<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Leeds (Day 3)

September 14 2016, 4:05 PM 

Am I right that there is not much difference between defeat and a draw for middlesex, either way if/when we lose middx next week will need to beat us if somerset beat notts, or a draw if somerset fail to win.

Might they then risk defeat by giving lancs a run chase?

The difference between draw and defeat for lancs is also negligible, they would still need a draw against warwickshire or hampshire to fail to win, but if they won this week they are safe.

So its really in both lancs and middx interests to win the game.

you know, think i might bob along to ot tomorrow, be the first time i have seen a county game that does not involve yorkshire.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 14 2016, 4:11 PM 

Wonder if we can bowl Somerset all out for 20 happy.gif

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 14 2016, 4:15 PM 

Some good spirit shown towards the end, and with 6 of our batsmen contributing a paltry 33 runs between them. A number of them for next season will need to step up or step out, as we can't be carrying passengers next season.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 14 2016, 4:20 PM 

think its time we released egham, maybe its time for him to retire?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 14 2016, 4:20 PM 

Interesting one Peter, i think they will err on the side of caution. A draw leaves them 10 ahead of Somerset. So a high scoring draw could be enough against us, even if Somerset win, especially if Somerset prepare a track as poor as their last.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

September 14 2016, 4:23 PM 

My wife says she's not ready for me retiring sadly Peter happy.gif
61 next month but I'm off at 65 as that's what I signed up for when I left school all those years ago
Next season I'll post what I think not try to take a wicket if that helps happy.gif

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 14 2016, 4:24 PM 

Middlesex won't risking losing this, an 11 point draw could be enough for them last game yet, so be daft to throw the draw points away here

Interesting to see what sort of pitch Somerset prepare next week, one like last week they won't be getting many batting bonus points

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 14 2016, 4:32 PM 

well i hear there is an opening on the northants board for a useful fate tempter.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 14 2016, 4:59 PM 

Middlesex are not exactly pushing it are the? 55/4 off 24 overs. A wobble

The permutations are complex, but I think we can safely say that the better result for us at OT is a drawn game since we would probably (I say probably) win the championship if we won the game - and the bonus points would not be an issue barring a freak result. A Middlesex win at OT and we would need a win plus a significantly better differential of bonus points

Somerset can of course still win in some scenarios (drawn game at OT suits them best) but can they might need to score a full haul of batting points and how likely is that

On balance, still pleased to be going to HQ next week

This message has been edited by Martinh00 on Sep 14, 2016 5:05 PM

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

maths

September 14 2016, 5:03 PM 

if Middlesex draw 11 if Middlesex loose 6 .5 points in the run in is a lot

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

Good News!

September 14 2016, 5:10 PM 

We are top of the table wink.gif

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

Day 3

September 14 2016, 6:28 PM 

Days 2 and 3 were pretty much level. All the damage done on Monday.
Lehmann was excellent today, showing he can bat for 5 hours in restrained mode. Surely he will play for Australia. I hope we are already negotiating for his services for next season.
Good innings also from Plunkett, nice mix of aggression and orthodox play.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Day 3

September 14 2016, 6:37 PM 

Not sure I agree re day two.

Still once again we can have a joke about the day four thread. But not quite as funny as usual for some reason

(Login MikeBrc)

September 14 2016, 6:47 PM 

Just reading the CricInfo report:

"After the match, it was revealed that Lehmann will not be available for Yorkshire's title decider because he has been called back to Australia by South Australia in preparation for the new domestic season."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/1057037.html

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 14 2016, 6:57 PM 

Just about tops things off that news.

Any chance we can get AB de Villiers for the last match?

Although one of our former overseas players has just scored 256 not out for India B so perhaps he could get over by the weekend

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Sep 14, 2016 7:23 PM

Papag
(Login Papag1)

September 14 2016, 7:19 PM 

The CC is losing credibility wonder if any side in its history has had so many players made unavailable in a season by the cricketing establishment as YCCC have this season.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 14 2016, 7:29 PM 

Willey will probably come into the side, just need to hope a win will be enough for the title again.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 14 2016, 7:32 PM 

So no Lehmann v Middlesex.

So our "middle order" next week will be Leaning(av 17), Gale (av 20) & Ballance who has recently reverted to his early season appalling form.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 14 2016, 7:45 PM 

I think it will be Willey who replaces Lehmann, not Leaning.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 14 2016, 8:04 PM 

Not a lot to chose between the two on batting form but Willey would bring some aggression and another bowling option so maybe not the worst move

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk