<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

Re: bonus points

September 9 2016, 4:52 PM 

Of course it was disappointing not to get the extra batting point but posting a screen shot of the last 2 overs from the Cricinfo page does not convey how events transpired. Neither do endless hypotheses of who should have done what and when. It is even more removed from reality when there is no account taken of the opposition, their tactics, their desire to stop the other team and the panoply of conditions prevailing.

I suppose, until someone produces cricket's equivalent of a computer generated football game, we will be subject to these pronouncements.

Throw enough darts and one will find it's target which you can refer back to to 'prove' your argument seems to be the tactic eemployed.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 9 2016, 4:52 PM 

The durham bowlers were bowling 2 yards wide and high of the stumps. If you could reach one ball an over you were lucky. The umpires were very lax letting them get away with negative bowling. You needed to be there peter to see it. The big mistake Hodd made was crossing when he was out,leaving Patto.to face the last over from Onions.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 9 2016, 4:58 PM 

So presumably Hodd could reach them and patto couldn't?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 9 2016, 4:59 PM 

Correct Marsker. Yorkshire did everything they possibly could to get the extra point. Negative fields, negative bowling, but Hodd and Rafiq crossing was the final blow to our hopes. Patto then had to face Onions, having just come in, and get 8 runs off the 110th over. Rafiq would have done it, but was not on strike, but totally unrealistic to expect Patto to do it.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 9 2016, 5:00 PM 

Only on this forum could we get a great win and still most posts are arguing about the batting point happy.gif Off home for the weekend, have a great one everybody

Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

September 9 2016, 5:03 PM 

I can't believe that after a fantastic win people are moaning about 1 missed point. Yes, it was frustrating, but if that game had happened at the beginning of the season, everyone would have forgotten about the one missed point by now. There are so many ifs and buts during a season and many more important than one missed batting point.

Hopefully we'll have Rashid for the last 2 games and that should further improve our already fantastic attack. Let's just focus on winning now and not on the odd missed point!

Come on Yorkshire (and Lancashire 😜)

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

winningest photo

September 9 2016, 5:14 PM 

I get home from watching another great victory, and guess what? People are whingeing about a bonus point!

Click on this and shout: "YES!!!!"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/29565465645/in/dateposted-public/

Also a silent thanks that we had Umpires Lloyd and Evans (R). With last week's pair, Cook and Cowley, there wouldn't have been much play today.

Alibor
(Login alibor11)

September 9 2016, 5:14 PM 

Well Peter on the issue of the lost bonus point I share your view but, in my opinion, the problem started the previous evening after Lehmann was out. After the 88th over we were 325-5 with 22 overs to get a further 75 runs. Surely that was the time to keep the run rate moving but we only scored one more boundary from the bat before the close. With bowlers fresh the following morning and 59 still required from 14 overs it was rather predictable that we would lose wickets in the quest for the 5th bonus point. We came up short after Bresnan departed (22 runs with one boundary from 70 balls) despite a valiant effort by Rafiq to get us a fifth point. Of course, this has happened before and it remains my opinion that we are a little complacent, on occasions.
This does not detract from the splendid performance of most batsmen and bowlers in achieving a fine victory. Enough from me (probably too much) so off to enjoy the weekend before business recommences next week - will be tough match.

This message has been edited by alibor11 on Sep 9, 2016 5:17 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 9 2016, 5:29 PM 

We have more batting points then anyone else and have picked up 81 bonus points to Middlesex`s 77.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 9 2016, 5:36 PM 

Still on bloody batting points? Get a grip. Superb victory this. Dominant performance, I think Middlesex are more likely to crack under the pressure than we are.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 9 2016, 5:40 PM 

thats pretty irrelevant.

What is relevant is that if we get to lords 1 point behind, we need to outplay them, if middlesex score 350 then we have to beat them, and that will not be easy.

Fortunately we have another game to try and improve our position.

Confident of a win next week, and lets hope we can score 2 more points than middlesex.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 9 2016, 5:59 PM 

I'm genuinely starting to think you're a wind up merchant, Peter. Nobody can be that pig headed or tedious on one subject without doing it deliberately.

(Login dpressed)

September 9 2016, 6:11 PM 

As usual Peter is moaning about a point instead of celebrating a win. When will people realise that he's just a wind up merchant.

Ps people have mentioned the previous evening. As I've said before the 'problem' is that after a season saving the batting Tim Bresnan appears to have lost his timing. This isn't a criticism just an observation. As a result he ended up the 1st day on 11. rather than 25-30. Anyone who uses this as a cry to drop Tim should be thrown off the forum.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 9 2016, 6:22 PM 

As usual members selectively read my posts.

did you miss the bit i said it was a fine win?

Or what about the bit where i said the game would be over by mid afternoon? posted before play started today?

Yep, i thought so, but you do not miss the bit when i stated we need to go to lords level or in front of them so that they cannot just play for a draw, to do that every point counts, and 11 dot balls when needing 8 does not cut it.

No, you got that bit, and immediately everyone takes it out of context and attacks me for it.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 9 2016, 6:38 PM 

If you are referring to my observation, you are sadly mistaken if you think I was suggesting Bresnan's exclusion from the team - he would be one of the first to appear on my team sheet for the next two matches. However, I think he should have been asked to try to step up the scoring on the first evening against tiring bowlers instead of "playing for stumps". Enough said, but please do not misconstrue my words - I am entitled to express my opinion as is everyone else on this excellent forum.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 9 2016, 6:41 PM 

well i understood you Alibor and actually agree with you, it wasn't the last 11 balls, but started the evening before.

stevebluejay
(Login stevebluejay)

September 9 2016, 6:56 PM 

Don't know why Peter gets so worked up about negative cricket, bonus points, weather etc when i am sure i read his comments after the Roses match at OT recently, that he hoped we wouldn't actually win the title after playing out for the draw and not going for the win!

Surely he would be delighted that we are still adrift of Middlesex if that is the case!

Mind you reading his posts, i don't know why Gale, Dizzy etc are still in charge as i'm sure he would do a far better job as captain, coach, director of cricket etc!

I do think Peter HAS to have the last word.

As i say though, forums are all about opinions, however Peter does seem to rather force his opinion over, than most others, still an entitlement though!

For the record, it is tongue in cheek, no need to get worked up!

Great win today, very ruthless 4 days cricket by the boys, bonus points will take care of themselves, two victories will bring the title home and i'm sure that Gale and company will be looking at all the permutations, before, during and after the Somerset match and i have total confidence in his leadership, at least a bit more than his run scoring!

Peter so often goes on about the weather, but in agreement, it may well play a part in the title destination as surely mid to late September in Leeds, London, Manchester etc there will be some inadvertent stoppages around. Also who can handle the pressure in the final few days?

I have to give credit to Middlesex though, we have hit a rich vein of red ball form of late and they have withstood what we have thrown at them to remain top, two very good sides battling it out, not to forget the part Somerset might play

This message has been edited by stevebluejay on Sep 9, 2016 6:58 PM

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 9 2016, 7:10 PM 

totally agree with the above comments.

It is certainly going to be a thrilling finale. Middlesex are proving to be a tough nut to crack.

But would we prefer this than to be 30 points ahead?

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 9 2016, 7:24 PM 

In the last two seasons we have been pretty dominant but so I think we might mostly agree that we stuttered this season early on but have run into top form now, thanks to Siddy and Brooks return and Ballance and Lehmann, not to mention a fiery Rafiq!
In my opinion, strong competition is good for the the County Championship and brings out the best of winning teams. Middlesex are proving tough and resilient contenders - if we win this year, it will (in my opinion) be our best achievement of recent seasons,

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Sep 9, 2016 7:27 PM

stevebluejay
(Login stevebluejay)

September 9 2016, 7:26 PM 

Peter, i would much prefer to be 30 or even 50 points ahead, this is bad for the ticker!

Sadly sport isn't like that and sometimes it is down to the opposition, circumstances, all sorts of reasons, which is why i hate to look back to one moment, game etc in a season where things didn't go our way for whatever reason, there are ebbs and flows.

For me, if Middlesex sadly go on and win the title, i will say congratulations and well done, they came to Scarborough and after we shaded day one with the Ballance century which i saw and enjoyed, then they dominated the rest of the game and were clinical in victory. They will have obviously got some sort of positive result at Lords and will have withstood a terrific effort by us to retain the title.

I remember you saying that we could/should have won the title in the last 5 seasons or words to that effect and to an extent i agree with that, however we have often been left short of options, player wise, due to ECB making the rules up as they go and in sport even with the best squad, there are peaks and troughs and luck can play a small part to a degree, it is so hard to dominate and stay on the very top for so long.

In football, when Man U or Chelsea have had the best side in recent seasons, they don't go and win the title for 4 or 5 years on the trot as it is so difficult to do so even if the perception is that they have been the best side on paper.

This season whatever happens, our defence of the title has been a credit to us and i just hope we can summon up two efforts lime we have just seen for the past 4 days, then if we fall short, i will say well done to the winners.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk