<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Jay
(Login overman8)

Re: CHHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somersert at Leeds (Day 1)

September 12 2016, 1:47 PM 

Rashid's poor form with the bat continues, 6 down at home but no need to despair yet, as Brooks still has to bat.

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 12 2016, 1:49 PM 

This is a mess, 175 from here would be a reasonable score

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 12 2016, 1:53 PM 

Hodd back to his best, very poor effort from our batsmen thus far, but credit to the Somerset attack who have utterly dominated the session.

(Login matthefish2002)

September 12 2016, 1:55 PM 

Think if we can limp to 150 all out I would settle for that.
Really need our lower order to get us out of the s*** first with bat and then with the ball.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 12 2016, 2:01 PM 

Rashid has not batted in any cricket since the T20 final, having been dragged around the country in the Test Squad before then. No wonder his form has fallen off in the second half of the season.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 12 2016, 2:03 PM 

True, but is a wonder as to why he's batting above Bresnan.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 12 2016, 2:07 PM 

I agree - being in and out of the test/ODI squad where your role is very much as a bowler must be unsettling, but I wonder if he is just practicing his bowling more and his batting less these days - when with England, or as his bowling improves his batting becomes less of a strong suit. Either way it would probably make more sense to play him below Bresnan.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 12 2016, 2:08 PM 

Agree with that- the fact that Rashid has barely batted for weeks is precisely why Bresnan should be batting ahead of him.

Not a good start to say the least anyway. I hope it's doing a bit: Jim Allenby shouldn't be ripping through us if it's not...

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 12 2016, 2:08 PM 

At least Middlesex have lost a wicket now.

We like to say don't judge a track til both sides have batted. Maybe the pitch inspectors will need to visit later....

And I bet we get docked points where Somerset didn't!

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 12 2016, 2:14 PM 

Sheesh, this looks like a horrible toss to win

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 12 2016, 2:20 PM 

My last day of cricket at Headingley this season and, without doubt, the worst I have seen so far.

Somerset have bowled naggingly and with great accuracy; they have fielded extremely well. This, however, is not a terror track and our batsmen have showed varying degrees of patience - from little, to none.

Lees, as so often, nicked off early on. Ballance briefly looked good and then edged a wideish ball. Lyth got a better ball than some that took wickets. Lehmann was out rashly - he's too loose at present for first class cricket. Gale was out flashing wildly. Rashid guided a ball to slips - and so on: a miserable procession of ineptitude.
As I write, Bresnan is hanging in and showing some of the restraint missing in all the others.
This may well be the day we effectively lose our grip on the Championship. I can't really see a sufficient recovery from here to put any pressure on the Somerset batsmen.

I hope I'm wrong, but looking at the state of the game at Old Trafford, we may well be left with too much to do next week.

As you might guess, I'm feeling a bit gloomy. Maybe the bowlers will cheer me up later.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 12 2016, 2:28 PM 

Hard to find a silver lining. I suppose the only one is the possibility that a result may be difficult to force at OT. If Middlesex draw with maximum bonus points and we lose with 3, that would leave us 11 points behind Middlesex going into the final game. So it would then be a winner takes all situation. Yes I know it is clutching at straws, but I have bought my train tickets for Lords!

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 12 2016, 2:30 PM 

Hopefully JG will get his wish and see us batting tomorrow after all, and sooner rather than later

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 12 2016, 2:30 PM 

It was not the toss Egham which caused the havoc (we won it) but the decision to bat first at Headingley with a 10.30 start. We could have been in the driving seat instead of being in this mess IMHO.

(Login matthefish2002)

September 12 2016, 2:32 PM 

Got my train tickets too for Lords for days 2 and 3 and hotel booked.

Going to have to bowl Somerset out for at most 200 to be still in this game.
Feeling a bit cheesed off after the excellent performance last week.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 12 2016, 2:34 PM 

NEVER despair until we've bowled.
I think - come lunchtime tomorrow - we'll still be in this game...

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 12 2016, 2:34 PM 

Hopefully JG will get his wish and see us batting tomorrow, and sooner rather than later.
I think both captains said they'd have batted so looks like Somerset have bowled/fielded really well or we've been poor or maybe a combination of both. Whichever one we've got a mountain to climb here but we've done it before
Robson just gone for Middlesex

This message has been edited by Davetyke on Sep 12, 2016 2:35 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 12 2016, 2:36 PM 

But there are two other first div games going on as far north as Manchester and Chester Le street. 200-4 and 151-2 suggest teams batting first in the north of England with a 10-30 start don't have to struggle. The report from tyke1950 hints at poor batting, a lack of patience, good bowling and excellent catching. Little mention of extravagant movement, seam or swing.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 12 2016, 2:45 PM 

Sounds like we have relaxed before, rather than after, we have won the title!

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 12 2016, 2:49 PM 

Thanks for the report Tyke1950- not what I wanted to hear at all though, sounds like this is very much a self-inflicted pickle we find ourselves in.

I suppose this game is almost a semi-final, and we know that Yorkshire sides don't like those...

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 58 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk