<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Leeds (Day 3)

September 14 2016 at 1:32 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Sep 12-15, 2016 - at Headingley, Leeds

Yorkshire 145 & 57-3 (22 overs) Somerset 390
Yorkshire trail by 188 runs with 7 wickets remaining

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Weather
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Leeds (Day 3)

September 14 2016, 8:04 AM 

Yesterday was billed as the day of reckoning, but i think its been postponed to today.

We absolutely must of course bat the day out and then you never know.

But perhaps all eyes will be at old trafford, after yesterday's deluge, will they be able to play? if they do can the lancys somehow avoid the follow on? and more importantly avoid defeat?

Yesterday, we had one poster congratulating middlesex, will he be joined by many more today? or can we possibly get to lords with a winner takes all scenario?

All these questions should be answered today.

Remember last year when middlesex spoiled our celebration party, can we spoil their's this year?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 14 2016, 8:21 AM 

I read somewhere yesterday that it was in our interests to lose to Somerset and then if Middlesex beat Lancashire they could still win the title if they beat Notts next week and Middlesex only draw with us.

This would prevent Middlesex (or the lords suits) preparing a road of a track to ensure a draw and by providing a result track it would keep our door open especially with the toss advantage. We might turn need hapless Notts to not roll over against Somerset who will of course prepare a track like last week to guarantee a positive result probably inside two days with Bess recalled alongside Leach. Bess must be miffed to be dropped after an impressive debut last week.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 14 2016, 8:36 AM 

Only problem with that is that we go to lords 20 points adrift and so even a win would probably not be enough to win the title.

Besides, middlesex have no say in what type of track is provided, thats down to the MCC.

not only would we have to restrict middx to a score below 200 we would have to score 300-5 on a result pitch?

This message has been edited by Blackpooltyke on Sep 14, 2016 8:50 AM

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 14 2016, 9:35 AM 

You would have to say perfect bowling conditions this morning.

So, have I got this right?

If we lose, Lancashire draw and Somerset win, the points tallies will be:

Middlesex 216
Yorkshire 204
Somerset 203 (they may rue their missed bonus point!)

So a win for us would secure us the title UNLESS Somerset also managed a win gaining them two? more points than us.

This may be hypothetical of course and probably is but interesting nonetheless. I suspect our hopes rest on a waterlogged pitch at Manchester and no or little play today..

Middlesex would win if they secured a draw with a reasonable haul of bonus points

BUT waterlogged pitch looks unlikely according to other posters!

This message has been edited by Martinh00 on Sep 14, 2016 9:37 AM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 14 2016, 9:44 AM 

Middlesex 213.

Which is a big difference because a draw may not be enough for them to win the title, if Somerset were to win.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 14 2016, 9:45 AM 

given that scenario somerset would only need to equal our points tally by virtue of losing one match fewer than us

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 14 2016, 9:59 AM 

If the current two Lancashire batsmen are still batting at 3pm then it might get interesting again. Long shot though. And what prospect is there of our batting line-up dealing with Finn, R-J, Rayner and Murtagh at Lords anyway?

Eastriding
(Login eastriding)

September 14 2016, 10:16 AM 

Once we start clutching at straws perhaps that means days of reckoning are behind us.

Sad to see our worst performance under Jason Gillespie in his penultimate match, maybe that's a reason to think he chose the right time to go.

Time to re-asses and look forward not back

Phil Simmons is available, did a great job at Ireland, actually did a great job with the West Indies not that the WICB would necessarily agree...

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 14 2016, 10:18 AM 

Thanks Dwight - I always think its 8 points for the draw not 5.

So yes this does make a big difference.

I would have thought that if Lancashire were batting at all by 3pm this afternoon (even if 9 down) then a win for Middlesex becomes much more difficult. Lancashire will be maybe 50 runs from parity at that point, so Middlesex will have to bat for at least a couple of sessions to set a target. All hypothetical of course but still interesting to speculate.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 14 2016, 10:29 AM 

Allenby out for Soms, as I recall he damaged a finger catching Lees yesterday.

Wish him better in a day or two

Papag
(Login Papag1)

September 14 2016, 10:39 AM 

Quote - You would have to say perfect bowling conditions this morning.

Yep conditions very similar to Monday when winning the toss was so important so we could get them in , Oh wait a minute happy.gif

(Login Harrogate50)

September 14 2016, 10:42 AM 

Think Murtagh is unavailable as he is away with Ireland

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 14 2016, 10:48 AM 

Papag (Login Papag1)
Posted Sep 14, 2016 10:39 AM

Quote - You would have to say perfect bowling conditions this morning.

Yep conditions very similar to Monday when winning the toss was so important so we could get them in , Oh wait a minute happy.gif

But they wanted to bat so I can only imagine the uproar on here if we'd put them in & they'd made the 390 they scored & we then were bowled out for 145.
Batting first was the right thing to do but the batsmen then let everyone down.

(Login Fraisse10)

September 14 2016, 11:20 AM 

Allenby now back and bowling!

Lyth gone 151 short of a double century.

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 14 2016, 11:26 AM 

Lyth gone sadly, looking at the stats for this game Lees, Ballance and Gale and have managed the grand sum of 44 runs between them in both innings. So here's hoping for a career best from Rashid and young Lehman.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

September 14 2016, 11:34 AM 

Well OF you may be correct but most people / fans i know would have looked more closely at the weather forecasts which im not sure we do and then we may have gone with my view on Monday morning which was to get them in and us to hopefully bat on Tuesday where all the forecasts were for brilliant sun,But we will never know what the outcome may have been if we had put them in and can only speculate.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

September 14 2016, 11:42 AM 

I was at the ground on Monday morning & was pleased that we'd won the toss & would be batting.
Even the loss of Lyth early was not too worrying since it was exactly the same vs Durham but I don't think anyone believed that Somerset would bowl as well as they did nor that we would bat as badly.
The final blow was the dismissal of Lehmann to an horrendous shot on the stroke of lunch.

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

September 14 2016, 11:43 AM 

Being at Headingley yesterday was tough enough but following it on Cricinfo today is excruciating. I think back to Rashid and Maxwell at Scarborough and blimey how we could do with a similar effort now. The contrast between the Durham game and this one could not be more stark.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 14 2016, 11:49 AM 

Way things are going we won't have to switch between games on Cricinfo for much longer sad.gif

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk