<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Borthwick

September 7 2016 at 9:16 PM

Guest  (Login dpressed)

We've had Durham followers sat round us for the last 2 days. They are adamant that Borthwick will NOT be signing for Yorkshire. The source was Borthwick's dad.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Borthwick

September 7 2016, 9:26 PM 

The Guardian report of todays play mentions Surrey IF he leaves. I was talking to an unnamed Durham official when we played there 2nds at York a few weeks ago, again Surrey was mentioned IF he leaves.

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 7 2016, 10:15 PM 

Does the salary cap apply to Surrey? - Footitt, Stoneman, Sangarkarra, Davies, and now possibly Borthwick.

I thought Borthwick wanted to develop his spin - but Batty, Ansari and a couple of others already there.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 7 2016, 11:32 PM 

I remember a rumour that Tony Cronshaw posted on here some years ago, he heard that Adam Lyth was leaving the club.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 8 2016, 7:01 AM 

Good. Don't want him.

Borthwick, I mean. Tony Cronshaw's fine. And Adam Lyth.

Don't want Duckett, either.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 8 2016, 7:25 AM 

If he could bat right handed then it might be different but a potential top 6 of Lyth Lees Borthwick Ballance Gale Lehmann would be all left handed and I think it's better to mix it up a bit

(Login Jacobus24)

September 8 2016, 7:29 AM 

Without Jack Brooks we wouldn't have won our 2 Championship titles, this must be hard for you to accept.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

Tyke1950

September 8 2016, 7:40 AM 

You're right Third Umpire.
One of the many reasons we miss JB is that as a right hander, he helps add variety to the batting line up and prevents bowlers dropping into comfortable lines of attack.
Like Dave Morton, I'm not particularly bothered about either Borthwick or Duckett. In any event, I'm confident Duckett will be an England player before very long.

(Login Jacobus24)

Re: Tyke1950

September 8 2016, 7:51 AM 

Why does Gale get in our team when he doesn't seem capable of contributing runs on a regular basis, he also doesn't play one day cricket. This judgement shouldn't be a birth right.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 8 2016, 8:12 AM 

Because he's captain.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 8 2016, 8:27 AM 

I'd say its lack of strength in depth.

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

September 8 2016, 8:28 AM 

Hello Jacobus24

You might as well tell us what reaction you are after. Just so we don't miss out.

I'm happy to say that I prefer the Yorkshire team to maintain a predominantly Yorkshire identity. (Note predominantly, not Solely). Be that born & nurtured (eg Lyth), nurtured only (eg Leaning) or born only (eg Plunkett).

I have no problem with some non-Yorkshire-identity players playing in the team. You mentioned Brooks for example. We've got Brooks, Hodd, Ballance, Willey, Lehmann. They're unlikely to all play in the same team. But, I would not like to see the number of non-identity players creep above this 4/5 level.

And, in case you're wondering, yes, even at the expense of winning titles.

Hope that clarifies.

Phil
twitter @ball_sup
http://www.ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk

(Login Jacobus24)

September 8 2016, 8:35 AM 

I'd like more respect for one day cricket and less bias in general. Duckett would replace Hodd in my opinion. I have no problem with Andrew Gale as long as he scores his fair share of runs on a regular basis.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 8 2016, 8:37 AM 

I agree with Phil.
I'm happy as it is - but i want to see Coad and Fisher getting chances in the future.
I dont want us to sign Borthwick or Duckett.

This message has been edited by stevecowton on Sep 8, 2016 9:31 AM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 8 2016, 8:39 AM 

I would look at Duckett and not worry about the England factor. If he gets in the current side it will be for one day stuff and they can't just add him to the squad without omitting anyone. The openers look secure, Morgan is skipper and Root is the backbone so with Stokes being an all rounder then it's one of Bairstow or Buttler to make way. I think Buttler has the edge with one day selection despite his missed stumping ladt night that seems to have had little publicity whereas Johnny would have been hunt from the nearest scaffolding.

So duckett would replace Bairstow in the squad who only gets a game when butler injured.

With Billings the blue eyed southern boy in the squad they won't need three back up stumpers

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 8 2016, 9:19 AM 

I'm okay with signing players from other counties if they can significantly improve the team. I don't think Borthwick can do this, but Duckett surely can.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 8 2016, 9:19 AM 

I'm okay with signing players from other counties if they can significantly improve the team. I don't think Borthwick can do this, but Duckett surely can.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 8 2016, 9:28 AM 

Would we want someone as two faced as Ben Duckett? He consistently says in the press that he is happy where he is, but then signs for Yorkshire!

I am joking of course, but he really doesn't seem to be planning to move clubs:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/1055139.html

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 8 2016, 9:30 AM 

I agree it seems to be a moot point. He doesn't seem interested in leaving and is still under contract.

(Login matthefish2002)

September 8 2016, 10:01 AM 

I was under the impression that Northants wanted Willey to leave last year to ease there financial problems so the same might apply to Duckett.
Also Duckett may have been advised that he might stand a better chance getting into the England side if he were playing for one of the bigger counties.

I predict he will leave Northants during the close season weather to Yorkshire or not is another matter. I am non-plused if it is to us and like others prefer us to have a strong Yorkshire identity in the team.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk