<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Alex Lees

September 9 2016 at 8:26 PM
Thomas  (Login YorkshireAllOver)

There's been a lot of talk about Hameed at Lancashire potentially playing for England, and rightly so. But Lees has now got more runs this season, albeit in 3 more innings.

So with Hales' place in the England team under threat, I just wonder why Lees hasn't been talked about.

Naturally I don't want him to be another playing missing from Yorkshire next season, but is he potentially good enough with few other names jumping out?

Personally I would say maybe he's not ready yet, but with another season or two he could be, he seems to have the right temperament and has had a good season after a poor one last time. He just needs to convert more half centuries into centuries

But Hameed has 4 centuries and 7 fifties; Lees has 3 100s and 7 fifties

Just a thought anyway. I'm just struggling to find many names as potential replacements for Hales and Vince
Keaton Jennings?
Sam Robson recall?

What are people's thoughts?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: Alex Lees

September 9 2016, 8:30 PM 

If Alex Lees had to face the likes of sidders, brooks and bressie, his average would suffer.

stevebluejay
(Login stevebluejay)

September 9 2016, 8:39 PM 

Hope not, we lose enough players to England as it is!

seriously though, he must be on the shortlist, i am sure i remember the Sky guys talking him up early in the season when they televised our championship game with Notts, daft as it sounds, that doesn't hurt his cause, media coverage.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

September 9 2016, 9:14 PM 

I really like Lees. I feel his career has taken the route of many other very talented young batsmen.

He was superb during his first full season. Then over the last year or so he's been up and down.

In the long run I think this will make him a better player. He's openly spoke of the need to improve against spin, but I think he's improved as a batsman in the last few months.

Next season I feel he and Lyth could be immense.

Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

September 9 2016, 9:17 PM 

I think there's no doubt that he suffered last season because of the lack of a stable opening partner. It generally fluctuated between Rhodes then later Hodd.

Now Lyth is back they're forming a formidable partnership like they did 2 years ago and hopefully this can continue into next season. If it does, the selectors may unfortunately be sniffing around...

Gary Watton
(Login GaryFulford)

September 9 2016, 10:40 PM 

Keaton Jennings does deserve an upgrade. Hales is going nowhere slowly. Alex Lees is not too far down the pecking order now. I think he should take the captaincy from Galey for next season's CC.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 9 2016, 11:22 PM 

Alex is a very good player who might have suffered from being talked up too early.
He has one or two issues that I think he still needs to fully attend to. His footwork can be a bit uncertain against spin but most notably he flirts outside off stump too readily and can give the slips too much practice early in his innings.
It may well be that his progress has been slightly impeded by the captaincy responsibilities given to him at such an early stage in his development.
Clearly Moxon and Gillespie think very highly of him. I can't think of a higher testimonial.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 9 2016, 11:29 PM 

I think he's had a pretty good season but he's our second best opener.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

September 10 2016, 9:02 AM 

We seem to have gone from having no opener options to quite a few.

Hameed sounds like a guarantee for the India tour. Then factor in Bell-Drummond, Gubbins, Robson, Duckett even and we seem to have some options alongside Lees.

Ian
(Login Royalnavy)

September 10 2016, 9:31 AM 

im really hoping the lad hameed gets go pretty soon, for a couple of reasons

Hales is clearly not a test player.
selfishly we get to keep Lees

Maybe as cooks time comes the opening bat for england might be Lees and Hameed??

as for the middle order is Duckett good enough and ready? i had him down as a one day dasher but he averages 44 in FC cricket.

Reg
(Login Reg19)

September 10 2016, 10:44 AM 

Lees offers something the others don't, whether that's what required by England is the question. He is a very traditional solid opener, he can score at pace when required but his natural game is much more measured. He has a very even temprament and is an intelligent cricketer, which is why he has captained all the way up the Yorkshire ranks (I believe as teenager he was leading the seconds). To say he is our second best opener doesn't really capture it for me. He is just very different to Lyth and on form, this pair are the best opening partnership in the CC and the best at what they do individually.

How do we really know how good Hameed is? One season in the CC doesn't teach an opener a great deal, there is the risk that a trip with England could result in failure, dent is confidence, change is game and send him backwards. Indeed, Lees's style changed after being coached with the Lions in South Africa and a duff season followed. This year he just want back to what he did before and it worked. Sure there are flaws but show me an opener who doesn't have some weaknesses somehwere.

Hales was never going to make it as a test opener, he just doesn't fit, he is far too inconsistent for the long game and the technique isn't there. Robson was tried and discarded, but a bit of me thinks he didn't really get a fair crack of the whip. Jennings is an interesting one, loads of runs but never a batsmen who convices me. Most recently, watching him in the first innings alongside Stoneman this week, there was no doubt in my mind on that day that Keaton was by far the less capable of the Durham openers. Thinking of Bell-Drummond, would be intersted to see how he did in Div1, although that doesn't stop selections of course.

All this said, back to the question, is Lees in the frame? It's possible, but somehow feels unlikely, he just isn't the fashionable choice. Is he ready? Probably moreso than some of the other names but I do feel the best is yet to come in the CC from him and would prefer to see that first.

He will play for England at some point and does have the potential to become a mainstay. However, back to my opening paragraph, people are never going to see him as an exciting choice. He is indeed a proper opener and not a show pony.

This message has been edited by Reg19 on Sep 10, 2016 10:48 AM

Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

September 10 2016, 11:20 AM 

I certainly think that talk of Duckett and Bell-Drummond for the test team is premature. They're only playing in Division 2 and need to prove themselves in Division 1 before selecting them, in my opinion.

Of course, for one day cricket, they've both got a good chance of getting in the squad

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 22 2016, 7:56 AM 

Watching Alex yesterday I have no idea how he has 1000 runs and is mentioned as an England potential opener. It was awful to watch him scratching around, struggling to get off the mark, struggling to hit the ball off the square. I felt sorry for him and was hoping for an inside edge to fine leg or a tip and run single in the covers to take the pressure off.

Various comments around me about it being Lyths fault as he races away as he did yesterday and then Lees feels the pressure to keep up. Garbage. I think bowlers feed Lyths cover drives in the hope of a nick to slip. Other excuses are the Lords slope and the one day captaincy. Not sure if these have more relevance but based on yesterday I think Lyth is nearer a recall than a Lees test debut.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 22 2016, 10:56 AM 

I think the issue with Lees & Balance is that they seem to struggle to get their innings' going by taking singles.
Both seem to feel the need to crack a boundary early on.
Compare that with Root who regularly just nudges or nurdles his first ball away for a run or two.
However, the danger with that is that they'll simply guide the ball into the slips as they did yesterday.
There's no way that either should be considered for England on current form.
I know that Jennings has had a marvellous season for Durham but whenever I've seen Durham Stoneman looks to be the most accomplished & dangerous of the two.
I hope his move to Surrey works out for him & that he can force his way into the England team.

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

September 22 2016, 8:46 PM 

I rate Lees but feel Bell-Drummond, Jennings and Fubbins are ahead of him.

(Login Reg19)

September 23 2016, 6:59 AM 

'Watching Alex yesterday I have no idea how he has 1000 runs and is mentioned as an England potential opener. It was awful to watch him scratching around, struggling to get off the mark, struggling to hit the ball off the square.'

I suppose its quite simple. The lad has scored 3 hundreds and 7 50s. I would tend to judge his batting prowess on his performances throughout the season rather than a non starter at Lords yesterday. However, this is Yorkshire and 1,100 counts for very little if a player isn't on the 'popular list'. I do wish we could just celebrate the achievements of our players a little more rather than question a single performance to indicate that a heavy scoring season is somehting of an undeserved flook.

In terms of of who got the calls to England and the Lions, I agree on Jennings being less appealling than Stoneman based on performances but hard to argue with his figures. As for Bell Drummond, hard to say without seeing him regularly perform at the top level, same goes for Duckett (I would still question his character). I wonder how many runs Lees and Lyth would score in Div 2? A couple of thousand each perhaps, breaking all records against less than fearsome bowling..... My big concern is putting Hameed in there so early, something which Giles has warned against. The sink or swim approach that England have could crush him at point when he should be develponing. Gubbins, solid enough, scored a lot of runs, was very lucky in the first innings of the current game and doesn't quite look the part for me.

Most of the above, with exception of the untested Div 2 batters, are probably better options than Hales as a test opener. He snuck in at a low point and it was always obvious that he wasn't going to cut it.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 23 2016, 7:27 AM 

You kindly alter the tone of my post by not going as far as my comment about feeling sorry for him and hoping he could get s single to get off the mark and ease his obvious nerves.

I am fully aware of his other runs and noted he had scored 1000. Based on Wednesdays all to short innings it was just difficult to see how this had happened with a Bentley purring away at the other end in full throttle making the stark contrast even more apparent.

I have no problem with "ugly runs". Cook and Boycott were hardly Lyth or Gower.

It was an observation based on the day's play at that time.

Reg
(Login Reg19)

September 23 2016, 1:37 PM 

I can only quote what you say! Although I am sure he would be greatful of you feeling sorry for him. This is game about form and there have been moments this season, not too far back, where Lees has been the fluid one and his partners stuttering. Neither Lees nor Lyth are close to an international spot right now so its all moot point. What is very clear though is that they are two very different players, who gets picked first (if at all) will depend on what's needed. If I had to call it, Lees has the most potential, Lyth is more attractive to watch righ now when in full flow. Both are good players to have in your team at county level.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 23 2016, 3:16 PM 

On a positive note can I be the first to congratulate Alex on his best bowling figures in first class cricket today.

(Login dpressed)

September 24 2016, 8:54 AM 

Lol

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk