<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Fortress Headingley

September 9 2016 at 5:02 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Just 1 loss in 5 seasons now at Headingley and that was v Sussex in April 2013.

We will not lose next week, which will make it 1 loss in 30.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

Re: Fortress Headingley

September 9 2016, 5:05 PM 

Was also a fortress in the T20 this year. After the defeat to Leicestershire, a no-result then 5 consecutive wins

Just a shame about our form there in 50-over format!

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 9 2016, 5:08 PM 

Impressive stats, what's the record like at Scarborough?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 9 2016, 5:19 PM 

Lost 2 from 10 at Scarborough in the same period (last 5 seasons).

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 9 2016, 6:16 PM 

We've not lost many games anywhere under Dizzy.
Fantastic record.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 9 2016, 11:15 PM 

As you implied before this match Stu, our record in the Championship at Headingley is superb.

This week's game makes it 9 wins in 11 games, the two other matches being draws in the first match of each of the last two seasons. And this without doctoring pitches in any way.

Let's hope we can maintain this next week.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 9 2016, 11:34 PM 

Since the debacle at Scarborough against Durham in 2013, we're unbeaten against everyone except Middlesex.
Disconcertingly, we've contrived to lose three times to them in the last three seasons. I hope no-one underestimates them.
It will be a very formidable task to go to Lords and win the Championship. I very much hope Lancashire can do us a favour next week but I'm not optimistic.
I'll be going to see something of both matches that matter. Yorkshire Monday and Wednesday; Lancashire on Tuesday.

Although they are a very strong all-round side, I'm sure Middlesex will be very anxious indeed about our recent form.

If forced to make a prediction, I would side with Yorkshire for the Championship; most particularly if Rashid is available.

(Login dpressed)

September 10 2016, 10:52 AM 

Oddly IMO the loss to Sussex was the best thing that could have happened to Yorkshire. It was our first match back in the first division & their bowlers absolutely hammered us. It made everyone (including 'the faithful') realise that we were now playing with the big boys. Thankfully the result was that we toughened up and the rest is history.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 10 2016, 11:54 AM 

Same could be said about the loss against Kent at the start of the previous season- took away any complacency that in Div Two we could just turn up and get promoted.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 10 2016, 12:16 PM 

Didn't the rain save us in that game JG? You are right however in that we were completely outplayed.

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 10 2016, 12:19 PM 

Yes that game was a draw, we had to follow on we were 4 down in the second innings

Didn't we go unbeaten that season, albeit most games were draws due to the weather

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 10 2016, 1:43 PM 

Kent would probably have beaten us at their end but for rain too. They had some cause for bitterness that year as two of our crucial victories were the negotiated run chases against Gloucs. Those four games sent us up instead of Kent, who arguably deserved the place. Since then of course there's been a bit of a gulf.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 10 2016, 2:30 PM 

Yes you're right; I just remembered us being under the pump and forgot that we didn't end up losing. Our change bowlers in that match were Pyrah and Wardlaw- no wonder they made 540...

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 10 2016, 4:08 PM 

And now we're discussing whether to leave out Patto, Plunkett, or Bresnan. Come a long way in five years.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 10 2016, 5:07 PM 

& the international left armer Willey doesn't even get a mention.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk