<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Pre-match thread CC - Yorks v Durham

September 5 2016 at 10:38 AM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Three matches each for the top two, with the final match at Lords between both sides going for the Championship.

A slightly easier next two, than us, for Middlesex (Notts & Lancashire, both away) and they have the advantage, with 10.30 starts and the "no toss" rule, of being able to stick the opposition in. Bearing in mind that Notts will be desperate for a win, so will, no doubt, prepare a "result" wicket, this gives them a huge advantage, early morning with a new ball and a fresh pace attack of TRJ, Murtagh (back from Ireland duties) & Finn (who is fit again).

Lancashire, at Old Trafford, for Middlesex follows, which, if the wicket is as it has been of late, should be a high scoring drawn match.

We have two home matches before the final week confrontation. Again with 10.30 starts and the "no toss" rule, it is almost certain we will be batting first in both. The last time we lost at Headingley was in April 2013, and it will not be a draw, as with 4 days full play, "draws" just do not happen at Headingley.

Predictions

Middlesex win v Notts, draw v Lancashire.

Yorkshire - two wins.

All set up nicely for the final week showdown.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 5, 2016 12:55 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Pre-match thread CC - Yorks v Durham

September 5 2016, 10:40 AM 

I think someone will point out home advantage at headingley is not a given. We tend to do better at Scarborough and the new toss rules especially in September may impact.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 5 2016, 10:44 AM 

We have lost 2 from 8 at Scarborough in the last 4 years. We have lost 1 from 22 at Headingley in the same period. So the record at Scarborough is considerably worse.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

September 5 2016, 10:45 AM 

If Stu is predicting two Yorkshire wins we must be in trouble. To balance things out, I predict Middlesex will still be ahead going into the last match, allowing them to prepare a "road".

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 5 2016, 10:47 AM 

Thanks Stu.

What's the win record at HQ though, this season in particular

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 5 2016, 11:19 AM 

3 wins from 4 this season at HQ. Not sure of the number of wins since our return to DIvision One, but only 1 loss in 4 years.

As I stated on another thread. Solely from a "winning matches" point of view, we would be better playing all our 1 day matches at Scarborough as we are considerably better at 50 over cricket there, and all our CC matches at Headingley, as we have an exceptional record there and are just about unbeatable (thats buggered it - probably lose our next two matches now!!).

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

September 5 2016, 11:20 AM 

Why are you so certain we'll be put in to bat just because it's a half hour earlier start? If it's glorious weather can't see the earlier start making a bit of difference.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 5 2016, 11:33 AM 

Not sure the stats are quite as clear cut as all that. Certainly from a statistical point of view you could say that 2/8 is equivalent to 6/24 losses at Scarborough which compares badly with 1/22 at Headingley. However we haven't played 24 matches at Scarborough, we have played 8. The sample is small (and we know how easily those two losses could have been draws)

Another way of looking at it is % draws and % wins at both grounds and see how they compare.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

September 5 2016, 12:37 PM 

I'm not sure it is a given that a "road" will be prepared at Lords if Middlesex are still top when we play them. Remember Mick Hunt (the head groundsman at Lords) is employed by MCC not Middlesex. He has a reputation for not being influenced by "home" teams when preparing his pitches - even England have moaned at him in the past for preparing good cricket wickets which are fair to both sides and not being favourable to England.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 5 2016, 1:13 PM 

An update on my earlier stats re "home" form from todays "Press".

".....The White Rose have only lost once in 28 Championship matches at Headingley since Jason Gillespie took over as coach ahead of 2012, winning 13 of them.

And Gale said: “We must have one of the best home records in the country over the last few years......."

For Martin ---- Scarborough since JG arrived (2012) played 10, won 7, drawn 1, lost 2.

To sum up......

Headingley since 2012 - played 28, won 13, drawn 14, lost 1.

Scarborough since 2012 - played 10, won 7, drawn 1, lost 2.

I guess that proves your point Martin and probably disproves mine!!. The figures are from yearbooks, hopefully correct.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 5, 2016 1:33 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 5 2016, 1:41 PM 

Thanks. The later stats are where I was baring my assumption that Headingley is not a given home win for us as we only win 50% there whereas is as high as 70 in Scarborough. Clearly Scarboroufh is a result wicket more than Headingley but it backfires against us occasionally!

It's also dangerous to base expected results on league positions. Last week we saw Vince strengthen the Hants batting order and with the Englsnd players possibly being released then some underperforming counties may be stronger such as Notts if Hales and Ball come back and Durham with Stokes and Wood.

Teams at the bottom fighting to survive may take more of a risk seeking a win.

Lancashire may raise their game as they did against us but didn't v Somerset.

A few twists and turns still await

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

toss

September 5 2016, 1:42 PM 

But what happens if it is a bright morning in Leeds? do Durham go for a toss letting us know they want to bat ,

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: toss

September 5 2016, 1:49 PM 

ThirdUmp --- Most of the draws at Headingley have been very much rain affected. I am of a firm opinion that there will always be a win for one of the teams at Headingley with a full 4 days cricket. IMO, it is more of a "result" wicket at Headingley than Scarborough, although the stats state otherwise. Better weather at Scarborough perhaps, so more matches completed!!

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 5 2016, 2:07 PM 

(Puts tin hat on), Bairstow is unavailable for the rest of the season, as is Root, but we knew that anyway. Plunkett, Willey and Rashid may be available for the final two games but I suspect only Rashid would currently get in the side.

(Login matthefish2002)

September 5 2016, 2:09 PM 

Expected Root to be missing but thought we would have Bairstow back.
Was looking forward to seeing him play.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 5 2016, 2:12 PM 

Bangladesh tour starts first week of October so I guess it was inevitable.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 5 2016, 2:24 PM 

Do the players have any say at all in what THEY want to do?

I suspect Jonny would be far happier helping us chase down a 3rd successive Championship, thus etching his name in the record books forever, rather than sitting on his derriere watching like the rest of us.

I have heard all the arguments re the ECB and their'ownership' of the players but, for me, it's wrong to treat the CC like this.

This message has been edited by legglance on Sep 5, 2016 2:27 PM

(Login Jacobus24)

September 5 2016, 2:25 PM 

My respect always goes to those that serve the club well as appose to those that mainly serve the ECB.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 5 2016, 2:34 PM 

Why? Aren't players allowed to be ambitious? They grow up dreaming of playing for England.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 5 2016, 2:38 PM 

Chris Jordan plays in this country because it helps his bank balance.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk