<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Batting Next Season

September 14 2016 at 2:58 PM
StuFletch  (Login StuFletch)

Come 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the league, there is no doubt our batting line up needs a serious overhaul next season:

Lyth - Quality player, but out of form for 2 years now. Keep but on thin ice.
Lees - See above, but (this game apart) shown signs of recovering form over last few weeks. Keep
Ballance - An enigma. Would do us a favour if England pick him. Keep (in the hope that England take him of our hands).
Gale - Should never play for Yorkshire again after Lord's. Complete passenger, captain or not . -Get rid
Leaning - See Lyth but on thinner ice. Keep/Get rid, not bothered either way.
Rhodes - Waste of a National Insurance Number - Get rid.
Hodd - See Rhodes
Bresnan - Better than all of the above on present form - move to no 6 permanently.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

Re: Batting Next Season

September 14 2016, 3:04 PM 

Assuming JB will not play then we need a wicket keeper who can consistently score runs at 6 . And a batsman at 3 who can make 1000 runs . Then Ballance at 4 where he is fine .

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 14 2016, 3:28 PM 

Lyth and Lees just only 2 of 10 players to score 1000 runs in the CC this season and they're on thin ice!

Scrap that, replied only after reading the first two assessments, now read the rest, seems like trolling to me.

This message has been edited by EastYorkshireTyke on Sep 14, 2016 3:29 PM

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 14 2016, 3:41 PM 

not really sure where this batting problem is coming from.

There are 7 other teams in the league that would love our batting problem

lest we forget, we have scored more batting points this season than anybody else.

Hate to think what we would be saying if we had the warwickshire batsmen.

Sure, we had a failure in the first innings this week, but without looking, i am sure that most if not all teams have at some stage or another this season scored below 200

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 14 2016, 3:50 PM 

StuFletch (not the 80s one, I assume): I wouldn't 'get rid' of anyone, especially not Gale, who has sweated blood for the county for all his adult life. If you think he has had his time, is too much to use the term 'suggest retirement'? The others, 'suggest release'?

Peter: we look at the same pitch and see different games !!

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 14 2016, 4:07 PM 

but my version is reflected in the cc table.

how can we say that we have an awful batting team and yet outscore all other sides in batting points?

(Login StuFletch)

September 14 2016, 4:19 PM 

Neil Hartley sweated blood for the county. Shall we bring him back? To retain Gale would be absurd. I would be saying exactly the same if we won the Championship again

(Login StuFletch)

September 14 2016, 4:22 PM 

How many of our batting points have come as a result of numbers 7-11 bailing us out?

We cannot expect to rely on the lower-middle order and tail to get us out of the mire time and time again. Hence my original point about the top 6 being subject to scrutiny.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 14 2016, 4:22 PM 

Gale is a bit of an enigma. He is too young to retire....has he just lost his skill or had a bad season?

I really don't know.

(Login Harrogate50)

September 14 2016, 4:35 PM 

Ridiculous to say our openers are on thin ice regarding there place in the side.

They have both got over thousand runs this season!!

Yes they could do with a bit if competition, but any county would take either of them

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 14 2016, 5:21 PM 

Problem is we are in a bit of limbo at end of next week with no coach for next season. I suspect Moxon oversees player recruitment and retention in the main but a new coach may have an idea of whether he fancies any of our top order or not. I suspect an outsider may view them more highly than our average WRF poster though!

Lyth and Ballance played for England as recently as the last 13 months for both of them and as others point out both openers are in the top ten run scorers in the division. They don't become bad players overnight and to think of ditching any is foolish. All three could play for England within 12 months with a good following wind.

Leaning should be out on loan somewhere to get four day cricket. He has gone backwards this year and may have suffered in many ways including different formats and different places in the order. A good winter down under may see him return stronger.

We must have an overseas batsman in the top five who is available all summer. Stability is key. I'm ok with Lehmann junior and he can only get better with more matches in longer format.

Which leaves Gale. I think it's down to him to look at this season and decide what he wants to do. Can he work with the new coach? What is he going to do this winter to find form for next year? Is he considering retirement or giving up as skipper? Are his off field interests sufficient for him to pack it in?

I'd like him to try another year partly as he offers more than just batting. I don't see an obvious skipper in waiting despite Lees and Ballance doing it this summer. To lose the coach and captain at the same time leaves a huge hole and not sure Moxon can fill it.

Sadly I'm still against keeping Hodd as Bairstows back up despite those who say he is a good keeper. I can't believe there has been no one coming through the Yorkshire junior teams capable of stepping up . Gibson Hodgson both failed to kick on and before Johnny we had another outsider in Brophy. There is plenty of movement around the counties by wicketkeepers with Mustard Wheater Davies and possibly Duckett but all seem sorted already for next season. It seems odd to me that most of the player movement for next season has been concluded before the end of this season.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

September 14 2016, 5:22 PM 

StuFletch: Not arguing with your judgements one way or another. Thought your language could have been a little more respectful, especially to Galey.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 14 2016, 6:09 PM 

Thanks to ECT and 3rdUmp for their comments. Made me feel better after the start of this thread.

Some of us are accused from time to time of wanting the forum to avoid criticism of the players. I don't think there's any poster of who that is true, but 'waste of an NI no. Get rid' is not a criticism it's an insult. If we did get rid of any of our batsmen, with one possible exception, they could choose from other offers.

The exception of course is poor Andrew Gale, but even this isn't a straightforward decision, as there aren't people knocking on the door either as batsmen or captains. I think I would now say it's time to move on, but the case is weakened by the enforced change at the top. I don't see an obvious alternative. Rafiq has some of the required qualities but recent frailties worry me and he is far from being an automatic choice. I'd probably go for Lees, but with concerns and I can see the case for another year of Gale.

As far as the batting is concerned, some write as if we were a rich football club who could just have a major clear out and buy in quality outsiders. We would argue about whether that's desirable. It's certainly not possible.

We're a good side, but we've underperformed a bit this year. We're still going into the final game with an outside chance of being champions. This isn't a crisis.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 14 2016, 7:18 PM 

The initial post is without doubt crass and needlessly insulting. Its conclusions questionable and in case of the openers, Ballance, Rhodes and Gale probably written by someone whose never set foot inside Headingley.

I've know wish to debate beyond this with someone using such a tone.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Sep 14, 2016 7:29 PM

Lewis
(Login Lewis_116)

September 14 2016, 7:41 PM 

Think some of the earlier comments are out of frustration.

No way can Lyth be called "on thin ice"

The basis for a good batting line up is there ekth the openers. The major issues have been the less of a quality and regular overseas player and the best County batsman in the competition in Bairstow.

Most of us could see his value and how many times he has saved us over the last few years.

What we need is a genuine number 3. Balance has never been that and I personally see him as a 4 or 5.

We urgently need a keeper batsman. Our balance with Hodd at 8 is all wrong.

Lyth
Lees
Overseas?
Ballance
Leaning Needs a long run. He will come good
Davies wk From Surrey

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 14 2016, 7:47 PM 

Davies would be a good signing as he is also a useful one day player, turned down a 2 year contract at Surrey so he is off somewhere hopefully to us

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 14 2016, 7:49 PM 

Davies is going to Somerset.

(Login Jacobus24)

September 14 2016, 7:49 PM 

I don't personally see a way back for Hodd. I'm hoping Gale retires then we can all wish him well for the future.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 14 2016, 8:03 PM 

Hodd is recently capped and under contract. I doubt he's going anywhere. Who would replace him? Duckett wants to stay at Northants, Wheater has signed for Essex, Davies is reputedly going to Somerset. Who else is available? Mustard? No thanks.

Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

September 14 2016, 8:09 PM 

I think Gale should step down as captain but remain available as a batsman, as I still think he can prove to be a good batsman on his day

Lyth and Lees currently look safe and hopefully no England call-ups will affect them

Our problem, compared with most other counties, is the constant questions about who will and won't be available. It impedes much chance for momentum and makes planning difficult

If not playing for England Ballance should definitely bat at 3 and in fairness the top three have been pretty good since Ballance came back in

But positions 4-7 are big questions. Gale, Leaning, Rhodes, Bresnan, Rashid, Hodd could all bat there but haven't proven consistent enough hence our struggling. In an ideal world we could recruit one or two batsmen to bat there. If Leehman was available for a long period that would be great because he's been good since coming in. Maybe there's someone from the academy?

However I feel problems have perhaps been exaggerated a little, because as I've said with Lees, Lyth and Ballance we've got a terrific top 3, our bowling attack is still one of the best in county cricket and should remain so for quite a few more years (even if Siddy retired soon it would still be very good), and we just need to find a middle order balance which is unlikely to be affected by England call-ups

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk