<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Leeds (Day 2)

September 13 2016 at 3:17 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Sep 12-15, 2016 - at Headingley, Leeds

"D-Day," "high noon," or "put up or shut up" - any way you look at it our chances of a third Championship in a row are on the line today.

Yorkshire 145 Somerset 107/1 (27 ov)
Somerset trail by 38 runs with 9 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Weather

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Leeds (Day 2)

September 13 2016, 7:25 AM 

Well today can't be as bad as yesterday with bat or ball. But the players all know that too and with Dizzys departure, Pattos family illness, gale on a tightrope as skipper and a few looking over their shoulders as we look to sign a domestic player for next season you hope there are enough incentives for the bowlers to turn things around today.

Looking back we have done well to still be challenging for the title bearing in mind absences of England players. I have given up any hope that we ever see Root in a Yorkshire shirt again unless it's for a glorified pre season net ahead of the first summer test. But it's galling to see Bairstow twiddling his thumbs on the boundary when he is fit and well and needs to keep on keeping to get better and it's a pain to lose so many to the one day squad and see them not selected when we have games. But our biggest miss this season has been Williamson who is class and right handed to break up our top order of lefties.

Leaning and Rhodes have gone backwards other then jacks t20 cameos and Fisher has been a drinks carrier only. We missed our best opening pair earlier in the season due to injury and relied on Coad and Shaw at one stage. Our lack of back up for Rashid left us dangerously exposed as Carver not yet ready for first team and the cupboard was bare. I think it's good to get Rafiq back but how many four day wickets has he taken?

So all in all the fact we are where we are suggests we are punching well above our weight and we have muddled through some tough challenges and some that other counties will never experience. Can we muddle through another day today and take 9 wickets by tea? Any later and Somerset may have too many runs.

Failing that, where's George Davis when you need him?!

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 13 2016, 7:46 AM 

Well said Third Umpire, an excellent summary. Maybe our lads will come out today fired up to prove us all wrong and go on to win the match - unlikely, but plenty of time remaining to achieve another remarkable "Houdini" act and confound us all 😀

(Login dpressed)

September 13 2016, 8:16 AM 

It's interesting that whenever Yorkshire get into 'problems' at Headingley George Davis gets a mention. This certainly happened yesterday after tea.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 13 2016, 8:17 AM 

I haven't done the maths but:

We lose this game and get three points.

Middlesex and Lancs draw and end up with 11 pts

Somerset beat Notts next week (21pts)

Yorkshire beat Middlesex (14pts more than Middlesex from the game)

Are we champions?

About to make sandwiches, my season probably ends today (baring a last minute drive to Lords next Friday), not the final day I was expecting.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 13 2016, 8:18 AM 

Probably the only days cricket in the last 5 years, I am not looking forward to.

My head and all logic fears an absolute hammering. Sunny and hot, perfect batting conditions, two well set batsmen and a very long batting line-up. 450/500 by close of play, and Somerset still batting??

My heart remains hopeful, but taking plenty of reading to pass the time away while Tres, Rogers and co pile on the runs.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

today

September 13 2016, 8:29 AM 

You said it Stu not looking forward to it at all but can't play as bad as yesterday?

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 13 2016, 8:30 AM 

I'll be following from afar sadly.
Yorkshires fortunes seem to have declined in tandem with my ability to go and watch them play. Perhaps its all my fault.
All i know is that the fat lady is still in her chair and hasnt even begun clearing her throat.
This is a four day game with a lot of cricket still to play and we certainly aren't beaten yet.
This team have surprised us before and they will do again.
Keep the faith.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 13 2016, 9:29 AM 

I'm not going today so there's every chance we'll do much better than yesterday when I was there.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 13 2016, 9:41 AM 

Agree with everything third ump sais.

Yesterday was my last days cricket for this year. I'll be keeping a closer I on the Middlesex match for the rest of the week. To Simplify our championship chances, if Middlesex don't win, all we have to do is beat them at Lords. Doesn't sound so bad when you put it like that.

Of course Somerset could still win it in that scenario but they would be dependant on getting a lot of bonus points out of this and their final match.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

September 13 2016, 10:39 AM 

Looking on the positive side of things, at least if Somerset get a win in our game and Middlesex draw it makes it a genuine 3 horse race in the last round of games. If it was a 2 horse race and we went into it 10 points or so behind they would be able to prepare a 600v600 wicket to take the title, with Somerset within striking distance that isn't the case. There that's the positive spin on things!!

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 13 2016, 10:46 AM 

We shouldn't discount a middx loss. And they will struggle to get more than 3 batting points judging by the pace of their innings thus far.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 13 2016, 10:51 AM 

Well, thats Rogers gone

well bowled sidders, now come on lads lets get a few more

...and now hildreth, come on, lets keep this up, get them all out by lunch!

This message has been edited by Blackpooltyke on Sep 13, 2016 10:56 AM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 13 2016, 10:55 AM 

Seems unlikely that Middlesex will get more than 3 batting points, so could only be 23 points ahead of us if we lose with no bonus points. So it is important that we get at least 2 bowling points today to give us a fighting chance at Lords ie if we bowled them out for under 200, got maximum batting points and win it could be neck and neck three way finish. However, if we manage to get a draw against Somerset, we will just need to win at Lords - simple 😀 Wow, come on Ryan and Jack - more please! Good start for us in both games!

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Sep 13, 2016 10:59 AM

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 13 2016, 10:55 AM 

Hmm, not the best leave from Hildreth...

(Login matthefish2002)

September 13 2016, 10:59 AM 

Is that a glimmer of hope I can see?

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 13 2016, 11:00 AM 

Old Feller (Login Old_Feller2)
Posted Sep 13, 2016 9:29 AM

I'm not going today so there's every chance we'll do much better than yesterday when I was there.

Told you so. Everybody on here should copper up & send me the cash to stay away.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 13 2016, 11:04 AM 

Come on Sid - lets have another couple straight away......!!!!

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 13 2016, 11:04 AM 

lol, yeah, lets send you to bangladesh or somewhere

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 13 2016, 11:17 AM 

Sadly Trescothick is sailing on serenely

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk