<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somerset (Pre-match Thread)

September 9 2016 at 11:46 PM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Monday 12th September 2016 | Specsavers County Championship - Division One

So what is the ideal Yorkshire XI considering the venue, the competition and our pursuit of a third consecutive Championship?

Latest Championship odds:

Yorkshire: 8/11
Middlesex: 5/4
Surrey: 33-1
Somerset: 33:1

""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login matthefish2002)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somerset (Pre-match Thread)

September 10 2016, 5:47 AM 

Fitness permitting the only change I would make is Rashid for Rafiq.

Tyke 83
(Login Tyke83)

September 10 2016, 8:58 AM 

Plunkett for Patto is likely under the circumstances. It would be nice to see Liam in the 4 day team again anyway.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 10 2016, 9:16 AM 

Agree re Plunkett for Patterson. Show some compassion and it is not going to weaken us, probably more likely to strengthen us.

Two changes for me Rashid and Plunkett in for Rafiq & Patto.

re the odds --- Surrey same price as Somerset is crazy!! Surrey can not win it. They only have 1 match left and are 27 points behind Middlesex.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 10, 2016 9:27 AM

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 10 2016, 9:44 AM 

Plunkett has 9 wickets at 60 in the championship this year, obviously offers more with the bat than Patto but if Patto is available he will surely play, he has 40 wickets this season & his economy is around 2.60, I certainly don't think Plunkett if he replaces him strengthens the team

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 10 2016, 10:04 AM 

I agree re Patto. If he's happy to play then he should play. Rashid should be the only change; the seam attack are bowling so well right now that any changes should only be if absolutely necessary.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 10 2016, 10:11 AM 

Very interesting run-in towards the title, and relegation. The relegation battle could have a bearing on the top of the table, too.

Lancashire entertain Middlesex and don't really need to beat them. A flat O.T. pitch and a high-scoring draw would do nicely, so if we can..... Yes, IF - but it is in our hands to do so at Headingley next week and, with a little reciprocal trans-Pennine assistance, we could go to Lord's as leaders. Probably why we're favourites, though with bookies offering 33/1 on the impossible, perhaps they don't what they're doing any more than the ECB.

Lancashire could be vulnerable to a Hampshire win, but if that happens (against Durham), it is Durham who might be struggling. Warwickshire, too, are more vulnerable than Lancs.

Definitely Rashid for Rafiq, though Azeem bowled pretty well despite Gale's reluctance to use him, and Hodd seems to find him a nightmare to keep to.

Plunkett for Patto might be the correct call. It might be enforced anyway. Not sure if it would be more compassionate to leave him out than to play him, but I'm sure this management will get that part right, if the problem arises.

Brilliant pitch for the Durham game, and next week's more central one should be just as good, the perfect balance between bat and ball, with some turn, too. Beware Jack Leach. I have been going on about him for some time; now he's being spoken about as a candidate for the India tests. Good bowler.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 10 2016, 10:14 AM 

"Strengthen" was probably the wrong word to use, and I do not want to upset the NLOP club members. Surely Steve needs to have some compassion showing to him, and he is our only seamer who has not had a "rest" so far this season.

Plunketts inclusion gives us more variety, instead of having a very "samey" pace attack of Brooks, Bresnan & Patto, Liam gives us the extra option of extreme pace. IMO, our ideal attack when all available, is Rashid, Plunkett, Siddy, and two of Bresnan, Patto & Brooks. Liams inclusion also strengthens immensely our batting and fielding, as he is an exceptional fielder.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 10, 2016 10:21 AM

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 10 2016, 11:34 AM 

With Hameed and Liam Livingstone,Lancs should be no pushovers for Middx.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 10 2016, 12:13 PM 

Agree with Dave's reading of the situation- a high-scoring draw would be a good outcome for Lancs so perhaps they will prepare a nice flat pitch at OT, as they did for our visit. I don't think they'd be too confident of being able to beat Middlesex given the impotence of their attack and the fact they haven't won since May, so this would seem a sensible strategy. Thankfully we are in control of the surface that our match will be played on, so I expect another result wicket as Fogarty has produced so well in the past couple of seasons. The weather looks set fair for the week anyway- no tedious debates about weather forecasting this week..!

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 10 2016, 12:25 PM 

I'm with Seadog here. If patto wants to play then he should.

Re bressie, it would be madness to rest him, he is by some distance our best player this season, and with only 2 crucial games left he should play in them both if he is fit.

I may go to ot some time next week to cheer on the red rose, depends how the games develop

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 10 2016, 1:15 PM 

Lancashire, Warwickshire and, especially, Durham - as Yorkshire have just witnessed - are all in poor form so another Hampshire "Great Escape" is very possible - pity they gained an undeserved 5 points last Saturday when rain saved from your good selves.

Lancs might get a draw - not lost at OT this season - but there is no chance of a win I am afraid unless you loan us TWO seamers - Plunkett and Willey?happy.gif

After the disappointment of Yorkshire failing to beat Hampshire, thanks are due for the way you comprehensively crushed Durham - shame you allowed them a second batting point.

Free-falling Durham might well just escape this season by the skin of their teeth but, with Stoneman leaving and may be others, it is just delaying the inevitable and I'd put money on them being relegated next season.

NB: Lancs won their first 3 games at OT this season by HUGE margins against Notts, Surrey and Hampshire and since then there have been 3 high-scoring draws against Warwicks, Yorkshire and Somerset.

The only home match away from OT was at Southport where we lost a bit unluckily to Durham by 2 wickets (we had Anderson for half a game; Durham had Stokes for the whole game...thanks ECB!). If the Durham game had been played at OT, we probably would have already been safe.

Away from home, we have been DIRE - second best in every game except in the first at Taunton when we had Somerset following on (they easily batted out the draw).

An 11/12 point draw against Middlesex would do me fine and I am sure this would help your title chances, may be only needing to draw your final game at Lord's where even WE knocked up 500 plus.

This message has been edited by howden73 on Sep 10, 2016 1:27 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 10 2016, 2:38 PM 

Our away form hasn't been that much better to be fair, 6 draws from 6 so far this season. Two of those we probably would have won with better weather (Surrey, Hants) but fair to say the weather saved us at Taunton.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 10 2016, 2:56 PM 

In many sports it is often said that having previous experience of winning the title/league/championship is of great benefit as the team has been there before and are used to the pressures involved in getting over the line.

After our relatively easy victory last year does anyone think there will be a benefit to us based on the last couple of years or will the weight of expectation and anticipation in aiming for the treble actually work against us?

Personally I think the steel and resolve the team has shown to get so close to a third title will be of great benefit in the final two games all other matters,especially the weather, being equal.

BTW my only change would be Rashid for the unfortunate Rafiq if Patto is OK to play.

This message has been edited by legglance on Sep 10, 2016 2:57 PM

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

somerset

September 11 2016, 8:22 AM 

This game is the biggest game of the season even bigger than the Middlesex game it puts all the pressure on Middlesex , it doesn't matter what the side is as long as everyone gives 100% and we should get a full game with no weather interruptions nothing but 100% commitment and I will say nothing more .

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

Re: somerset

September 11 2016, 12:34 PM 

With 10.30 start and morning sessions usually favouring bowlers at Headingley, we are almost certain to be batting first - not sure early starts were taken into account for early starts in September. We will need disciplined first 2 hours form our openers.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 11 2016, 12:54 PM 

traditionally the first session at headingley is very testing,but it might not be as bad this week. we have had a long period of sunny weather, and that is forecast to continue. temperatures ln the mid 20,s, we very rarely get that in high summer.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 11 2016, 2:38 PM 

There was a very heavy dew last night, even at 10.00 am my lawn was pretty damp.
The temperatures last night though were much lower than those forecast for tonight & the rest of the week.
I also think we may be asked to bat first. But if Rogers believes their strength now lies in their spin attack perhaps he'll opt for the toss so that Somerset can bat first.
If it goes to the toss & we win it I'd be surprised if Gale puts them in.
But if the wicket is similar to that for the Durham game I don't it will matter if we bat or bowl first. I fully expect us to score over 400 in our first innings.

This message has been edited by Old_Feller2 on Sep 11, 2016 2:40 PM

Gary Watton
(Login GaryFulford)

September 11 2016, 3:40 PM 

We have a lethal seam quartet. Why tinker with it? Plunkett is after all averaging 60 in the CC. Somebody has stated that our attack should consist of two from Bresnan, Brooks, and Patto. Nonsense. Brooks is a must pick. His form over the last month has been as responsible as anything for taking us to the brink of glory again. His new ball partnership with Siddo is second to none.

As already stated, I hope, though forlornly, that Lancashire will treat Sexymiddle to the same living room carpet pitch that they inflicted upon us - in that match that we should have won - according to one or two on ere.

(Login Harrogate50)

September 11 2016, 4:21 PM 

No one could argue if we kept the same pace attack.

I would put Liam in just for the entertainment. Partly tounge in cheek as I think he is a quality bowler, he offers something different and on occasions his batting can turn a match, although you shouldn't or couldn't rely on it

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk