<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Bangladesh

September 12 2016 at 8:29 AM
Guest  (Login ThirdUmpire)

So should the tour go ahead at all is the first issue.

Then if it is proceeding, should players be able to opt out and still be selected for the next tour?

And what would the reaction be if some players are rested from the odi series whilst others have declined to tour? If Morgan Hales Root and any other rumoured to be rested player are all back in England does it matter the circumstances that led to them being at home in October?

I'm not giving answers for fear of the usual opinions of others leading to arguments and insults but plenty of food for thought with lots of tweeters and ex players keen to give their views (some from the safety of their homes)

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Sep 12, 2016 9:10 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: Bangladesh

September 12 2016, 8:37 AM 

Given the security advice is that it is safe to tour, then yes, the tour should proceed in my opinion.

Also, the ECB gave players the choice to opt out should they wish. Having done that then Hales and Morgan should still be in consideration for the India tour. Having said that I think both will only be in the frame for the white ball leg of the tour anyway.

Young Clogger
(Login YoungClogger)

September 12 2016, 9:00 AM 

I think it is right that the team members have been given the choice to opt out. There are many countries in the world I would not travel to, despite whatever security measures might be in place.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 12 2016, 9:21 AM 

The logic of the situation is that once you let a player say no to the tour, you have to accept the consequences on both sides. Morgan should not automatically come back into the side (particularly since his form has been shaky) if his replacement does well. Equally Hales cannot expect to be picked for the Test Squad for the series in India (even if his inclusion was doubtful anyway), because it would go against the current England policy of giving new players five or six games to bed down. This also means that Root and Moeen who might well have been rested for the Bangladesh ODIs, are now likely to play - so there is an impact on other squad players.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 12 2016, 9:57 AM 

It wouldn't bother me particularly to travel to Bangladesh but it's nice to see that the ECB gave the players the choice of whether to travel or not. Hopefully their decision not to go won't be seen in a negative light for future tours.
It seems to be much better organised and with a better process for looking at and deciding about tours to riskier places when compared to the past. When hussain was captain he was critical about the whole process and how poorly the players and captain were informed.

(Login dpressed)

September 12 2016, 7:13 PM 

I find it interesting that Morgan has mentioned a bomb blast in India, but yes still plays in the IPL.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 12 2016, 7:15 PM 

Where Hales has of course also put himself forward with Notts approval for an IPL contract.

But and it may be a coincidence of course, the financial rewards of the IPL may outweigh an Englsnd touring fee.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk