<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

Re: Other games

September 15 2016, 5:20 PM 

Getting tight as CLS now, Batty gone, 8 down , 29 needed.

Is there a precedent for playing a (nearly) contracted player against the ECB's wishes?

I am sure they would find a way to deduct just enough points to give Middx the title if we dared to play JB

stevebluejay
(Login stevebluejay)

September 15 2016, 5:22 PM 

Its funny, but if we had a T20 game or 50 over affair then i bet the ECB would make JB available. The fact that it is a 4 day game of which he will spend a fair bit of time in the pavilion anyway when we are batting, yet, the ECB want him to rest instead, crazy. I'm sure some England players would be chomping at the bit for a game, not just ours.

Fact is, in the last week of the season with no England games and a tour that hasn't even started, the ECB should allow all players to be picked by their affiliated county if they wish to be picked. Therefore nobody has an advantage of disadvantage in the last week regarding team selection and the only thing that could be a lottery is the weather. Too easy to do and makes too much sense for the ECB, but we know they do not care for the counties.

This message has been edited by stevebluejay on Sep 15, 2016 5:23 PM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 15 2016, 5:27 PM 

Allowing one day wicket keeper and now captain Buttler to play for Lancashire and not allow occasional one day player Bairstow to play for Yorkshiire beggars belief. Next they will allow Morgan to play for Middlesex now he has opted out of Bangladesh tour.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 15 2016, 5:32 PM 

A lot of people have spent many hundreds of pounds this year (some thousands) following the team in the championship. The club has a responsibility to them as well as the ECB.

He is not centrally contracted. We need him (our playing resources have changed since the ECB announcement that JB and Root couldn't play). He has had a week/ten day's 'rest'. He should play. Enough is enough.

For what it is worth, I have emailed Mark Arthur to press the case for JB's inclusion in the team next week (politely, I may add).

This message has been edited by EastCoastType on Sep 15, 2016 5:59 PM

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

September 15 2016, 6:34 PM 

Well done, ECT. Perhaps we could start a 38 degrees petition as well.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 15 2016, 6:43 PM 

Great ECT, hope you are successfull.

Our fellow supporters on the COU, have also tried this approach, but if we keep "knocking on the door" it may just open, but not holding my breath.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 15 2016, 6:53 PM 

I agree with Steve, what a cowardly effort from Middlesex today! They had comparatively little to lose- the current gap of 8 & 9pts to Yorkshire and Somerset respectively will likely not be enough if they fail to win their last match while either of those sides do- and everything to gain, as a win today would have effectively sealed the title. I'm amazed they didn't bat more aggressively before lunch and give themselves two sessions to bowl Lancs out. There would be a full-on mutiny on here had Yorkshire done likewise.

Re: potentially ignoring the ECB's edict and picking Bairstow regardless, let's not forget the potential consequences for Jonny too; this would mean him directly convtraening his employer's instructions too, which I doubt would do his England career any good. It's not an option.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Sep 15, 2016 6:54 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 15 2016, 7:05 PM 

Sorry to contradict you JG, but Jonny does not have an England contract yet, so he would not be contravening his employers instructions. YCC employ him.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 15 2016, 7:19 PM 

He has an England incremental contract and they pay him match fees every time he plays. The ECB may not be his ONLY employer but they certainly do employ him. This is a question of semantics anyway, you can't reasonably suggest that he ignores the wishes of the England coaching staff and then expect this to not effect his career..??

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 15 2016, 7:29 PM 

I was not expecting him to ignore the wishes of the England coaching staff, but what would happen if his employer (YCC) asked him to play? They will not do, but I think they still have that right, until he gets a full England contract, to select him if they wish and override the England decision. They will not, as they do not want to rock the boat.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 15 2016, 7:38 PM 

yes JG, he gets match fees for playing for england.

but we pay him a weekly salary whether he plays for us or not.

an incremental contract with england cannot legally prevent him playing for his county.

would jonny be discarded as an england player if he played?

i think not. players have done much worse in the past and still played for england.

Has this ever happened?

I recall Sir Geoffrey turning his back on england to play for yorkshire, then when he felt ready, picked up his england career. i guess that was before england contracts. JB's incremental contract expires at the end of september and as england do not have any games before then he is effectively unemployed. he will surely be given a regular contract starting 1 october but that is as yet unsigned.

Who thinks it would be withdrawn if he plays next week?

Maybe he should make himself unavailable for Bangladesh and then next thursday change his mind happy.gif

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 15 2016, 7:49 PM 

There is nothing wrong with enquiring about Bairstow through official channels, but picking him in contravention of ECB wishes is not the way to do it. If that happened, and there were consequences for his England career, Jonny might quite rightly hold a great deal of resentment towards the club.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 15 2016, 7:52 PM 

I was not expecting him to ignore the wishes of the England coaching staff, but what would happen if his employer (YCC) asked him to play? They will not do, but I think they still have that right, until he gets a full England contract, to select him if they wish and override the England decision. They will not, as they do not want to rock the boat.

sometimes rocking the boat is needed.

If rosa parks had not rocked the boat, then blacks would still be treated as second class citizens in america.

To hell with the ecb, lets rock the boat, i am sure it would receive general support from the cricketing world, would elevate the status of county cricket and would give the sky commentators something to talk about during the rain breaks next week.

The fact is, we need him, we pay his wages and he can have a good long rest after thursday.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 15 2016, 8:52 PM 

I think comparing Bairstow with a hero of the civil rights movement is slightly over-egging it, but I take your point!

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 15 2016, 9:11 PM 

I think trying to answer the question would need someone to read the contracts he's signed with the club and the ecb!

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk