As it stands

September 9 2016 at 2:40 PM
Guest  (Login ThirdUmpire)

All played 14 with two to go

Middlesex 186
Yorkshire 185
Somerset 180
Surrey (who cares...)

So win our last two and we are champions. Tough challenge against nearest rivals and Middlesex unbeaten still.

Next week we need Lancs to do us a favour and beat Middlesex while we deal with Somerset.

Week after we may still need to keep an eye on Somerset v Notts while we play Middlesex at Lords.

Notts now relegated with two to go. Woeful season for them with their cheque book and talent available . Will Hales be allowed to play the last two games? Who might leave for first div cricket?

The other relegation spot between 4 teams with Hants Lancs Durham and Warwickshire battling it out to go down with Notts. The test match grounds no longer guaranteeing first div cricket. I would happily see any of them go down but as we need Lancs to win next week then perhaps the lure of roses matches might persuade me to want them to survive.

Great advert for two division cricket with 7 of 9 teams in title or relegation fight and only already doomed Notts and safe in mid table Surrey not playing for anything

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: As it stands

September 9 2016, 2:44 PM 

Despite the complaints about their pitch, I think Somerset winning was good for us. If it comes to it they will look to force a win which will increase our chances of winning, whether it's setting us a chaseable target or them attempting to chase an unachievable one.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 9 2016, 3:00 PM 

At least currently it seems that the weather shouldn't be a factor for our game.
Another mini heatwave on the way especially for Tuesday according to the BBC.
But there may be some patchy light rain/showers on Thursday.
That of course is all subject to change but looks good for Monday & Tuesday at least.
I wonder if Somerset will put us in?

(Login matthefish2002)

September 9 2016, 3:37 PM 

Just hope the weather holds for next two weeks, be awful if rained decided the Championship now.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 9 2016, 4:07 PM 

You may want to amend that table TU happy.gif

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 9 2016, 4:18 PM 

Yes the numbers are 202 201 and Somerset on 180. So Sonerset certainly need to trounce us to have a slim chance of the championship going into the final round

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 9 2016, 5:41 PM 

Rogers says Somerset may prepare another "bunsen" for their final match against Notts.sad.gif

If that is the case, Somerset will struggle for batting points. They'll need to beat Yorkshire to have any chance - a draw and a win won't be enough for them...32-ish points max and a final total of 212.

Both Yorkshire and Middlesex will beat that.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 9 2016, 6:13 PM 

Oops thanks Egham Tyke. I assumed cricinfo had updated once the game was over on their website but they are not as slick as I thought.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk