<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Yorkshire Board

September 5 2016 at 7:10 PM
Old Feller  (Login Old_Feller2)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37276586

These "appointments" welcome &/or overdue as they may be can only recommendations to be ratified at the AGM?

https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/5106/yccc-add-two-new-board-members

The club's announcement.

This message has been edited by Old_Feller2 on Sep 5, 2016 7:12 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Yorkshire Board

September 5 2016, 7:22 PM 

This was cited as one of he reasons to reject GB`s nomination last year, in that we have to have a female and an asian on the board. Political correctness gone mad!! They have not been proposed on their merits or otherwise, but just to appease the pc fans.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 5 2016, 7:48 PM 

Why are these appointments considered an example of political correctness? Surely, political correctness is white, middle-aged males continually insisting on appointing other (often deeply mediocre) white, middle-aged males to board positions.

And, if we are talking about appointing on merit, at least the two people appointed today didn't single handedly almost destroy the club in the 1980s.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 5 2016, 7:59 PM 

I think we've had this debate before. Political Correctness is a term used by our right wing press to disparage and ridicule any attempt to promote fairness and equality. I don't know the credentials of the new members, but I'm sure they must have the skills the chairman is looking for. I'm in the "anyone but Boycott" camp so I'll leave it at that.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 5 2016, 7:59 PM 

Don't know the individuals concerned, but they sound like good, forward-looking appointments to me.

Linked with the redevelopment of Park Avenue, perhaps? Promoting women's cricket, and developing youth cricket from the British Asian community in Bradford?

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 5 2016, 8:11 PM 

Worrying that someone would think that women and Asians are incapable of getting board positions on merit and that any appointment of this sort is purely a PR issue. Deeply concerning people still hold these views.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 5 2016, 8:21 PM 

Many people are sceptical about who gets elected and who doesn't, this news hasn't changed anything.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 5 2016, 8:22 PM 

It's not about political correctness. It's about more modern thinking for the current millennium and it may be more about diversity and inclusion.

The club as a whole is more than just the first men's team and the club needs to broaden its thinking to create new revenue opportunities and develop, grow and thrive.

I'm pleased both are legitimate club members and pleased they seem to have a passion for Yorkshire cricket which may be trickier for some other board members to be able to say with their roots elsewhere!

It's about time the club realised it cannot be run be ex players with no business acumen. I think this was something that began under the Regan and Graves era when we purchased the ground and built the new pavilion.

Please don't use this as a thread to rake up ignorant comments about the 70s and 80s. Those involved have moved on, made up and bat for the same side off the pitch now. There was more than just one man to blame for the civil unrest of the 70s and 80s and the lack of proper leadership and management from the board at the time was as much to blame as some players involved.

It's disappointing the BBC use a picture of Boycott to accompany an article that should be about the appointment of two others who sadly don't get a picture shown where we can see them proudly wearing the Yorkshire rose.

I hope they have the required expertise in finance and construction that Mr Denison stated as a requirement. Based on their brief cvs from the articles they seem to have some of those skills needed.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

September 5 2016, 8:41 PM 

Agree with every word of that.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

September 5 2016, 8:43 PM 

Even if this was some form of political correctness, for once I would welcome it.

Many good woman follow our County so good to see a woman representing in the board.

It also infuriated me how many Yorkshire Asian men go so overboard with their love for their respective heritage when for integration of nothing else they should support their home County or Country.

An Asian in the board is a step in the right direction.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 5 2016, 9:24 PM 

An Asian on the board is certainly a step in the right direction - after all, we've got two on our team! - but not if he/she is appointed simply to fulfil a quota, or to give an impression of multiculturalism.

It is this latter attitude that is 'political correctness', and it annoys me. It is the first time I've ever been accused of being right wing, I think.

The Board should reflect the diversity of our support, which goes well beyond sex (sorry, 'gender') and race. There's much diversity within traditional white Yorkshire: Leeds, Harrogate, York, Scarborough, Hull, Barnsley, Settle and all the hundreds of villages where cricket is still played. Town and country, the great class divide (of which race is now a part) - it would be good to have the whole County represented.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 5 2016, 11:05 PM 

Please do not shoot the messenger. I am not against or for the appointments. We were all told at the the last AGM that the main reason the Board gave for not wishing to appoint GB was the need for diversity on the Board. It was being imposed upon them, that they had to have an asian and a female on the Board, and electing GB would not have given them scope to achieve that. Just passing the message on as stated by the Board. It will be clear to see on the minutes of the meeting.

If they are the best of the proposed candidates when the election is due (there may be more), they will get my vote. If they are being appointed just to fulfil a quota and there are better candidates, they will not get my vote. I will vote for whoever is going to be the best for the club. The Board should not be dictated to by quotas or multiculturalism. We should always appoint the best candidates, and if they happen to be all white male, then so be it, as long as they ARE the best.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 5 2016, 11:44 PM 

Hmm, mere messengers don't usually shout 'political correctness gone mad' when they neutrally deliver their messages.

I don't intend getting into a long discussion about this, because it is just too stupid for words. What you have written Stu is just embarrassing, but by all means keep digging.

Well done to the club for this long overdue action and all the best to the two new appointees.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 6 2016, 7:20 AM 

In your opinion its embarrassing.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 6 2016, 8:10 AM 

ECT --- You think my remarks are embarrasing. They are not, it is an opinion, that is different to yours. I respect your views, please respect mine!!

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 6 2016, 8:23 AM 

I think the appointments are excellent and frankly long overdue.
I'll be very happy to support them at the AGM.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 6 2016, 8:45 AM 

So will I, if they are the best two candidates for election (or the only 2).

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

September 6 2016, 9:15 AM 

I will vote for new Board Members based on policies. They need to be;

1. Against taking on any more debt. Given that we can't service the existing debt.
2. Against the Graves Trust veto.
3. Against a financial strategy that needs some houses to be built on a park somewhere near Leeds.
4. For fewer International matches.
5. For a 2 Divisions of 9 Counties playing 16 games Championship structure.
6. For an 18 County T20 competition (& not a smaller City Franchise competition).

As the new Board Members have been appointed/nominated by the existing Board. I would be extremely surprised if they meet those criteria.

It's looking like a No from me.

Phil
twitter @ball_sup
Blog Address
http://www.ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 6 2016, 9:23 AM 

Perhaps you should stand for election Phil as your manifesto would suit the majority on the WRF

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk