<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Durham at Leeds (Day 3)

September 8 2016 at 2:36 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Sep 6-9, 2016 - at Headingley, Leeds

Yorkshire 460 Durham 205-4 (70 overs)
Stumps - Durham trail by 255 runs with 6 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Headingley Weather
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Durham at Leeds (Day 3)

September 8 2016, 5:48 AM 

As I have said before yorkshire are very good at winning games that they dominate.

But can we put this match in that category?

This mornings play will decide that for us.

I fear if Durham are still batting at lunch then the game will not fall in the dominated category and we would need to be proactive in trying to win. Sadly, this is not yorkshire's greatest suit.

With rain about tomorrow, we really need to get into a position to have durham batting again tonight.

Don't really think we have the nerve to bat quickly enough and declare with a lead of around 350 today.

Therefore I think the only way we can win this is to get durham following on. Will it happen?

We are very capable of bowling durham out under 360, but will we even bother to enforce the follow on?

Traditionally, we have been far too cautious and fearful of defeat to be able to give ourselves the best chance of winning these sort of matches. Perhaps if Notts are bowled out by tea, this might change...we shall see.

I was going to go today, but have changed my mind as I have no confidence in yorkshire being enterprising enough to keep the game alive. I hope I am wrong. Would love to say at 5.30, i wish i had been there.

Phil
(Login PB123)

September 8 2016, 6:46 AM 

Up bright and early to travel up to Headingley am looking forward to a good day's play. Come on Yorkshire.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 8 2016, 7:23 AM 

I think we have to have one eye on progress at Trent bridge to see how Middlesex are doing and then this may need to dictate how we bat, when we declare and how forceful we are in seeking a win.

Last season we won the title at a canter and never had to be that watchful of other results. This season we have a serious competitor and we have to be alert to their position. I won't buy any mantra from Gillespie and Gale that we can only control the controllable saw we have to be flexible and adapt. This is why winning this season will be different as it will have been a tougher challenge.

The Middlesex game is more advanced than ours so we should take a steer.

First task of course is irrelevant. We have to get Durham all out and preferably by mid afternoon at latest. Then see if we have follow on option but doubt we would enforce it. Then decide if we need to push for a win if Middlesex look to be winning.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 8 2016, 7:34 AM 

A band of rain passing through this morning, should clear about 12.30 fresher weather will be more pleasant.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 8 2016, 7:35 AM 

...and by lunchtime today we may need to keep a very wary eye indeed in Somerset.
The match next week may well prove to be as important as the one at Lords.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 8 2016, 8:32 AM 

Somerset should be losing some serious points for the pitch they have (not) prepared

raining in blackpool this morning

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 8 2016, 8:35 AM 

Funny game cricket.
I think this could be an interesting day. The chances that went begging yesterday will be taken today..
Durham all out by lunch.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 8 2016, 9:30 AM 

It is very overcast here. If the rain holds off (which it might??) then we could have the best of conditions for bowling and batting.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 8 2016, 9:58 AM 

With possibly dodgy weather around, I think we must get them out to be able to enforce follow on. With favourable conditions for our seamers, we could even win match today - but we must hold our catches and take care to put fielders in right slip positions! Here's hoping for full and successful day happy.gif

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 8 2016, 9:58 AM 

Peter, to save you the embarrassment of moaning if Yorkshire don't enforce if we restrict Durham to sub 360. The follow on target is 311.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 8 2016, 10:12 AM 

Yes of course, thanks for that.

My only defence is that it was posted before 6am which is before my brain properly wakes up happy.gif

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 8 2016, 10:25 AM 

A new dawn fades and I'm feeling pretty optimistic about retaining the title once again!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 8 2016, 10:37 AM 

Spinners opening presumably due to grey overhead and risk of going off for bad light

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 8 2016, 10:39 AM 

Well we are probably not looking at enforcing follow up by opening with spin at both ends sad.gif. They could be much nearer 311 after 10 more overs. We need early wickets ....Are we I danger of losing points for over rate?

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Sep 8, 2016 10:41 AM

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 8 2016, 10:41 AM 

Apparently Somerset will not be ducked points for using a worn wicket on which 38 wickets have fallen in 2 days & on which only one batsman has been able to make a 50 & he was dropped on 9 or so.
Incredible!
All down to bad batting, nothing to do with a bad pitch!

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 8 2016, 10:43 AM 

We were minus 1 at least mid-afternoon yesterday, but the light is probably a factor or more likely the fact that the new ball was due in 10 overs first thing.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 8 2016, 10:45 AM 

Alibor - we have spin at both ends because they'll be off for bad light if seamers bowl. Not Gale's fault this time 😉

Young Clogger
(Login YoungClogger)

September 8 2016, 10:45 AM 

I live 2 miles from the ground and it is dark and drizzling. It was raining at 10am. I'm amazed they are playing.

Oh, they aren't.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 8 2016, 10:58 AM 

Well we have monsoon conditions near Dundee 😟

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk