<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

T20I | England v Pakistan, Old Trafford

September 7 2016 at 7:18 PM
JG  (Login _JG_)

Four of our lads playing: Root, Plunkett, Willey, Rashid.

For those questioning Joe Root's commitment to Yorkshire after his innings in the T20 SF: he played just as frenetic and ill-conceived innings for England tonight...

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: T20I | England v Pakistan, Old Trafford

September 7 2016, 9:16 PM 

So the team thats just walloped pakistan in the odi series, including a world record score of 444, get walloped by the same side who cannot even get ahead of bangladesh in the odi rankings....and the game has nothing to do with luck......yeah right

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 8 2016, 7:27 AM 

The ECB can use it as evidence the players are tired and need rest.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

Tyke1950

September 8 2016, 7:44 AM 

How gratifying that this thread has attracted so few postings.
I suppose it's good to see 20,000 people at a game in Manchester, but it has no grander relevance than a financial one. The fourteen or so players involved would have been more constructively employed helping their County teams and by so doing, adding lustre to the Championship.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: Tyke1950

September 8 2016, 8:01 PM 

yes, except the 40 overs of cricket in one evening would have generated more income than all the county games put together for the entire week.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 8 2016, 8:20 PM 

Why is it always about bloody money?!

What happened to quality, pleasure, fun and enjoyment?

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 8 2016, 9:17 PM 

because it is a professional sport, and the players and teams will naturally favour playing the entertainment that there customers want to see, and that i am afraid is t20.

What we need to do, is make the championship more attractive.

There are ways to do that, but its not happening.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 8 2016, 9:25 PM 

Had you not decided that, because Yorkshire don't take heed of your postings and act in accordance with your wishes, to attend today, you could have witnessed a magnificent day of attractive, entertaining, skilful, committed, hard fought championship cricket that was better than any one day of T20 I have seen.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 9 2016, 7:06 PM 

yes, you are right.

GMWhite
(Login GMWhite)

September 11 2016, 10:00 AM 

A totally money making exercise. The crowd must have been 70:30 Pakistanis I don't think it would hve sold
out if not. I was in the family stand and was surrounded by groups of adult Pakistani males without a kid in sight. A point
Es 1 off t20 game - England should have rested all the 50 over players - Roy, Hales, Root, Butler etc and played 11 players who for them would have been a game to really impress - Duckett etc. A good atmosphere but a waste of money!

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 11 2016, 10:48 AM 

And one which like so much else demonstrates the short term outlook of the authorities. Yes it made money, but the players will be completely aware of the limited purpose of the match. And so a little more cynicism creeps into the game at its highest levels. And we know where that has led in recent years.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 11 2016, 11:04 AM 

but making money is what professional sport is all about.

If it does not make money then it could not continue as a professional sport.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 11 2016, 11:13 AM 

Yes Peter, of course it's about making money, but some of us feel that's not all that it's about. And in any case making money today by cheapening the quality of the product (if we must see it in that way) for the future makes no business sense. If someone who follows the game like me had forgotten the game was even taking place, they're getting something wrong.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 11 2016, 12:49 PM 

it is not all about making money. the county game is the supply chain of players to the test team. and the tests in england are the real moneyspinner. you can afford to not have championship games to full stadiums as long as the quality is being produced. anyway yorkshires crowds are excellent and we subsidise other counties with our large away following.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 11 2016, 12:53 PM 

I too am saddened at the impending demise of county cricket, but if we are to fight back then we need to know what we are up against.

You call it cheapening the quality of the product, but the ecb calls it bringing the game to the masses and increasing its popularity. Like it or not that is what any form of t20 is doing.

You may have forgotten about the game, and yet it was still a sell out....why?

You clearly did not forget about the durham game, but that was not a sell out...why not?

If we want the cricketing governing bodies to respect county cricket then we need to make it more appealing to more people....now how to do that? certainly not by shaking hands at 4.50 or refusing to set or chase run chases.

Yorkshire,being the leading county needs to take the lead in this....batting all day at 2 an over without losing any wickets is not what is required.

(Login dpressed)

September 11 2016, 2:10 PM 

As I've said before sport is about winning & losing. It appears our Blackpool correspondant would rather Yorkshire lose so they can entertain the opposition followers rather than winning and pleasing the larger number of Yorkshire followers.

And please please please stop going on about 4:59 finished. It's only a problem in your mind

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 11 2016, 2:30 PM 

The AIM is to play cricket.

To do that you NEED money.

But if you stop playing cricket in order to make that money...then you have lost the plot. It's not surprising, when rich men are entrusted with the running. Yes, they will make money, because that is what they do. It is a valuable skill. Unfortunately, that is ALL they understand, Clarke and Graves and their kind.

I had a friend, George, who was a decent amateur painter. He used to do commissions for friends and neighbours, portraits and landscapes, charge them £30 or so, which covered the cost of materials, plus a little. One neighbour asked him to do a portrait of his dog. How much for that?

£10,000, said George.

Why? Because I don't want to paint your bloody dog!

We could do with George running the ECB.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk