<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: last game

September 5 2016, 11:12 PM 

Agree re the ECB. They are def. not devious, as they have not enough brains between them to plan something. Clueless yes, and completely oblivious to the demands of the CC. I doubt that they even know that CC matches are taken place in the next three weeks. Completely blind and could not care a toss about CC.

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

September 5 2016, 11:21 PM 

But Stu, who?

Do you really feel Bayliss, Farbs & Otis do not know the Championship is on?

I'm not looking for trouble.

But, apart from "the ECB", I genuinely do not know which individuals are being blamed.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 5 2016, 11:26 PM 

I want Yorkshire to win the championship as much as anyone and am furious about this latest decision for that reason, but the bigger issue is the future of the county championship and county cricket in general. The ECB are chipping, chipping away.

Starting to think a split in the game would be for the best. Let the ECB have their circus in the test grounds, behind a Sky Sports paywall. Re-form the test ground counties as new limited companies, with new smaller grounds (some developing existing leading club grounds rather than starting from scratch). The 18 counties could all slim down (getting rid of unnecessary costs) and pay their way through free-to-air 20/20 and 50 over competitions. Two division county championship, of course, as well. Surely better than a slow and undignified death that Clarke, Graves and Harrison have in store for them.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 5 2016, 11:42 PM 

Root is inevitable, and to be honest sensible.
Bairstow is disappointing but not totally unexpected.
They can f off if they want to take Rashid and Plunkett though.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 6 2016, 7:45 AM 

But JB is first choice test keeper and four day cricket the best match for that. Butler is first choice in one day stuff and will be in the winter.

Bairstow played the last two one daysrs and not the whole series. He is fully fit, energetic and needs to practice his keeping surely?

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

bairstow

September 6 2016, 9:08 AM 

we were never going to get root and the only thing we are missing from jb is the runs because andy hodd is a far better wicket keeper than jb .

Howden73
(Login howden73)

Re: bairstow

September 6 2016, 9:25 AM 

Bairstow - not centrally contracted - not allowed to play (presumably because he will get central contract)

Stokes and Wood - both centrally contracted - might well be allowed to play in Durham's final two games.

There is nothing fair about that. With all their injuries, it's Stokes and Wood who need wrapping up in cotton wool.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

September 6 2016, 9:30 AM 

It's just the inconsistency that winds people up really.

I do think central contracts should be announced in the spring rather than in October, so we have a more up to date list for the home season, i.e. Bairstow was not the England keeper this time last year, but he was going into this season. If contracts were announced in April he would have received one.

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

September 6 2016, 11:22 AM 

Look, I've still got my tinhat on. I find this Central Contract, who is, who isn't stuff to be Red Herring.

It's just Bayliss, Farbrace & Gibson doing what they think is best for the players in the England team/squad/set up.

They're not trying to support one County at the expense of another.

They're not looking to ensure an establishment Southern County wins the title.

They're not running a quota system.

In my opinion.....

But, I'm a solutions guy.....

I interpret a lot of what my WRF Brothers & Sisters are saying as....

The needs of the England team, who needs a game, who needs a rest etc should be better balanced against the needs of Counties and ensuring a high quality County Championship.

That requires a strategy directive to the England coaching staff & a seat at the table for someone charged with that objective.

I think it's that sort of thing that's required. Under the current situation, I don't blame Bayliss, Farbs & Gibson.

Phil
twitter @ball_sup
Blog Address
http://www.ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 6 2016, 12:50 PM 

Phil is right. Bayliss, Farbrace and Gibson are clearly extremely competent; this is borne out by England's recent results. Strauss is nobody's fool; he appointed Bayliss and Farbrace and put the KP issue to bed very decisively. So who does that leave? Graves and Harrison? They leave the cricketing matters to Strauss and the coaches/selectors. The army of "faceless blazers" simply no longer exists. Graves and Harrison will be judged on how the structure of the English game is changed for better or worse over the next few years. There is no anti-Yorkshire conspiracy! We just have more England players than anyone else so have become victims of our own success. Having said that, three championships in a row looks more likely by the week, fingers crossed.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 6 2016, 1:14 PM 

I think the issue is the inconsistency of applying their discretion.

Bowlers tend to get wrapped in cotton wool and Anderson and Broad have had niggle so get told to rest. Root deserves a breather although they could have rested him from the odis but he puts bums on seats. Likewise Moeen and Woakes perhaps.

Cook Vince Ballance are test only players and all back with counties.

Finn back with Middlesex already. So why the delay in other player availability?

JB is the odd one though. Just bonkers. As if they don't want his keeping to improve

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 6 2016, 3:31 PM 

Anderson did not even know he was injured until some routine scan showed a "minor" stress fracture in his shoulder.

We were told that "this sort of fracture" was "quite common" in fast bowlers of Anderson's age (33/34?).

If all these bowlers were wrapped up in cotton wool every time they had a scan. they would never get on the pitch.

Anderson pays great store to records and I would wager he would not let this "minor injury" keep him out of a game against Bangladesh. Apparently, he was furious when he was "made to" miss the first Test against Pakistan.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 6 2016, 7:45 PM 

To add to the inconsistencies. Woakes has played far more cricket recently than JB (all of the ODI`s, while JB has only played in two), is a bowler, who supposedly needs more rest, but is allowed to play for Warwickshire in the CC. Since 15/8, JB has played in only four 1 day matches, 2 for us and 2 for England.

The easiest thing to do is either let all the England guys play, or let none of them play. Then and only then, do we have a level paying field.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 6 2016, 8:01 PM 

I think it would be the easiest way, but it wouldn't be very sensible. Each player needs to be looked at in turn as what's best for them not a one size fits all policy.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 6 2016, 8:56 PM 

Well If it's none of them or all of them then it only takes one player to need a rest and then everyone has to be treated the same way. More daft than the current randomness with no,logic or consistency.

I suggest Johnny grows his beard back, dyes his hair, changes his bat sponsor and pretends he's called Hodd.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 6 2016, 10:02 PM 

I asked Giles Clarke and Colin Graves why Bairstow was left out, and Colin Graves kindly rang me back to explain.
They do look at it on a man-by-man basis. And they take as much account of the intensity of what is coming up as they do of how much cricket a player has played. He implied that Jonny is likely to have a solid schedule between early October and Christmas, in Bangladesh and India. At least they need him to be ready for that.
He also said who is involved in deciding, and I'm afraid I don't the recall the (short) list of names. But Andrew Strauss' name came up twice in the conversation; which suggested that he has the most weight in the decisions.
Mr Graves assured me that there is no anti-Yorkshire or anti-anybody-else bias in the process. I hadn't asked, nor implied that there might be, but I guess he made a presumption about what a Yorkshireman who is inquiring would be likely to think.

happy.gif Now somebody is going to ask if I remember who Andrew Strauss played for, aren't they?

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

September 7 2016, 3:55 AM 

Rashid is the most crucial player for us in IMO I'd be amazed if he's not available for the last two

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 7 2016, 7:58 AM 

Wonder if the men in suits (including Middlesex's Strauss) actually ask the players of their preferences? Johnny Bairstow is not England's first choice ODI keeper and will probably be on drinks duty at start of Winter tours. How does he get match practice?

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Sep 7, 2016 7:59 AM

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 7 2016, 9:19 AM 

I am sure Strauss would be happy to see Middlesex win the title this year.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 7 2016, 9:28 AM 

You wonder if Graves does too!

We find a formula that wins titles for us and he seems to want to change it with new structure in terms of teams days conditions.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk