<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Howden73
(Login howden73)

Re: TE: Richardson gone off injured

September 6 2016, 5:35 PM 

Collingwood bowling now after being stand-in keeper but that's another 4 byes (21 so far). Who is keeping now?

WS5
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 6 2016, 5:37 PM 

Ball first over has 2 in 2 for Notts, Middx 0 for 2 off 4 balls.
Echoing Siddy
(But as we know, you don't necessarily beat Middx from that position)

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 6 2016, 5:38 PM 

Young Jake having a ball against Middlesex

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 6 2016, 5:41 PM 

make that a first over hattrick!

Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

Well that's a very useful start from Ball against Middlesex! Cheers Jake

Papag
(Login Papag1)

Hat trick for Ball happy.gif

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 6 2016, 5:57 PM 

Clearly Colly is bowling at one end and keeping wicket at the other and hence the byes as there is no one behind the stumps when he bowls.

Is he opening the batting, driving the bus and doing the post match interviews?

Well done Alex Lees and good support from Lehmann who is getting into the habit of nice 50s and getting out.

WS5
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 6 2016, 6:09 PM 

... habit of nice 50s then getting out ...

Nice 50s just when we need them, then getting out ...

Just like Jonny Bairstow in his first two seasons. Remember that? Couldn't get to 100 for love nor money ...

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 6 2016, 6:33 PM 

An excellent first day for the tykes.

And with middx losing 3 wickets in the first that was the icing on the cake.

But it is only the first day, tomorrow is another day.

Now I know I will probably be flamed to death (whats new), but we really must make every effort to get maximum bonus points in this match now.

I would much rather be 420 all out with 5 points than 500-8 with only 4. If we end up 380 all out trying to get that extra point sobeit. I am not asking the team to go mad and bat like t20, just 4 and a bit an over, thats 2 singles, and the odd boundary every other over.

This is important for 2 reasons.

1. We do not want to go to Lords needing to win to take the title, if the game was now, thats exactly what we need to do, but if we can just pick up 3 or 4 bonus points on middx then a draw may well be enough. Middx could easily beat notts and lancs and it would not be enough for us to match them with 2 wins at hq.

2. It will send a huge signal to trent bridge, middx will feel it necessary to chase bonus points themselves and then may well end up conceding a first innings lead, and could end up losing.

So come on lads, 385-5 in 110 overs just is not good enough, not from our current position. Of course i would have taken that at the start of the day, but we need to drive home our advantage here.

This message has been edited by Blackpooltyke on Sep 6, 2016 6:34 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 6 2016, 6:38 PM 

Yes, very consistent from Lehmann: he has now made between 35 and 60 on all but one of the 6 times he has batted for us (the one exception being 5 in the first innings against Notts)- usually at a very good rate too. He's our overseas player but he's also very inexperienced, having only played 10 Sheffield Shield games prior to joining Yorkshire, so I guess this habit is not too surprising. I do indeed remember Bairstow going through something similar- hopefully Lehmann will also turn his maiden Yorkshire century into a double when it comes!

Good day for us anyway, to state the obvious. I think this is one of the rare occasions when it does make sense to go chasing the final bonus point with the gap to Middlesex being so small- 59 in 14 overs should be achievable.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 6 2016, 7:47 PM 

I was just wondering that, JG, about chasing the 5th bonus point. It does make sense but it is not the way YCCC have played it in winning two titles. It will make for interesting watching tomorrow morning. Don't be surprised if we just bat, and don't try to force anything that's not there.

Good performance by our lads today. We stayed positive despite the early loss of Lyth, rode our luck a bit, ran well and looked as though the batsmen were having fun.

Excellent from Alex and Gary. Skipper started very positively, with rasping fours, then slowed down, then dragged one on most unluckily. It seemed to be way down leg side, but somehow got dragged on off the pad and, I think, a bit of bat as well.

Jake was good. Usual free off-side strokes, then they slowed him by bowling round the wicket and cramping his strokes, but he came through that to bat well again.

Hodd enlivened the evening with some glorious timing, both sides of wicket. Perhaps this was not a big enough crisis for Brezzy to thrive in?

I hope we can get 400 inside the 110 overs, then go on to 450. Pitch looks pretty good, but we have four accomplished seam bowlers to their two, and perhaps we can exploit that (perceived) advantage.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 6 2016, 8:07 PM 

By their team selection it appears as if they are going for the draw. The extra batsman plays for the 4th seamer and they have also left Poynter out and got Richardson to keep wicket. Colly at 7 and Pringle at 8 makes them a lot stronger batting wise than normally.

We will see tomorrow when they bat, but they could take some weedling out. We need as many as possible, 450/500 if we can.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 6 2016, 8:29 PM 

the durham reserve keeper (poynter) is ill.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 6 2016, 8:59 PM 

I went today & boy was it warm & muggy.
Re the byes, few of them were the keepers' fault - wide balls down the leg side swinging even wider, very nearly wides I'd have said but 4 byes anyway.
I was very disappointed in the Durham attack, Rushworth - normally so admirably accurate - bowled generally too short.
Lees batted really well with hardly any errors until he hit one of the worst balls bowled all day, a looping full toss from the off-spinner Pringle straight back to him.
Such a pity since he looked set for many more runs.
Ballance looked in good form but I cannot comment on his dismissal since I mistakenly thought it was safe to go to the loo & then to buy an ice cream! Not in the same place I hasten to add.
Today was the first time I've watched Lehmann & he looks a very busy & positive batsman.
He was out to an excellent low catch in the gully by Pringle off McCarthy.
As DM said Gale was unlucky to be out & he'd looked very positive too, if not a little harum scarum.
Bresnan is a reassuringly resolute batter these days eschewing risks, picking the right ball to score off.
Hodd was excellent, playing a number of very pleasing, crisp drives & easily outscoring Bresnan.
Having been put in & losing an early wicket, 341 - 5 is an excellent outcome for the day.
Tomorrow, unless Durham's bowlers improve then we will get at least 4 & should aim for 5 batting points with a total of at least 450 well within our reach.
The wicket looked very green this morning but did not appear to behave too badly. As ever the trick at Headingley is not to bowl short since there's no real pace in the pitch.
All in all with scores as they are elsewhere a very good day for Yorkshire.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 6 2016, 9:43 PM 

Thanks for the reports. Pleased to hear Hodd was striking it well -- had wondered if the slew of fours were edges off a moving new(-ish) ball, and very good to hear they were not.
Can't be there tomorrow, but driving north on Thursday and looking forward to Day 3 ... and 4?

(Login Roundhegian)

September 6 2016, 11:11 PM 

The luck was very much running Yorkshire's way today.
Numerous edges over the top of slips and through gaps in the slip cordon though not all at catchable height. Several confident lbw appeals and a run out all turned down. In my opinion we could have been all out 250.
Let's hope normality is resumed when Durham bat.
Lees and Lyth have had three 100 partnerships this season so far. Somerset away, Durham away in the rather meaningless second innings, and the notorious 188 unbroken against Lancs away.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 6 2016, 11:15 PM 

Fair enough, two of those three were basically meaningless though.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk