<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
JG
(Login _JG_)

Re: England players

September 10 2016, 12:00 PM 

Agreed dpressed, classic Patterson-imposed stranglehold in the first innings. We need that option.

T1950, interesting point about Bresnan. If we're just talking about the make-up of the bowling attack I wouldn't be against it, but are we confident enough in the recent resurgent form of our batsmen to take away the safety blanket that Bresnan's batting offers? I'm also not sure that Bres is the type that would appreciate being rested from such a vital fixture after playing all year.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 10 2016, 4:31 PM 

Ok Ive got a grip....

It is not the first time a Yorkshire and Englabd batsman has come in for some criticism for playing golf when his team mates were playing a vital cricket match. I recall boycott suffering similar in India on his last tour when he was allegedly ill and then had a round of golf while his team mates fielded in the heat.

I mentioned Bairstow had tweeted support just after the win. I made no comment about Root not tweeting but others inferred it to mean something I never intended. For the record I see root tweeted on 24 August to congratulate after our win at Scarborough.

I have no issue with Joe not playing for us as he needs a rest more then anyone. Someone asked a question about there whereabouts. Root was playing golf while two others were at headingley in support and one was on England duty in Loughborough.

Root can do what he wants on his time off. So can Bairstow. My relief is they were not allowed to play for us due to England sponsorship commitments which was my concern about golf at Loch Lomond.

But others seem to want to start arguments with anyone at any opportunity. Perhaps they should get a grip and accept different opinions of others.

No wonder posters like Dewsburian had enough.

(Login dpressed)

September 11 2016, 10:39 AM 

I 2nd TU's post about Root. He does need a rest & I for one didn't expect him to be released.

Btw Bairstow was seen at Headingley last week by a mate who was staying in the lodge, he was with Fisher one evening. Bluey was also sat at the back of NE Upper with a mate watching the Thursday of the Warwick match, I saw that myself.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 11 2016, 10:51 AM 

Could I suggest we judge Joe on what he does/has done for us when he IS playing for us, not what he does when he isn't. I think golf is an awful game, but even I'm not holding his choice against him.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 11 2016, 11:49 AM 

T20 Finals day is something he needs to put right.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 11 2016, 12:09 PM 

I'm not sure he needs to put it right as such; he was roughed up by a magnificent spell of fast bowling by Wood, and then played a poor shot. That could happen to anyone, no matter how good a player they are. He didn't throw it away deliberately.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 11 2016, 1:19 PM 

Thank you Seadog. It would be nice if we didn't see any failure as a evidence of lack of commitment, courage, or whatever other quality we choose to put forward.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 11 2016, 1:34 PM 

Agreed. But his innings was only a part of it, to go to the pod laughing and joking and talking about how good it was to see our opponents batsmen returning to form for the upcoming ODI's and no mention of our upcoming semifinal was the main concern, this in contrast to wood's anquish when in his last over one of our guys got a lucky edge that went to the boundary, one could see how annoyed he was. It is that that posters on here were concerned about....

cannot imagine jonny being so carefree within minutes of getting out.

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 11 2016, 2:57 PM 

Buttler IN Lancs squad to play Middlesex - let's hope he can make a few runs and hold on to any edges.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 11 2016, 3:37 PM 

I've got a confession to make. I don't know Joe Root personally and can't always tell what he's thinking even when I see him on tv. I hope you can all find it in your hearts to pardon this failing.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 11 2016, 3:56 PM 

That's OK Idle man, we can't all have Peter superior knowledge of everything cricket related.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 11 2016, 4:20 PM 

thats a totally ridiculous and childish thing to say EYT, and can only have been said in an attempt to create a flame war and ultimately get this thread closed. It contributes nothing else to the discussion.

However, i will not get into an argument with you instead will just ignore any posts made purely to cause offence.

Perhaps I might though respectfully direct you to our rules.

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 11 2016, 4:26 PM 

Maybe it was Peter but think also harsh to question Root's commitment just because he was in the pod being interviewed a few minutes after his dismissal at finals day

(Login Harrogate50)

September 11 2016, 4:35 PM 

If there is one thing that cannot be levelled at ANY of our players, it's lack of commitment, desire, passion etc.

They are all a credit to the club in my opinion, both of and on the pitch. For what it's worth, both Liam and Will Rhodes were both at the game on Thursday.

Frankly, they all make me proud to support Yorkshire.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 11 2016, 6:03 PM 

Fozzie, you may consider it harsh, it was however a legitimate opinion shared by others on this forum.

I am sure that Joe understands our frustrations and will perhaps be more committed to the cause next time he gets to play for us.

Harrogate50, totally agree with you regarding the rest of the team.

September 11 2016, 6:06 PM 

'more committed to the cause'

In the T20 semi Peter keeps harking back to Joe scored 7 off 10 balls and Jonny scored 3 off 6. So Joe scored more runs at a better strike rate yet, yet, because Sky asked him into "the pod" to promote the game of cricket this is somehow a lack of commitment! It's almost as if it's nothing to do with commitment but the fact Durham outplayed us.

Some people just really don't understand.

This message has been edited by EastYorkshireTyke on Sep 11, 2016 6:16 PM

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 11 2016, 7:05 PM 

EYT, why can you not understand...nothing to do with his 7 off 10 balls, nothing to do with sky inviting him into the pod or joe's acceptance of that.

All to do with the casual way he laughed it away and praised the opponents batting. He clearly was not disappointed in the slightest, and it is that that irks people.

The rest of the team worked really hard to get there, the rest of the team was gutted, but joe? just laughed it off with a 'oh well, its no big deal, the odi's start soon, now that is a big deal'

I appreciate that the result was far from known while he was in the pod, but i would expect every yorkshireman to be gutted at getting out in such an important match.

September 11 2016, 7:19 PM 

But if 80% of 20/20 is luck Peter why would anyone get too despondent about the result or getting out when the odds are so stacked against you? If anything in life is 80% luck then why be gutted about the outcome as you're so out of control of the outcome?
You also quote Joe as saying 'oh well, its no big deal, the odi's start soon, now that is a big deal' did he really say this?

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 11 2016, 7:27 PM 

Never heard of putting on a face? Players are trained to flick a switch when the media are about and give them what they want.

Best not to second guess what is going on in someone's head or reading too much into someone's 'mask'. It often leads to embarassing assumptions.

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 11 2016, 7:32 PM 

I was there at Edgbaston & at the time was frustrated at the manner of his dismissal but was nothing to do with lack of commitment, he faced a great over from Wood & his brain was probably a bit fried after that & wanted to take the bowling on at the other end & it did not work out, it happens to the best nobody is perfect

Just because he went in the pod does not mean he was not disappointed, saw him signing autographs & posing for pictures after the game too which was decent of him but I guess you would have rather seen him sat with his head in his hands

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk