<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Leeds (Day 2)

September 13 2016, 2:19 PM 

heavy rain here in blackpool....trying to send it to ot......but i think they need a monsoon.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 13 2016, 2:51 PM 

No danger of that at Headingley I'm afraid- it's roasting hot with not a cloud in the sky. The patch of shade at the back of the Trueman Enclosure looks to be the most sought-after spectating position this afternoon.

Really impressed with Gregory here: he looks to have a nice, compact technique and times the ball very sweetly, he's looked totally untroubled in progressing to 50 and is even driving Siddy to distraction now.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 13 2016, 2:58 PM 

Off for bad light at Old Trafford, rain forecast too. Regardless of what happens here we could well still be in with a chance in the final match at Lords when we really don't deserve to be.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

September 13 2016, 3:05 PM 

I don't think so Tom. Middlesex should have more than enough time with the next two days looking set fair. What a disappointing way to end the season sad.gif

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 13 2016, 3:06 PM 

I'm so glad I didn't go today since what I feared has come about.
I really don't enjoy watching our much vaunted bowling attack being carted by pretty average batsman.
I know it ain't over till it's over but we'll have to apply ourselves from here to simply escape with a draw.
Somerset have totally outplayed us so far & will get max bonus points to our 2.
We'll easily be 300 behind on first innings, could be 400 or even 500.

This message has been edited by Old_Feller2 on Sep 13, 2016 3:08 PM

(Login matthefish2002)

September 13 2016, 3:08 PM 

Bad light at Old Trafford you say? I am grabbing at any straw at the moment.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 13 2016, 3:09 PM 

I've had to come away from the game for an our or so - will be heading back for the last hour before picking the wife up from work. Will be a relief! The Somerset innings really puts our first dig into context. Even if batting conditions have been perfect today, a score of 400+ seems par on that deck. Sidebottom has been brilliant today. So skillful and streets ahead of anyone else. Plunkett bowled with real venom, but the other bowlers on display have not looked like taking wickets and have not been able to contain at all.

I will reiterate what others have said. Patto is worth his weight in gold on days like this - Plunkett adds a different dimension but without anyone else able to bowl longish spells and hold things up, this particular attack will always struggle on a deck such as this.

Surely when we bat second time round we will not capitulate in the same way that we did in the first innings - but equally it is hard to see us battting for the best part of five sessions. Time will tell.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 13 2016, 3:17 PM 

Is there only me that gets a false sense of optimism after every wicket? Well done Rash!

We are only a little over 200 behind and they are down to their last three after all...

At this rate we might even avoid the follow o... oh wait...

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Sep 13, 2016 3:18 PM

Haxbyite
(Login Haxbyite)

September 13 2016, 3:21 PM 

Well my first day of cricket this year. Luckily the wife is enjoying the cricket. I'm not confident that we can save this. Cloud is coming over and I have the impression that the ball is keeping low.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

September 13 2016, 3:55 PM 

450+ required in the second innings, this will prove wether we still believe we can be champions

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 13 2016, 4:08 PM 

do we really want this last wicket, with the light so bad?

well we got it, now have 22 overs to bat light/rain permitting

This message has been edited by Blackpooltyke on Sep 13, 2016 4:10 PM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 13 2016, 4:08 PM 

Well at least we have secured 3 bowling bonus points 😀 And kept lead under 250!

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Sep 13, 2016 4:14 PM

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 13 2016, 4:12 PM 

I think you're right Peter, it's one of those bitter-sweet wickets. Better than them putting on another fifty I suppose but I wasn't too excited about us coming out to bat this afternoon.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 13 2016, 4:13 PM 

Light is fine at the moment but clouds rolling in. Would surprise me if it rained.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 13 2016, 4:14 PM 

Interesting tactics from Groenewald, trying to repeatedly smash Rashid with Gregory on 70* at the other end and only 10 to go for the next bonus point; see, it is not only Yorkshire who 'carelessly' miss out on bonus points Peter!

Typically the clouds have come across, they've put the floodlights but I can only think it's as a precaution as the light isn't that bad at this stage.

(Login matthefish2002)

September 13 2016, 4:17 PM 

I want to see some proper Boycott type digging in batting until the close tonight by this opening pair. If we are going to lose this one and our Championship with it lets not go down with a whimper.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 13 2016, 4:18 PM 

Although they should go on and win I thought that middx were pretty poor only managing 50 odd in 20 overs to secure their third point. Two down this morning they must have been hoping for five an over to get their fourth batting point.

Sun out again

This message has been edited by Martinh00 on Sep 13, 2016 4:19 PM

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 13 2016, 4:22 PM 

Well JG, except at least groenwald was trying to get his side to 400.

granted he had a 70 odd not out batsman with him, but i guess he was keen to get bowling....was he right? will tell you in an hour.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 13 2016, 4:30 PM 

If, and granted its a big if, but if we can are still batting by lunch on day 4, whatever we set somerset, they will be obliged to chase, as its a must win game for them.

I think whatever happens at ot, we need to make a serious attempt at trying to win this game if we get a chance to.

Scenario 1. middx win, then we have to win to have a chance of winning the title.

Scenario 2. middx draw. then we may as well try to win as a loss or draw will still mean winner takes all at lords, .....but if we can pull off a win we only need to draw at lords, basically, nothing to really lose, unless we are scared of finishing behind somerset.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 13 2016, 4:41 PM 

If Middlesex win then there's not a massive difference between a draw and a win for us. Whereas defeat would likely be terminal.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk