<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login WhiteShamrock)

Re: Day 3

September 14 2016, 8:07 PM 

Interesting to see that South Australia don't regard a winner-takes-all First Class match at Lords between the top 2 Division One teams as being adequate preparation for the Sheffield Shield! (Particularly given the strength of Middlesex's bowling attack - one can only assume that South Australia have lined up the likes of Starc and Steyn to bowl at Jake in the Adelaide nets.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 14 2016, 8:13 PM 

I'm not sure many Australians have ever rated the county championship, at least those who haven't played or coached in it don't.

Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

September 14 2016, 8:54 PM 

It really does sum up our season that Lehmann leaves just after getting a hundred

And with such small margins this year all those injuries, Rashid missing due to not playing for England etc. could have made all the difference. If we'd had Siddy available all season, we may have won the title by now.

All things considered it's been a great effort in all formats this season and its effectively a play-off final at Lord's next week, unless Middlesex win tomorrow.

Excited and nervous, but I have faith in the lads to send Dizzy off in the best possible way. Come on Yorkshire!

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

September 14 2016, 9:04 PM 

Yorkshire's leading 2016 CC batsmen (averages), none of whom will apparently be available for the Middlesex match"

Bairstow 88.83 (not available; resting)
Root 80.00 (not available; resting)
Lehmann 54.86 (left the team)
"\"\""

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 14 2016, 9:06 PM 

Up to the others to step up then isn't it, nothing we can do about it

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

September 14 2016, 9:09 PM 

For all the moaning about losing players, fact is those left have not been good enough. There's no reason why Lees, Lyth, Ballance and Leaning couldn't have "stepped up" and made up the runs. They've proved they're capable in previous years.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

September 14 2016, 9:33 PM 

Let's not confuse "moaning" with making honest, objective comments.
"\"\""

(Login dpressed)

September 14 2016, 10:42 PM 

I'm surprised to find that both Lyth & Lees have scored 1,000 Championship runs so can't be classed as failures. Sadly this has been a few big scores and lots of small ones.

Ballance had a rotten start, then managed to get a ton in the first Scarborough match. The 'faithful' recognised it as the start of finding form and joked about Gary being picked for England. Sadly Team England just saw the 100 & picked Ballance for the next test. As anyone who'd actually watched Gary bat would have predicted it wasn't a success. IMO if England had left Ballance with us he'd have been ready to tour this winters.

So you can add another one to the list of batsmen we've been deprived of

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

September 15 2016, 12:01 AM 

Let's not make excuses either. Our team should be, and has been just about, good enough to compete with Middlesex etc. If we fail it will be because our perfectly capable top order hasn't been able to produce enough runs consistently.

SteveH
(Login 4in4)

September 15 2016, 8:11 AM 

Well, not a bad result for a team with mediocre batsmen, bowling dinky dobblers, and with an spinner 'so many people saying he's underrated that (s)he's actually become overrated'. However, congratulations to Dave Morton with his warning 'Beware Jack Leach'.

Was impressed with Lehman and the afternoon session had me worried as it looked like there could be a lead of around 150 which could have been interesting. However, always thought once we broke that partnership things would look up, and the way Plunkett plays, that was always on the cards. Just surprised we got Lehman first.

Thought Leach was superb - a wicket taker (not just at Taunton) and apart from a few lusty blows from Plunkett, very difficult to get away. Also Trego bowled a great spell - no wickets but kept it tight and the pressure on.

Anyway, hoping for a draw at OT and see what transpires in the last games.

Looks like we might be getting Steve Davies for next season - a bit hard on his namesake Ryan, but after the debacle of losing both Buttler and Keiswetter with no solid replacement, hope it comes off.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 15 2016, 8:32 AM 

Yes Leach is deceptive but that may be due to his appearance which clouds his obvious ability.

I suspect when he turns up at the game some may confuse him for the team scorer but 50 wickets as a spinner in div 1 should not be sniffed at whatever the tracks.

Another Tuffers or Monty though as I suspect his batting and fielding may not help with international recognition and the constant need for three dimensional players

SteveH
(Login 4in4)

September 15 2016, 8:49 AM 

Batting not so good (Ave just under 12), but he is an excellent fielder. Read some comments on this this forum and in reports - he ain't no Tuffers in the field. Don't get the comment about his appearance. He may look 40 but he's only 25 and I'm not sure what a spinner should look like - can't all be Shane Warnes.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 15 2016, 7:17 PM 

Leach did record good figures so full credit to him; typically he didn't actually bowl when I was there so I'm still yet to see him bowl live. Still have my reservations as other bowlers have had good figures over a small number of games without amounting to much- e.g. Kerrigan- and Rayner has better figures this season despite playing on less spin-friendly pitches, but he's certainly going the right way about building a good case for himself.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk