<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

Re: Other games

September 14 2016, 2:41 PM 

Finn on a hat-trick....

....happily avoided. Century for Jones. Lancs might just save this one....

This message has been edited by Fraisse10 on Sep 14, 2016 2:54 PM

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 14 2016, 3:11 PM 

Lancs all out, 68 behind. How long will Middlesex bat; how many 'til they feel safe from defeat; how long will they need - in their view - to remove Lancs again?
This game got interesting, if Kerrigan, and maybe Petersen, can use the pitch.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 14 2016, 3:11 PM 

Jones carries his bat for 106, what a superb effort from him in a situation which brings to mind Vaughan's Test debut. May just give us half a chance; Middlesex have 130 overs to extend their lead of 57 and then bowl Lancs out.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 14 2016, 3:15 PM 

It is going well into the last day whatever happens now. Could be a nail biter - Middlesex may have their best chance of winning if they are bowled out.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 14 2016, 3:38 PM 

Yet again Finn mops up the tail.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 14 2016, 4:29 PM 

From my reckoning a draw for either side is no better than a defeat.

middx weither they draw or lose will still need to beat us next week if somerset beat notts, or if somerset do not beat notts then middx will just need to draw.

lancs will need to draw against warwickshire whether they draw or lose this week (assuming of course that hants win)

However, big rewards for either side if they win.

middx, if they win, win the title

lancs if they win guarantee their status.

Could be a thrilling day tomorrow. will middx set a generous target? will lancs go for whatever they are set?

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 14 2016, 4:36 PM 

Kerrigan gets a wicket with his first ball: Middx effectively 100-2: a collapse and it gets interesting.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 14 2016, 4:40 PM 

And another and a big one....Compton goes!

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 14 2016, 4:41 PM 

....and another....middx 39-3.....interesting

but if kerrigan can do this what will middx spinners be able to do tomorrow?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 14 2016, 5:24 PM 

Well done Rob Jones who I now know about.

I'm puzzled as to why we debate a Middlesex win or draw . What about a lancs win now?

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 14 2016, 7:43 PM 

Just back home after a very good day's play at Old Trafford.
I met up with a Middlesex supporting friend.
Although Yorkshire lost,unsurprisingly, I can report that things are very far from over.
My friend was very anxious indeed about the outcome. The game is very delicately balanced and could still result in a draw or even a Lancashire win.
The pace of play was slow; the wicket seems to dictate this. Lancashire were in very little difficulty and took a lot of winking out. A lad called Jones batted with tremendous composure and maturity for an excellent maiden hundred and was supported first by Livingstone and then by Bailey. Middlesex's advantage was whittled down to less than seventy and they were plainly frustrated.
When it was their turn to bat, they lost wickets attempting to force the pace. Kerrigan bowled an excellent spell at the end of the day. There is some help for the spinner but not to an inordinate extent. This was just good bowling to an over anxious batting side.
Tomorrow Middlesex will have to work very hard to set a target leaving them enough time to force the win. If they try to bat too quickly tomorrow there is a strong chance they will lose too many wickets too quickly.
To be honest, I feel more upbeat about prospects, after seeing what happened today at Old Trafford.
Yorkshire's defeat was a very bad one but with reasonable luck and continued Lancashire obduracy they may still be in touch by the end of tomorrow.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 15 2016, 12:15 PM 

Middx putting their foot on it a bit finally, but you would imagine that they wouldn't really want to be setting Lancs much less than 6 an over. 300 off 50 overs - and then enter Jos Buttler to chase a "par" ODI score!

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 15 2016, 12:57 PM 

Well slow Middlesex batting has played them into a bit of a corner with 61 overs remaining but only 235 ahead. So a declaration too soon could risk losing 5 safe points to try to gain 11 more, which probably would make winning of the title almost a certainty.

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 15 2016, 1:08 PM 

Don't bank on Lancs too much - in the first innings 8 of the 11 batsmen faced just 59 balls between them out of 99 overs.

The other three - Jones, Livingstone and Bailey - faced the other 530-odd deliveries.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

September 15 2016, 1:41 PM 

Middlesex happy to settle for a draw at Old Trafford...

If Peter did decide to go today I wonder what his thoughts are.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 15 2016, 1:49 PM 

With Somerset now contenders I don't blame Middlesex for settling for a draw. If it was just us and them I think it would make more sense taking the risk. Whether they draw or lose doesn't make that much difference to us. If we beat them we finish above them if we don't we finish below them(barring a draw with a strange distribution of bonus points.) Whereas a win for them today could have taken that away from us.

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Sep 15, 2016 1:51 PM

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 15 2016, 2:27 PM 

309 to win in 44 overs.sad.gif

Hope Hameed can get some batting practice.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 15 2016, 2:33 PM 

Buttler is opening!

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 15 2016, 2:34 PM 

Middlesex may have taken a different course if we had Root and JB in the Lords match. Now they even have the bonus of no Lehmann. Nevertheless, a very timid last 24 hours. Surely Lancs will see out 44 overs.

Assuming Middlesex draw, Galey should stick em in at Lords. Best chance is to get some early wickets and put them under pressure. Can't see any way we would not lose early wickets against R-J, Finn et al early in the morning and then the title will be gone. If it is a good batting track it would be a risk to field first, but less of a risk than batting first.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 15 2016, 2:48 PM 

Buttler 24 not out from nine balls in three overs.

Hope Joe root let him win at golf last week in return for a favour today.

Go on Jos

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk