

September 3 2016, 9:50 AM 

Edgbaston looks like it's raining till about 5.

Ours looks ok most of the day.

In cloudy conditions I fancy us to knock them over. A quick fire 80 in 10 overs would do the trick. See them 280 and challenge them to go for it in 85 odd overs.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 3 2016, 10:05 AM 

No Lewis, thats way too generous.

140 in 20 overs is as generous as i would be comfortable with....that would leave them needing around 340 in 74 overs. Gettable if they bat well, but with 74 overs to bowl we would have an excellent chance of bowling them out.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 3 2016, 10:09 AM 

I suspect we'll be quite advantageous today, although I'd be more confident about that statement if we knew a little more about how the pitch was playing.

I suspect we'll go for it early on and look to set them 330 - I think we'll be aiming at scoring another 130 in (approx) 18 overs giving us 10 overs at them pre-lunch. I suspect we'll lose some overs late in the day. I also suspect Hamps will hang on one way or another.

Bad light: Stu is right that the umps are now the sole determinant of light. My early memories are of batsmen 'appealing against the light' so I assume without an appeal the game carried on? My personal playing experience, dark days of evening league cricket, is that light effects fielding more than batting so the change is fair enough. My beef is that the bar is set to low and the game stops in conditions where it would be fair and reasonable to play on. Conditions may not be prefect but they are often playable when the game stops.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 3 2016, 10:10 AM 

I wouldn't fancy Hants to get 350 whether they had 70 or 170 overs.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

September 3 2016, 10:14 AM 

Exactly Dwight.

280 is a tough score to get batting last though granted we have lost a day practically to the rain.

Maybe edge closer to 300-320 to be safer but the key is we need to give ourselves enough overs before the rain comes.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 3 2016, 10:31 AM 

With nine wickets left and already a decent lead I think put fifty on at a decent pace and if there are still wickets in hand go knto full on T20 mode for the rest. No point knocking it around at three an over and declaring with nine wickets left. Let's get at them as soon as possible!

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 3 2016, 10:36 AM 

For the life of me i cannot understand how the umpires can suspend play for bad light when BOTH sides are happy to play.

I can understand the rule for offering the batsmen the light as being unfair as they would stay on if advantageous to them or go off if not, with the bowling side getting no input. but if both sides want to play who the hell are the umpires to say no.

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 3 2016, 10:41 AM 

True it's barmy to go OFF if both sides agree to play ON in bad light....unless it is dangerous.

But as for yesterday, I am pretty certain Hampshire were very happy to go off when they were under the cosh. They will be relieved if they get 9 points from a match when it looked like they might only get 4.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

September 3 2016, 10:41 AM 

doubt looking at rain today we will get more than 4 hrs in today

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 3 2016, 10:49 AM 

yes Papag, have to agree with you. Does that mean the declaration is adjusted? it should be, maybe get a quick 60 in 6 overs then declare.

Short range forecasting is very accurate, especially when its a huge rain band that will cover the entire country.

confirmed. no play in birmingham.

This message has been edited by Blackpooltyke on Sep 3, 2016 10:54 AM

menstonyccc
(Login menstonyccc)

September 3 2016, 10:58 AM 

The reason they go off if umpires consider bad light despite view of teams is legal - if there was an injury umpires risk action

There have been instances at club level where players have taken action for playing in unfit conditions

Umpires are in a difficult position

Sign of the times not saying it is right

Covers on at edgbaston according to Middlesex Twitter

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 57 Next >

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk