<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login Jacobus24)

Re: Batting Next Season

September 14 2016, 8:15 PM 

Hodd is failing the team and the club in all formats, common sense should prevail. My faith in Moxon isn't very high but hopefully he will address this problem.

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 14 2016, 8:18 PM 

Hodd has had a few decent innings, the one against Notts was crucial, ideally would like a better keeper batsman but who is out there can you name some alternatives

(Login Jacobus24)

September 14 2016, 8:29 PM 

If Duckett has ambition he will sign but that would also depend on us trying to sign him. Dilshan has been a keeper batsman, whether this signing is possible i doubt we'll ever find out.

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 14 2016, 8:34 PM 

Don't think Duckett is keen to keep, he has not kept much this season, would like to sign him though, would benefit his career testing himself in division one, big ask for somebody batting in the top 3 to keep as well especially in 4 day cricket

Dilshan is 40 years old, past his best now, don't remember him keeping

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 14 2016, 8:36 PM 

Dilshan? Do me a favour.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 14 2016, 8:43 PM 

Sarfraz Ahmed would be a gun signing.

Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

September 14 2016, 9:00 PM 

It's far from a crisis. We've got to two one-day semi-finals for probably the first time ever, and face a play-off to potentially win the title again.

Compared to the last two seasons we've underperformed, but when you consider the injuries, international call-ups that have plagued the season and any chance if a consistent line-up, I think we've done very well

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 14 2016, 9:45 PM 

I suspect the club is looking for a quality domestic signing if it can (a batsman). If they also happen to keep wicket then this is a bonus. By insisting on a wicket keeper we would be limiting our choices because I don't think the club are in a position to sign a wicket keeper, a batsman and an overseas pro - where is the money coming from for that? In any event all of the obvious choices are either spoken for or unavailable. Given Brooks and Willey being at the club, I suspect if Duckett did want to come we would stand a very good chance of signing him, but the fact is that he has stated several times that he does not want to come.

My own view is that a quality keeper with a better batting record is a "nice to have". Overall our numbers 7-11 in our typical team are a stronger batting line up than many other teams enjoy, and compensate for Hodd not being a wizz with the bat. That isnt to say that we had a choice of a stronger wicket keeper batsman we shouldnt bite their hand off, but I just dont think it is perhaps as much of an issue as others suggest. Having a top six firing on all cylinders is.

I should also say that our record in signing domestic players since JG joined us has been pretty good. I recall that it when it was a choice between Brooks and Harris, most cricket watchers felt that Harris had more potential. What has he done in the last four years?

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 14 2016, 9:55 PM 

Oh dear.
This is a horrible thread and,sadly, such contributions are becoming far too common.
Robust discussion of valid topics is admirable and healthy.
Wit, charm and intelligence is an added enrichment.
These qualities have distinguished the site. Please let's try to reassert them and avoid trashy, angry vitriol.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 14 2016, 10:00 PM 

Tyke 1950: Hear hear to your previous comment.

This thread is somewhat apt on the day of the ECB 'city' T20 vote. Not good.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 14 2016, 10:08 PM 

Gale and Hodd need to do the job that is required, so far this season they haven't.

This message has been edited by Jacobus24 on Sep 14, 2016 10:11 PM

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

September 15 2016, 9:02 AM 

I think the balance of a team needs 5 batsmen 2 all rounders and then a tail of 4. We should have 5 batsmen, Rashid and Bresnan as all rounders and the accept Hodd as a number 8. This isn't a problem in my view.

What I would like is a batsman who bowls seam. Like McGrath (Anthony not Glenn). This would just give us something a bit different. Rhodes could have been the player but he has struggled this year.

This message has been edited by WR_Metcalfe on Sep 15, 2016 9:09 AM

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 15 2016, 9:43 AM 

Surely that man is Willey? We seem to have used him much less in the CC than I would have expected. Or is he the new Bressie?

This message has been edited by Fraisse10 on Sep 15, 2016 9:44 AM

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 15 2016, 9:54 AM 

We need to resolve the key position of 3 . Ballance is better at 4 or 5 . Ideal option for 3 would be Kane if he were to be available for whole or at least most of the summer . If Kane is not viable i would go with Pujara . He has played for us before and is a class act at 3 who makes big hundreds .
Jake Lehmann if the above are not available but he wont solve the number 3 problem .

Someone has mentioned the Pakistan wicketkeeper Sarfraz- good signing for the OD games perhaps ? or the whole season ?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 15 2016, 9:59 AM 

Although his first class average isnt bad (27.69) most of Willey's runs have been made in the second division, and his average is significantly worse than say Rashid - who would normally bat at 7 if we had Bairstow in the side. He is clearly a good striker of the ball, but he comes across like someone who will get you the odd quick fire 80 if the luck is going his way, but otherwise can struggle. He certainly doesn't feel like a top six batsman.

I wonder with Rashid (and to a lesser extent Willey) if their intermittent appearances which are due to England call ups have hampered their batting. They don't get to bat much in the middle and I wonder if they get the practice we would like in the build up to games when they are clearly seen as bowlers first and batters second.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 15 2016, 10:03 AM 

Bairstow averaged 92.33 last season, the extra bowler can be played with a keeper who can bat well. We're even more exposed in limited overs with Hodd in the side, never mind 4 day cricket.

ed the fed
(Login edthefed)

September 15 2016, 10:49 AM 

Im a newcomer to this forum......but have supported YCCC for many years.

I think a small dose of reality is needed,

Doing the hat trick okf Championships was never going to be easy, teams have learnt that if they cant beat us the next best thing is to at least they do not lose to us !

At the start of the season if someone had told me we would still be in with a shout of the Championship going into the last round of matches AND had gone to the Semis of the one day competion AND we had got to the finals day of T20...i think i would have been quite happy !

Yes there are some issues with the team,and we may be seeking the same holy messiah as every other county in wanting someone who can score a shed full of runs but at the same time not be picked for international duty !

Perhaps someone in the mould of a Siddy or Trescothick who has been there done that got the T shirt internationally but still has the experience and ability at Championship level ?

Until JGs replacement is sorted out i fear it is going to be more difficult to recruit new players, hopefully things are moving behind the scenes and once the domestic season is over an announcement can be made

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

September 15 2016, 8:00 PM 

I agree with the comments about keeping Gale

He is a solid player who did well last year.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

September 17 2016, 7:16 PM 

For those who want to sign Ben Duckett :-http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37387173

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 17 2016, 7:50 PM 

Think he will be found wanting when coming up against international bowlers as opposed to the second division lot.

If he wants an england test career then he has to play division one cricket in order to gain experience against better bowlers.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk