<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Jay
(Login overman8)

Re: CHHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somersert at Leeds (Day 1)

September 12 2016, 11:52 AM 

Promising start so far, we've given them a false sense of top order vulnerability and will sting them with the tail.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 12 2016, 12:03 PM 

BBC website: "After a tricky first half hour or so, Middlesex have weathered the storm and are starting to score with a little more freedom. Openers Nick Gubbins and Sam Robson have both looked good driving through the covers."

This is what our top order has simply failed to do most of the last two seasons. Yet again, we are three or four down for next to nothing and hoping that the middle order allows us to get away with it.

It is all very well the first three in a batting order getting a ton in the second innings, like Lyth last week when we started the innings 200 ahead. It is in the first innings that opening batsmen and the number three should be judged.

p.s. Gale 23 not out. Time to deliver, Galey. No excuses.

This message has been edited by EastCoastType on Sep 12, 2016 12:05 PM

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 12 2016, 12:16 PM 

Agreed East Coast, you make some very pertinent points. At the risk of not sounding like I'm 'moaning' but our openers really do need to chip in more and particularly at crucial times. There is an over reliance on the lower order to bail us out far too often.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 12 2016, 12:20 PM 

Interesting to compare the Gubbins/Robson opening partnership this season with ours. They both have higher averages than our two but in terms of "scores" ours have scored 7 tons to their six and the same number of 50s (7). Ours have scored a couple hundred more runs overall but in far more innings (52 v 37) - but then I guess if you score big in the first innings you don't bat in the second - they have only played two fewer games than our two.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 12 2016, 12:29 PM 

You seem to jump to the conclusion that batting first is an error as we are three down before lunch. What if they were all out to great deliveries of ridiculous catches or poor umpiring? That's nowt to do with the weather or the track. What if they are just out of form?

Others than talk about our top order as if they have been crap all year. I've just looked up our batting averages on cricinfo and two of our lads have over 1000 runs this season. Lyth and Lees with Ballance having 863 runs from five fewer knocks. Some were for England of course. That's not that bad a return from a top three.

Forgetting our regular absentees like Root and Bairstow, I think this is as strong a top order as we can pick.

Perhaps surprisingly to some, Bresnan has only got 492 runs at 32.8 average with top score of 69. Brooks has a better batting average. As does Rafiq and Plunkett.

Let's not be quick to slate our top order. They batted well last week in our win. Today they have not come off but it's a team game

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 12 2016, 12:30 PM 

Terrible from Lehmann on the stroke of lunch.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 12 2016, 12:31 PM 

B***r, was just thinking three down isnt the end of the world going into lunch.

(Login matthefish2002)

September 12 2016, 12:36 PM 

Not enjoying my cheese and pickle sandwiches in the office on just seeing 4 down at lunch.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Circling the drain, or another recovery?

September 12 2016, 12:41 PM 

A nightmarish start for the Tykes, who are quickly putting themselves in an untenable position. So instead of pushing on to accumulate vital batting bonus points we are in another, and all to familiar, rebuilding situation.

Alas, if Middlesex capitalize on their strong start they'll add valuable bonus points and put Yorkshire in a position whereby we'll have to beat them in the last match, while they'll only need a draw. And of course if Middlesex win and we lose, them the Londoners are essentially the champions.

We need a century stand.

And it's hard to not look at the ECB's decision to hold back our two top batsmen, who could hardly done worse than their stand-ins.

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Sep 12, 2016 12:50 PM

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 12 2016, 12:44 PM 

I was not criticising the decision: my post was really a 'don't panic': an early wicket down at Headingley is nothing new.

Sadly, neither is an early four.....

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 12 2016, 12:53 PM 

Frankly Alex I'm disappointed you refer to lyth lees ballance or Lehmann as stand ins. They could all be selected on merit if Root and Bairstow were available as Hodd and possibly Gale would be vulnerable. The dismissed batsmen are either our overseas players or have scored tons in one of our last two games I believe.

It's one poor session of 24 remaining sessions and we are writing off the title. We might have to win it the hard way but that's our way sometimes!

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 12 2016, 12:57 PM 

Could have been alot worse, Lehmann was dropped on 0. Plunkett at 9 today. Plenty of batting to come.

Alex
Owner

September 12 2016, 12:59 PM 

@Third Umpire: I didn't mention any particular players, but Root and Bairstow are world class and I'm not sure any of the players you note are.

And I didn't write off the title, I merely stated the obvious...we are in trouble. Besides, it is my opinion that if either Root or Bairstow had played more often for Yorkshire this season, we'd probably have enough points in the hopper that we would have already clinched the title.

Please don't put words into my mouth.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 12 2016, 1:08 PM 

Sorry Alex but in that case who are the stand ins you refer to who could not do any better?

The four I named are the ones already dismissed. The two I think are standing in if Root and Bairatow were available are either not out or not yet in. Should we not judge when they have played their part?

My comment on the title was not aimed at your post but at the general forum mood of pessimism after one session. Apologies for any misunderstanding

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 12 2016, 1:10 PM 

Have nasty feeling that the Lords match may be an anti climax. Middlesex openers have made excellent start and if Tresco and company are batting this afternoon, then I think the triple will be out of the window. If we ever needed a big one from Rashid and the Captain, then this is the moment. At least we are not 6 down as we were at Scarborough on the first morning there 😀

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 12 2016, 1:16 PM 

Long way to go yet Alibor, hopefully we can still post a score of 275 plus here, don't write us off yet!

WRF
Owner

September 12 2016, 1:17 PM 

No offense taken, Third.

However, it is important that all reasonable opinions be respected on our forum. Too often some of us confuse our mantra (a place to DISCUSS Yorkshire cricket) with being a "fan forum." Of course we are all Yorkshire fans, but in order to discuss Yorkshire cricket, warts and all, we have accept that some of the comments will be negative or perceived as negative.

That said, I always enjoy your erudite opinions and always look forward to your thoughts and contributions. It is members like you who make the White Rose such an enjoyable experience.

Hopefully, the lads will be 300 or so for 6 by the end of the day.

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 12 2016, 1:25 PM 

The 'shouter downers' are at it again, allow others to vocalise opinions, it's not a personal attack. I feel that with this team we are capable of anything and have an incredibly resilient nature.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 12 2016, 1:27 PM 

Lights should be on here. Been quite gloomy since lunch.

On now.

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute on Sep 12, 2016 1:30 PM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 12 2016, 1:35 PM 

Top 5 out for under 100 - it certainly is gloomy and I am an eternal optimist, Middlesex 108-0 albeit against 2nd Division outfit

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 58 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk