<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Leeds (Day 2)

September 13 2016, 4:53 PM 

Oh dear, Lees caught by Allenby again - and he hasn't started bowling his doddlers yet!

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 13 2016, 5:09 PM 

yes of course you are right dwight.

if middx win then we take no chances and secure a draw, if middx don't win then we do whatever we can to try to win.

be nice to be in a position for this to be a consideration

2 down now, beginning to look terminal.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 13 2016, 5:17 PM 

This is painful in the extreme

(Login GMWhite)

September 13 2016, 5:23 PM 

Need a solid partnership now taking us to lunch tomorrow at least. Only hope is to get out of jail with a draw taking 8 points. Think Middlesex will take 22 points v Lancs. Then need to defeat Middlesex by 16pts. Possible by matching or beating their bonus points in a victory but don't think this scenario will unfold. Think our game will be over late afternoon tomorrow.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 13 2016, 5:24 PM 

Pity Siddy is 38. Has come back from injury and taken 30 wickets at 19, with one scalp about every 7 overs.

Dizzy is going to leave us after 5 very good years, but not necessarily in better shape. Not all his fault, with all the call-ups, of course, but I think the last 12 months have not been well used.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 13 2016, 5:25 PM 

Gale's last hurrah? Young Lehmann has started like train - might as well take it to their bowlers. Wondering where we would be if we had bowled first with Bairstow in team!

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Sep 13, 2016 5:35 PM

(Login GMWhite)

September 13 2016, 5:28 PM 

The cynical amongst us would suggest that this was a big factor in his decision!

stevebluejay
(Login stevebluejay)

September 13 2016, 5:28 PM 

Galey says often enough it's not good enough and uses the word poor and yet his contribution has been minimal this season, barely scraped any runs together at all in the one format he now plays. Has been a great captain for us but this season he has almost wasted the use of a shirt.

Disappointing end for him if we get thumped in this game and go to Middlesex with no title to play for, hardly leading from the front. Wonder if he'll look at things in the cold light of day with no more Dizzy around either and retire?

Gary Watton
(Login GaryFulford)

September 13 2016, 5:30 PM 

That sinking feeling. We are just being comprehensively outplayed by a better team. We have been carrying Gale for too long now and it is time for his faithful to face facts.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

September 13 2016, 5:34 PM 

Me and my neighbour was on Tuesday morning discussing what we should do if we had the opportunity to decide, we looked at the weather forecasts on the BBC/ Leeds Met and the Weather channel and both came to the obvious conclusion of get them in we also took into consideration the forecast in Manchester. Couldn't believe that Gale decided we batted on a cloudy humid morning , the 4 day forecasts just couldn't have been considered in my opinion.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 13 2016, 5:41 PM 

Papag: "Couldn't believe that Gale decided we batted on a cloudy humid morning , the 4 day forecasts just couldn't have been considered in my opinion."

One possibility is that Gale (and others) are in denial about the state of the batting.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 13 2016, 5:50 PM 

when do yorkshire ever take notice of the weather forecast? i wonder if they ever actually check it

stevebluejay
(Login stevebluejay)

September 13 2016, 5:53 PM 

Gale seems to have been in denial about his batting all season, hasn't made a contribution hardly at all and is still probably pencilling himself in as first name on the team sheet. Advantages of captaincy i suppose!

Even if we lose this as appears likely, i hope we can at least put up a fight and get a big second innings score and make Somerset bat again and chase down at least a hundred or so and make them earn it.

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 13 2016, 6:01 PM 

Gale a thousand short of his pre season target, never shown any form all season, sure he'd have stood down if we'd had any other options but the only other option Leaning has had an even worst season

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 13 2016, 6:02 PM 

Meant as a batsman not as captain when referring to Leaning obviously

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 13 2016, 6:06 PM 

I don't think anyone on here is blind to the bald statistics that Gale has had a terrible season and that there are obviously consequences to that. But I think it is extremely unfair to suggest that Gale himself is in denial about his own batting and plays on as captain regardless. He said a few weeks ago that if there were alternatives he would step down. Unfortunately the alternatives (Leaning, Rhodes) have not been any better. I can't think of any other county captain that has ever dropped himself to accommodate a better batsman as Gale did to accommodate Root. Gale is a team man above all else.

I suspect that he will step down at the end of the season and I wouldn't be surprised if that was always his plan (ideally with the three in a row). I am sure he will do this now, if only because it resolves the issue of form and the perception that he is blocking better players. Whether he thinks his poor form this season is terminal (remember he scored 1000 runs last year) or a loss of form is something only he must know deep down. So, he could continue as a batsman and gain selection on merit (still relatively young) or retire completely. Maybe the club would welcome his presence next year as we get a new coach, or maybe there is a feeling that we need to have a fresh start. Either is fine with me.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 13 2016, 6:13 PM 

Martin - Gale is aware of his own batting problems, i was talking more about denial about the overall top order batting strength (or lack of it). And, i was only suggesting it as a possible explanation for a decision to bat that Papag found inexplicable.

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 13 2016, 6:15 PM 

Is anyone capable of batting? More poor contributions from the usual suspects.

stevebluejay
(Login stevebluejay)

September 13 2016, 6:19 PM 

I like Gale a lot, he is Yorkshire to the core, i certainly would never slight him in the least, so if i came across as harsh with criticising his season then it wasn't meant like that at all. It's just that he hasn't hit the heights as previous seasons, but he isn't the only one and yes there has hardly been much in the way of an alternative to take his place. I'm sure that nobody is more frustrated with the lack of runs than the man himself.

I also never would believe that he would play purely as he is the captain, that was a tongue in cheek remark.

For those who weren't sure about Gale's commitment to the Yorkshire cause, a viewing of last years Cricketing Yorkshire would dispel those thoughts.

I wonder if next season, he stands down as skipper and is maybe the new coach's understudy, or maybe he just takes a break from the club for the time being?

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 13 2016, 6:20 PM 

Gale had a good season last year scoring over 1000 championship runs and I struggle to imagine he has lost all that quality in the last twelve months. He's also only 32 and he's not exactly falling a part so I think it's more a case of form than fitness. Where would we be without Bressy and Siddy this season who are both a number of years older. Look how many older batsmen are performing well in the championship this year and imagine if they had retired when they had one bad year. We also have to face the fact that we don't always have much choice in way of replacements with Rhodes and Leaning being even poorer recently.

For those reasons I would prefer Gale to take time away from the first team to see if he can regain some form and always be there if we're a batsman light. Who knows we might be grateful in four years time when he's still scoring runs and he's our Trescothick, Bell, Trott, Klinger or whoever. Whether or not he would be willing to fight for his place or he'd like to go out on a high (with the exception of this final season) is up to him.

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Sep 13, 2016 6:23 PM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk