<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Durham at Leeds (Day 2)

September 7 2016, 3:32 PM 

Yeah with a result probable in that match, Middlesex aren't particular far behind in the contest. Would be big pressure chasing though if it is an all or nothing scenario. Whereas if we can't force a result, we have the draw to fall back on.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 7 2016, 3:53 PM 

Just noticed that overs remaining at Trent Bridge are significantly fewer than at Headingley. Hope we are not at risk of losing points for slow over rate which would be really careless. Middlesex are rallying and seem likely get some batting points now.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 7 2016, 4:33 PM 

Looks like Durham are building a big total with ease as well

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 7 2016, 4:36 PM 

Borthwick passing his interview test with us?

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 7 2016, 4:38 PM 

As I think someone said, it would probably have been better if we had been bowled out for 320ish last evening, had a few overs at their openers before close and then 10.30 start for our bowlers to use most favourable conditions. Long time to next new ball. If we do not get some wickets tonight, we will have 10 overs with an old ball tomorrow morning, which is not the ideal scenario. The situation which has developed today is making Middlesex win look quite likely whereas we could struggle to win our game. Here's hoping for a good last hour is so ......

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Sep 7, 2016 5:30 PM

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 7 2016, 4:44 PM 

I still think there is a very long way to go in this game. 154/3 now, still 300 behind. After what appears to have been a slack start, our bowlers have plugged away very effectively- look at the Durham run rate for the innings. They aren't getting away from us.

Middlesex now 8 down

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 7 2016, 4:45 PM 

No, it would have been better had we taken our chances, 2 drops in the slips today, had we taken them it would be a totally different picture.

In what possible world is it better to be bowled out for 320 rather than 460?

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 7 2016, 4:50 PM 

yes our game not moving as quick as the other two but we are still in a good position

If we'd been bowled out for 320 we would have lost a bonus point & could have faced a first innings deficit not sure that would have helped us much

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 7 2016, 5:16 PM 

I was there until just after 3 when I left frustrated at the amount of playing & missing by Jennings & Borthwick.
I was also far too hot & uncomfortable.
The moment I left Jennings finally contrived to edge one behind that was taken by Hodd.
Bloody typical.
Jennings led a charmed life interspersed with the odd good off-drive. He was very badly missed by Lehmann off Sidebottom before he'd scored. How the tenor of the game may have changed with them 7-1!
Borthwick was even worse than Jennings hardly laying bat on ball for his first 20 minutes or so at the crease.
Stoneman as usual when I'm watching got them off to an absolute flier until he was superbly caught by Lyth. I hope young Lehmann took note.
Incidentally, Lehmann was fielding at third slip, the position usually occupied by Bresnan who was instead at first slip with Lees in the gully. I don't know the reason for this change in the close catching personnel but it may need revisiting. Lehmann looks more mobile than Lees & gully has to do more chasing than third slip.
Re the bonus point, Onions & Rushworth bowled I felt much better this morning & to get as close as we did to a 5th batting point was an achievement & we denied Durham their full bowling bonus points.
As has been said though, we missed the chance last night when Bresnan in particular played very circumspectly, a role that Hodd assumed after Bresnan's dismissl this morning.
Rafiq's return has become a real bonus, he's such a sparky character with the bat, in the field & with ball in hand.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 7 2016, 5:23 PM 

Well things are looking up, with Middlesex falling short of second batting point and Bresnan removing the obdurate Collingwood. You could be correct Fozzie but I think we may have taken more top order Durham batsmen in bowler friendly conditions but we will never know. Certainly the extra bonus point (should have been two) could be useful in the final reckoning for the CC title.

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Sep 7, 2016 5:29 PM

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 7 2016, 5:29 PM 

Thanks for that report Old Feller. Gives a much-appreciated flavour. Sorry you've missed a wicket (or two ...).

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

lees

September 7 2016, 6:12 PM 

cannot understand why lees wasn't at slip and jake Lehmann was haveing dropped two catches .

Papag
(Login Papag1)

September 7 2016, 6:14 PM 

Couple of quite easy slip chances spilled and Borthwick had more jam than Robertson's adding up to an even day, we need to take early wickets in the morning with cloud forecast and a 10.30 start this should help us, the wicket is playing quite well 320/40 would be par , still hopeful happy.gif

Phil
(Login PB123)

September 7 2016, 6:21 PM 

Thanks for the report Old Fellor looking forward to going to Headingley tomorrow though I feel Durham aren't going to be easy to break down.

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 7 2016, 7:48 PM 

Looks like Gale will need to time another declaration right.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 7 2016, 8:41 PM 

Attended today.Durham bowled well to stop us getting the extra batting point although Rafiq and Hodd did their best ubtil Hodd was out and Patto faced a difficult 110th over from Onions.The bowling then got easier and we threw the bat a little more, hence the accelaration which some thought might have been prompted by the chance of a pre lunch declaration but, to me, was due to the bowling being easier.

Lehmann at 3rd slip missed a routine slip chance of Siddy which might have come at him a bit quicker and higher than anticipated but it was still a relatively simple chance. Good balls were interspersed with poor, short, wide bowling which got what it was deserved and Durham were 90 odd for 1 off 19 with Lyth taking a magnificent catch, high above his head.to remove Stoneman.

We then exerted a good degree of control with the next 41 overs producing 77 runs for 3 wickets (Burnham took 112 minutes to score 16 and Colly just looked to block, denied any legside balls to capitalse on) during which time Hodd looked to have taken a good, low catch but quickly let it be known it had not cariied. Lehmann missed another, higher, more difficult chance which Lyth nearly got to on the rebound.Throughout this period Durham played and missed more times than I can recall seeeing in any single session of cricket.

Ground fielding, tenacity and enthusiasm was excellent, let down by mainly Lehmann's catching. We created many more chances than their bowlers did but the luck was with them to a degree and we have a lot to do in the morning.

(Login dpressed)

September 7 2016, 8:58 PM 

Unlike some who spent all day moaning. I attended yesterday & today. Firstly after spending the season saving our bacon Bresnan has lost his batting timing. So this morning when Rushworth was seaming it all over he couldn't get the ball away. Rafiq did much better. Sadly Hodd threw his wicket away trying to hit ouy at the end of the 109th over. Even more sadly Hodd & Rafiq crossed Azeem forgetting it was the last ball of the over. Onions then bowled the perfect maiden to new batsman Patterson, most of us thought the Rafiq wouldn' have fared much better as it was so good. Personally I'd have preferred Hodd to stay in & gets to 500. After the 110 overs were up Patto was soon out, Rafiq went on the attack, as did Brooks.

460 looked good. It looked even better when Ryan got Jennings to edge a regulation catch to Lehmann at 3rd slip. Sadly it went in & out. Brooks had one of his bad spells and the Durham innings got off to a rapid start. Lyth took a stunner off Brooks to dismiss Stoneman. Patterson's first over went for 14, Gale resisted the cry to get him off, Steve's next 10 overs went for 12!!! Things got worse when Hodd took a low one but then spilled it, again Jackson was the lucky recipient. Thankfully he hadn't added to the score when Patto again got the edge & Hood took it cleanly. There was a 3,rd miss when Lehmann couldn't hang on to a high one & Lyth couldn't get to the ball when it ballooned up, Burnham being the lucky recipient. There was a lot of playing & missing. Patto did this 3 times in an over to Borthwick who then guided a slightly wider one to Lyth. Colly guided one to the leg boundary only for the slips to go up, we then saw that the ball had removed the leg bail en-route. Burnham & Clark got Durham to the close

(Login jakesgrandad)

September 7 2016, 9:31 PM 

So many times the bat was beaten outside off stump, Jennings and Borthwick in particular.

Payers of their calibre rarely miss straight balls. I was sitting in NE Upper for the afternoon session and though the old eyesight is not as keen as it once was, on quite a few occasions I saw the ball deviate quite markedly.

Maybe more to this wicket than has been commented on?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 7 2016, 9:56 PM 

I feel we have to have them bowled out by no later than mid-afternoon, to force the win. Otherwise time will be on Durhams side, especially if they, by then, have avoided the follow on, as there would not be enough time for us to bat again, declare and bowl them out again. New ball due soon so we should have them following on by lunch.

The forecast has now changed from 4 days of sunshine, to showers tomorrow and rain on Friday morning!!

(Login dpressed)

September 7 2016, 10:34 PM 

JG is right about the ball moving. Rushworth got loads of swing & others have done, but it's not caused many edges that have gone to hand ..... One late in grubbed & went for 4 byes.

And I doubt we'd enforce he follow on Stu.

Ps The outfield has been 'slow'. A mate staying in the lodge says its soaking when they take the rope round before play

This message has been edited by dpressed on Sep 7, 2016 10:39 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk