<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Time to compare

September 9 2016, 7:54 AM 

Yes the Binks comment was deliberately provocative to highlight his thinking over keepers has changed. Gone are the days when some keepers batted at 11 in the order. Was it Dolphin or Hunter who regularly did this for us?

I think illy at three may be stretching things and my recollection of him is probably soured somewhat by his return in the 80s.

I agree we will be talking of the current side in a similar way as we do the 60s team. The key difference is to ask how many of the star names now will have played over 50% of the CC matches in our title winning years and will we forget Root and Bairstow played infrequently whereas Fred Closey and co were almost ever presents?

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 9 2016, 8:31 AM 

The best opening bowling partnership I've seen in my 60 or so years of watching Yorkshire has to be Trueman & Nicholson.
Binks was the best wicketkeeper but Bairstow's batting just gets him the nod on today's blander pitches.
I agree with the comments about Hampshire, on form the best Yorkshire batsman to watch of his era. But you can't leave Boycott out.
Illingworth was the best spinner & arguably the best captain Yorkshire never had in his prime.
I've been blessed in having watched Yorks in the 60s, then to come back to regular watching in the past 8 years.
Both eras have been splendid in different ways.

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

September 9 2016, 9:24 AM 

It's funny we never hold these conversations about the team I first knew and loved back in the the early eighties.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 9 2016, 9:39 AM 

True CS.
I also enjoyed this flawed, frustrating but immensely lovable team.
I presume you're thinking of players like Phil Carrick, David Bairstow, Arnold Sidebottom, Jim Love, Graham Stevenson.
I was always thinking of jam tomorrow with this lot; next season will be the one; just one more player needed to complete the perfect team; if only people could stop quarrelling....
Too many of them are no longer with us. How proud they would have been to see the players of today achieve what they would have given their right arms to have enjoyed.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 9 2016, 10:22 AM 

I know, a lovely crew, but would any get in the side(s) selected above?

(Login Tyke1950)

September 9 2016, 10:23 AM 

Nope!

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 9 2016, 12:15 PM 

On second thoughts: Chris Old - possibly.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 9 2016, 12:19 PM 

Possibly, a useful third seamer. Would strengthen the tail considerably too.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 9 2016, 1:24 PM 

"Binks to keep for me but it would be a travesty to deprive Bairstow of a place in the side. I wish Dewsburian were still active on the site, so he could advocate for him with all his old eloquence."

It's always a pleasure to be mentioned in your despatches, Tyke1950. I've bumped into Spanishnick and Idle Man this year, among several others I knew already, so perhaps we two will also meet up at some point.
On the wicket-keeping question, I'd be a Binks man myself. He was just such a natural. They say he struggled to read Wardle in his early years, but that was before my time. Until I read Don Wilson's autobiography I wasn't aware that even Alan Knott thought Binks was the best keeper in the country, though I suppose Knotty would be too modest to name himself.
Jonny would, of course, get into the team for his batting, which, after a couple of stuttering seasons, eventually reached the heights I always expected, though it's Ted Dexter's words you should read on that, not mine -http://www.teddexter.com/blog/

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 9 2016, 2:38 PM 

Hard to judge the circa 1970-1990 teams as they played in a unique period when they were at a serious disadvantage - the peak years for overseas talent and we shunned it. We would probably have won quite a few trophies in that period if the teams had been supplemented by Greenidge/Marshall, Richards/Garner, Rice/Hadlee, etc. And success rather than failure (and training with world class players) may have made some of them better players.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 9 2016, 6:38 PM 

I hadn't really intended to say anything else than the above - in response to the comment by Tyke1950 which a friend alerted me to last night - but I've just looked at the match thread and one or two others and I have to say I sympathize deeply with the genuine supporters of cricket - and Yorkshire cricket in particular - over the current state of the forum.
But that's more than enough for me. Best wishes to everyone for the rest of the season. Hope perhaps to see some of you at Lord's.

Saltaire
(Login Saltaire)

Time to compare

September 9 2016, 7:59 PM 

I enjoy these comparisons of the teams of different eras. Yes, the circumstances were different - and no firm conclusions can be drawn - but it is good to be reminded of our heroes of yesterday.

As it happens, I introduced a thread (Bank Holiday Monday) comparing the present Yorkshire side with that of the mid-60s earlier in the season. This followed the second day of the Roses match at Headingley, which was the 50th anniversary of first being taken to see Yorkshire play (for the second day of the 1966 Roses match at Headingley).

My observations on the respective Yorkshire sides of 1966 and 2016 are in “Bank Holiday Monday”, which can be found (on 3rd June 2016) at www.anordinaryspectator.com/news-blog.

Apologies to those who have already accessed this.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 9 2016, 11:20 PM 

Thanks for posting that link, Dewsburian. You may not be willing to be a regular contributor on here again (and to an extent I don't blame you) but I appreciated that contribution.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 9 2016, 11:24 PM 

We'll miss you Dewsburian.
Come back soon.

(Login dpressed)

September 10 2016, 11:15 AM 

T1950 has made a brilliant point. Apart from 2001 we had decades of 'jam tomorrow' once x & y are established. The great thing about recent seasons is that the team have just got on with it.

The match at Scarborough is a prime example. After about 90 minutes we were 51-6. Not good, but whilst most Yorkshire teams I've seen would have been all out before lunch we somehow got past 280, bowled Notts out for under a 100 & won the match. Oh yes, this was also a team missing 5 members, 3 of whom would certainly have been playing.

Yes we moan. But I'm sure we'll look back at this team as one of the greats. I'm also sure that if you'd predicted this between 2003 & 2009 you'd have been laughed off the forum.

Just grazing
(Login Justgrazing)

September 11 2016, 7:48 PM 

Well. My thanks to everyone who has responded. When I tossed this pebble in the pond it was just a moment of musing over how good we are now and whether we have actually overtaken (at full strength) the heroes of the early sixties.

I suppose I'd better have my two pennorth. For what it's worth, I will always choose the best wicketkeeper, the quickest bowlers and two spinners and will always enforce the follow on. I have to also pick two outstandingly good medium pacers to hold the game. My attack would be Trueman, Nicholson, Sidebottom, Illingworth and Wilson with Binks keeping wicket. Don't believe everything you read. In most teams, Binks would probably have batted at 7 but in that Yorkshire side only Wilson & Nicholson kept him off being Jack.

Would any team survive the pace of Trueman, the guile of Nicholson and the left arm swing of Sidebottom followed by the relentless accuracy of off spinning Illingworth and the slow left arm (always Yorkshire's preference over leg spin) of Wilson. OK they did mainly operate on uncovered wickets but they could always outthink the opposition if they hadn't blown them away first.

The batting is something of a luxury with that attack but Boycott, Root and Bairstow are automatic picks for 1, 3 & 5 and I think Lyth just shades Sharp for his outstanding all round fielding, provided he has his batting head firmly screwed in place, and I would travel miles and pay the entry fee to see Jack Hampshire bat again and make quality seem so effortless.

Illingworth would be captain and bat at 6.

Probably the only team that would come close to them (including most international teams of the intervening years would be the team made up of the remaining players (though they could make a reasonable case for one of Jonny or Binksy to be in their midst).

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 12 2016, 7:17 AM 

Yes. A team of yorkshiremen to compete against your team would be the strongest opponents as I think you have left out Close and him plus any ten others would do well as Closey would have a point to prove to you!

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk