<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Tyke1950

September 8 2016, 10:18 AM 

This thread has switched from Borthwick to Duckett and I have tried to find some distant connection to Yorkshire that would appease some who still like Yorkshire born and bred dominance supported by others who were educated here, have family connections or once ate fish and chips in Peasholm Park.

Duckett has a bit of a chequered past with two tours missed due to failing fitness tests so perhaps more akin with Samit Patel. He also had a drink driving ban which is not the sort of thing you expect from someone educated at Stowe but this gives him a connection with Plunkett which provides some Yorkshire connection.

What is without doubt is he is one of the best talents with a bat although his runs in div 2 have been against trundlers like Stevens and co yesterday for Kent. But getting 200 out of 340 when at the crease with no sixes suggests some ability we would be daft to ignore with our misfiring top order and England absentees in all forms of cricket.

Bit of a modern day Oli Milburn perhaps which I am sure the Northants faithful will have spotted

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: Tyke1950

September 8 2016, 1:26 PM 

Jacobus is spot on about Brooks though. Going through the gears as this run in unfolds too.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

borthwick

September 8 2016, 5:19 PM 

been to all three days and I don't know were Borthwick could fit in the team no better than anything we have .

JG
(Login _JG_)

Re: borthwick

September 8 2016, 6:46 PM 

Borthwick I'm not fussed about, he wouldn't much help us in one-day cricket which is where we most need improvement, and I can't see any argument for a move to Yorkshire helping his development. I hope he stays at Durham.

Duckett is a different matter, he's an exceptional white ball batsman- probably already better than any of our current lot- and as his three Champions double centuries show clearly has a lot to offer in the longer form too. However his runs will always have the Div Two asterisk applied to them when talking of England selection, so move may aid his development as well as benefiting the club he moves to. IF he wants to move on, I'd definitely want Yorkshire to be interested.

P.S. those talking about wanting to give opportunities to youngsters, I totally agree, but can you name any young batsman coming through at the moment who has earned a first team chance? Bowlers/ all-rounders, yes, but I don't think there are any batsmen.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Sep 8, 2016 6:47 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 12 2016, 9:25 AM 

Borthwick off to Surrey according to social media today.

Wonder if it may signal Batty retirement too?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 12 2016, 9:35 AM 

You do wonder where this domestic batsman that we wish to sign is actually going to come from. We presumably want a banker - someone who will average 40+ most seasons and score a volume of runs. We don't want an England player or someone likely to be selected for England in the near future. I am scratching my head.

Overseas players is a different issue and there are options there, but the club specifically said that they were looking to sign a domestic player.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 12 2016, 9:55 AM 

Steven Davis from Surrey to us?

(Login dpressed)

September 12 2016, 7:08 PM 

The one I heard at Headingley was Wood from Durham to L*nc*shire

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 12 2016, 7:37 PM 

That wouldn't make much sense- Wood will be off Durham's wage bill soon as I'm sure he'll get a central contract, and I doubt he'll be available for much county cricket in the next few years.

Shame about Bortwick too, I feel sorry for Durham after the amount of home-grown cricketers they've produced in recent years. At least we only lose ours to England...

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk