<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Jay
(Login overman8)

Re: CHHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somersert at Leeds (Day 1)

September 12 2016, 4:39 PM 

Seemingly handed Middlesex the title after that horror show of a batting performance, but you never know with Yorks.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 12 2016, 4:45 PM 

"""Either way, I'd like to be the first poster on this Forum to congratulate Middlesex on winning the 2016 County Championship."""

roughly translated.

I'd like to be the first to give up on winning the title.

This message has been edited by Blackpooltyke on Sep 12, 2016 5:29 PM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 12 2016, 4:47 PM 

Sadly, I think this year's triple quest is almost over - batting at this time of day is easy for such experienced quality batsmen 🙁 Yes Peter, the best team this year are going to win title, with a little help from ECB. Wonder how Johnny Bairstow is feeling?

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Sep 12, 2016 4:49 PM

(Login matthefish2002)

September 12 2016, 4:55 PM 

Feel very frustrated today with Yorkshire.
Booked Wednesday off work and was really looking forward to it after seeing the weather forecast.
Still planning to go as it beats sitting in the office looking out of the window at the sunshine but more to say goodbye to Headingley for 6 months then owt else now.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

September 12 2016, 4:59 PM 

After the two "white ball" disasters I posed the question of how we would cope with similar "knock out" matches in the CC. I think today has provided an answer. Having flashbacks to Scarborough in 2013.

Grudging congratulations to Middlesex or Somerset (rather the latter)

This message has been edited by twelthman on Sep 12, 2016 5:00 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 12 2016, 5:02 PM 

It's all Lancashires fault for having a crap bowling attack....

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 12 2016, 5:11 PM 

Yes Peter, the best team this year are going to win title,

really? I think the best team didn't think they needed to be bothered with run chases like at ot and cls this season

hope the team have learnt their lesson, 3 more games we could have won but were too afraid of losing.

Still, I have not given up yet. Even if we concede a 200 run lead, nothing to stop us from getting 400 in the second innings and bowling somerset out cheaply second time around.

No certainty that middx are going to win at ot either.....could yet go to lords in the lead...its a funny old game.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 12 2016, 5:21 PM 

But you gave up half an hour ago, it's there in writing! Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm trying to cheer myself up on a depressing day. I didn't think we'd be the team who cracked first - a nasty shock.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 12 2016, 5:27 PM 

Monsoon forecast for rest of week for Northern England - teams advised to go home tonight to avoid travel disruption.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 12 2016, 5:27 PM 

eh? I never did.

think you are misreading my posts.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 12 2016, 5:29 PM 

Well, that's not gone to plan has it?

Hopefully we can get into them tomorrow morning and limit the damage to say 100 deficit and then ...............well you never know.

I'll be there shouting them on but I feel I could be the warm up for the fat lady.

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 12 2016, 5:33 PM 

The fat lady would be an improvement on our batting today. Off to wait for Godot.

stevebluejay
(Login stevebluejay)

September 12 2016, 5:44 PM 

Whether anybody likes it or not, the best team always wins the title regardless of ifs. buts and maybe's.

IF Middlesex go on and win it they will deserve to do so, it's rubbish to say if this had happened or we'd chased this down or bowled so and so out for 100 runs less. That is why the title is a marathon and not a sprint and it is not like a cup competition where luck can play a major part in one game.All games are different in how the outcome occurs, there are also some decent sides in this division and it is not always easy to dominate. England call ups at various times can have an effect as well.

Every team can have hard luck stories, not just Yorkshire, or stories where they say they should have done this and that.

The only major thing that can help or hinder a team in the championship is weather, because it can affect some teams more than others, weather can save a team from almost certain defeat and can alter the outcome of a game very quickly, it is not like football where every team has to fulfil their fixtures to force a result of some kind, postponed or abandoned games have to be completed.

No, for me, if we don't win the title we won't deserve to have done and no hard luck stories will change that. I have to say that we have given it a great shot at defending the title, whatever happens. Disappointing today, but still not a foregone conclusion and hopefully we can rally.

It's not looking good right now, but i won't be the second person to congratulate Middlesex, not just yet!

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 12 2016, 5:53 PM 

Whisly I would agree with that SteveBlueJay there is a natural tendency to look for the occasions that were most critical and caused most harm.

I'll get my twopennorth in second ( after Peter's comments about not chasing of course) and say that this morning and the morning in Scarboro' where Middx plundered 140 or so in very few overs were the two critical sessoins of this season.

Hoping against hope we might still manage to right today's wrongs sad.gif

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 12 2016, 5:59 PM 

The first innings top order collapse today was hardly out of the blue.

Had a look through this year's games and we have had four genuinely good starts in the first innings (172-3, 197-3, 185-3, 168-2) out of 15.

The other 11 are: 41-3, 85-4, 24-3, 45-3, 29-4, 124-4, 131-4, 130-5, 51-6, 57-3, 39-3.

In terms of individual performances in the first innings:

- Lyth has 3 first innings tons, but no other score of 25+ in the other 12 knocks.
- Lees only 5 scores of 33+ out of 15 knocks.
- Ballance has one ton, two 50s, a 37 and then 7 knocks of between 0 and 12.

Very hit and miss - 12 scores of more than 37 out of a combined 42 innings. Not really the top order batting of champions.

And then, of course, it has been followed by poor middle order contributions (figures are for both innings):

- Leaning 233 runs in 15 knocks, average 18
- Gale 501 runs in 23 knocks, average 22

Plus, three overseas batsmen adding to the overall unstable nature of things.

Is this really the best we can do?

This message has been edited by EastCoastType on Sep 12, 2016 6:01 PM

(Login tykeowl)

September 12 2016, 6:08 PM 

Yes - all about risk and reward. If we'd taken a small risk at OT we could have reaped a massive reward. Still hope we can pull something out of the bag but that shaking hands at OT is the biggest disappointment of the season for me. I know others see it differently but Gale will perhaps look back on such moments and think what if.

stevebluejay
(Login stevebluejay)

September 12 2016, 6:11 PM 

Yeah Leg Glance i do have a tendency to look at turning points in games and the season as a whole but i am sure that fans of other counties do likewise and i can see why we do it!

For me there have been too many occasions where we have not put enough runs on the board first off and also had to rely on the tail wagging to post any resemblance of a decent total and therefore have not been in a position to take control or dictate a game, look at the difference last week when we posted a decent score first off and controlled the game right through.

Maybe we just haven't been consistent enough when it matters, that makes the difference. Also when presented with opportunities to chase a score to win the game such as Lancs at OT, maybe we just haven't had the confidence to really go for it and then the hesitation and doubt creeps in and we go into a bit of a shell. Whatever the reasons, if we were good enough to win these last two games we would be champions and that is a decent position to put yourself in, after today mind you, it would be an extraordinary comeback. Pity there was no Cricket Yorkshire being filmed for Sky tonight like last season as the dressing room and Galey's comments would make very interesting viewing.

alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

September 12 2016, 6:13 PM 

Stevebluejay: "The only thing that can help or hinder a team in the Championship is the weather..."

I would argue that the often seemingly arbitrary nature of England call-ups is at least as big a factor and often more so. Joe Root not playing a single Championship match for Yorkshire this year being one example. Or Jonny Bairstow being held out of the last two vital end-ofseason Championship matches despite the England program being finished for the season.

Not only does the ECB in effect "punish" the teams involved for turning out top players but the effects can last for entire seasons or longer, but it turns the Championship into a selector's lottery.

Does anyone seriously think the Tykes would have been bowled out for under 150 with Root and Bairstow in the lineup?

. .
""

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Sep 12, 2016 6:16 PM

stevebluejay
(Login stevebluejay)

September 12 2016, 6:19 PM 

Yeah i actually wondered the same thing after the game at OT, i know one game doesn't decide the season, but maybe it can define it, if we'd maybe had a real go and fallen short and settled for the draw or gone for it and got bowled out just short, maybe just the intent would have created positivity around, i don't know.
of course if we'd won, it would have been a sensational effort.

You wonder what Gale and Dizzy felt at the time and you wonder if now, they'd have done anything differently, i'm sure i read Gale saying that he'd still have done the same thing, but is that a case of saying the right thing rather than meaning it.

Winning games like that create a massive statement of intent, but maybe because there were so many games left, we erred on the side of caution, i don't agree with that, but Gale, Dizzy etc have had so much success, i couldn't really argue with it.

stevebluejay
(Login stevebluejay)

September 12 2016, 6:28 PM 

England call ups have become a lottery and a farce, like the weather!

Finn able to play, Anderson played half a game for Lancs and our guys in or out, there is no consistency from the selectors or no rules it seems.

Yes the England call ups are just as unpredictable as the weather, not the call ups themselves, but who or who doesn't get released.

I don't know what the answer is apart from continually trying to produce more and more good players, so they can't all be picked for England!

Root hardly ever plays for Yorkshire nowadays and i can see that being the case for the next 5 years plus, nature of the beast i'm afraid. We just have to try to find more of the likes of him.

That is why the cricket transfer system also is getting bigger as clubs look to improve their squads to maybe compensate for England call ups.

< Previous Page 13 4 5 6 78 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk